Wilson LED conversions - multiple models and repair

Zapp Brannigan

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 23, 2010
Got my lights back, they all are a GREAT shade of blue and all match!! Do not seem to be noticeably brighter than the original lights, I wonder if its because they are not getting driven at an appropriate/higher voltage than the old diodes?

Still love the look, can't wait to get it up and a video to compare with my original video!!

wilsonbr90

Sep 30, 2013
Corning, New York
shott8283 said:
wilson.. these are the pics of the legend I'm looking to swap from blue to red.. let me know if these are the LEDS your able to make your magic on

Those do NOT use the style of diode I stock. Those are the second generation.

HOWEVER i AM capable of converting those. It would be pricey though. About $5 per diode changed

- zapp glad you are happy. They should only be a touch brighter. As long as the boards are getting 12v that is what they should be driven for.

Wilson

shott8283

Jun 2, 2010
Western NY
wilsonbr90 said:
Those do NOT use the style of diode I stock. Those are the second generation.

HOWEVER i AM capable of converting those. It would be pricey though. About $5 per diode changed

- zapp glad you are happy. They should only be a touch brighter. As long as the boards are getting 12v that is what they should be driven for.

Wilson

thanks wilson.. ill forward that information and get back to you.

May 25, 2010
Tunkhannock, PA, USA
I received my lightheads back yesterday... Got to test them today, and WoW!!! :eek: I very impressed with them!!! And you cant even tell they were modified...

Thanks again man!!!

Zapp Brannigan

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 23, 2010
TritonBoulder47 said:
I received my lightheads back yesterday... Got to test them today, and WoW!!! :eek: I very impressed with them!!! And you cant even tell they were modified...

Thanks again man!!!

Good, now you can stop your b!tching and whining in chat!! :p

Last edited by a moderator:

Carlos SpicyWeiner

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 3, 2012
Lakeland, Florida
Zapp Brannigan said:
Good,now you can stop your b!tching and whining in chat!! :p

yes... thankgod

wilsonbr90

Sep 30, 2013
Corning, New York
Fresh news. Doing a few trial runs of lr-11's converted to color. Using the exact LEDs that are used by Whelen (Cree). Already did a set of blue and they look good. I can do them 2 different ways if anyone is interested.

Other new news. I am capable of populating 400 series 6 over 3. It would be some above board circuitry but it would be invisible. 500 series populations are still kind of hit and miss.

Also if anyone is interested in custom lights I may be able to put something together.

Wilson

Shawn L

May 21, 2010
Corbett, Oregon
whats the cost estimate on a Whelen 400 series , fully populating a 6x3, not changing any colors just adding the extra 3 leds to the lower segment? thanks Shawn

MEVS06

May 23, 2010
San Antonio, TX
Shawn L said:
whats the cost estimate on a Whelen 400 series , fully populating a 6x3, not changing any colors just adding the extra 3 leds to the lower segment? thanks Shawn

I thought Wilson said it could not be done due to not having the right circuitry for 3 more LEDs.

rwo978

May 21, 2010
ND, USA
wilsonbr90 said:
Other new news. I am capable of populating 400 series 6 over 3. It would be some above board circuitry but it would be invisible. 500 series populations are still kind of hit and miss.

Wilson

MEVS06 said:
I thought Wilson said it could not be done due to not having the right circuitry for 3 more LEDs.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :razz: :razz: :eek: :eek:

wilsonbr90

Sep 30, 2013
Corning, New York
Above board circuitry. Been kicking the idea around. I'm getting more and more proficient at this art. And for those of you that we had business, if I have worked on the light I'll take $2 off because I won't have to work to get them apart again. Currently I have a process it takes about 30min a light just to get them apart so I can change them. If I don't have that time in it, the better.

May 21, 2010
Berlin, MI, 48002
Just wanted to say if anyone is on the fence about Wilson's conversions...DO IT!

I had 16 Solaris modules changed to amber & 2 LIN6s changed to white. I've only gotten a chance to fire the white ones up so far. I have to say they look great!

massbowtie

May 24, 2010
mass.
Im curious to know what you are willing to make that are custom ? I had asked you in pm before about making copies of tir 3`s but you didnt seem interested,I mean you never replied back to me. Let me know if you would be willing to make modules with 3 leds measuring about the same as a whelen tir 3 in amber and a minimum of 10 modules that could be mounted with screws on each end of it or even double sided tape and they dont need to be waterproof as they are going into a light bar.

Thanks.

Mike

Last edited by a moderator:

MEVS06

May 23, 2010
San Antonio, TX
massbowtie said:
Im curious to know what you are willing to make that are custom ? I had asked you in pm before about making copies of tir 3`s but you didnt seem interested,I mean you never replied back to me. Let me know if you would be willing to make modules with 3 leds and measuring about the same as a whelen tir 3 in amber and a minimum of 10 modules.
Thanks.

Mike

Contact staff@outletpse.com for some American made TIR3 style leds in amber. Really good prices on those. Heck you might even qualify for an ELB discount too.

wilsonbr90

Sep 30, 2013
Corning, New York
massbowtie said:
Im curious to know what you are willing to make that are custom ? I had asked you in pm before about making copies of tir 3`s but you didnt seem interested,I mean you never replied back to me. Let me know if you would be willing to make modules with 3 leds measuring about the same as a whelen tir 3 in amber and a minimum of 10 modules that could be mounted with screws on each end of it or even double sided tape and they dont need to be waterproof as they are going into a light bar.
Thanks.

Mike

Waiting on parts to make some prototypes. I need a standard platform before I start producing. I was just gauging interest at the moment. I apologize for not getting back to you sooner

wilsonbr90

Sep 30, 2013
Corning, New York
Thanks everybody.

Anyone interested in reliability. My steady burn light I converted has been burning bright for over 3,000 hours now. And no signs of death anytime soon.

I've got lr-11's down for anyone that's interested. The usual colors. Direct Cree diode replacement. $25 each.

My workshop is empty right now, so who wants to send me some lights!

rwo978

May 21, 2010
ND, USA
I'll be sending batch 2 here shortly... Keeps getting pushed to the back burner.

NVFD612

May 25, 2010
Indiana
Wilsonbr90,

I have a couple Justice corners I need to switch from red to blue. By any chance do you think you can switch those out (difficulty wise)? I haven't seen any Whelen Justice comments yet, so this is why I am asking.

Dennis

resQyou

wilsonbr90

Sep 30, 2013
Corning, New York
resQyou said:
Wilsonbr90,

I have a couple Justice corners I need to switch from red to blue. By any chance do you think you can switch those out (difficulty wise)? I haven't seen any Whelen Justice comments yet, so this is why I am asking.

Dennis

resQyou

Shouldn't be a problem sir.

May 25, 2010
Tunkhannock, PA, USA
wilsonbr90 said:
Thanks everybody.

Anyone interested in reliability. My steady burn light I converted has been burning bright for over 3,000 hours now. And no signs of death anytime soon.

I've got lr-11's down for anyone that's interested. The usual colors. Direct Cree diode replacement. $25 each.

My workshop is empty right now, so who wants to send me some lights!

Great... Now I HAVE to get some LR-11s... lol I wonder if a conversion on SXTDLEDs could be done... lol :undecided:

MEVS06

May 23, 2010
San Antonio, TX
TritonBoulder47 said:
Great... Now I HAVE to get some LR-11s... lol I wonder if a conversion on SXTDLEDs could be done... lol :undecided:

I hope so, I want to make a custom liberty with a few of those.... lol now that will probably be about as bright as my Defender.

wilsonbr90

Sep 30, 2013
Corning, New York
TritonBoulder47 said:

Yes it can! As long as I can open it up!

May 31, 2010
Aurora, Coloado
Have gotten some Whelen 400 series heads done along with Code3 LEDX heads

All are awesome.

This service may change what I do with Auction bought/used equipment as a whole.

Thanks!!

Shawn L

May 21, 2010
Corbett, Oregon
you converted some code 3 leds heads to white so I could use them as takedowns, (they are totally awesome BTW) are you able to use those same didoes in other colors? they seem to be much brighter than the stock red ledx heads I have .

wilsonbr90

Sep 30, 2013
Corning, New York
Shawn L said:
you converted some code 3 leds heads to white so I could use them as takedowns, (they are totally awesome BTW) are you able to use those same didoes in other colors? they seem to be much brighter than the stock red ledx heads I have .

Light output is dependent on color. You don't get the same amount of lumens out of red as you do blue/ white. All my diodes I stock use the same platform, so yes I can make the ledx heads any color you wish. As far as brightness I did buy a light meter and the diodes I use were slightly brighter than whelen stock diodes. At the very least they are brand new and therefore would be brighter than any light that has seen service or the elements. The diodes themselves are the failure point of the lighthead. Resistors and transistors have a much much slower degrade compared to LEDs. When I put in new diodes you are essentially getting a brand new light again

medic550

May 24, 2010
pa usa
Have you done anything on 911ep 360 stars. Got one here which is half red/blue and would like to see if it can be converted to all blue? Will try to take a photo tomorrow.

Frank

Zapp Brannigan

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 23, 2010

wilsonbr90

Sep 30, 2013
Corning, New York
Actually it is the same style. I have no problems converting one. Wish they were cheaper I wanted to buy one just for fun sake and make it every color.

rwo978

May 21, 2010
ND, USA
without going thru the whole thread again, are you able populate the amber portion of the TX DPS 400 modules? Or color change in general? The heads don't come apart the easiest, if at all for me.

Zapp Brannigan

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 23, 2010
rwo978 said:
without going thru the whole thread again, are you able populate the amber portion of the TX DPS 400 modules? Or color change in general? The heads don't come apart the easiest, if at all for me.

Shawn L said:
here are pics of the Whelen 400 series 6x6 modules, its looking to me like they are not serviceable .
View attachment 62716

View attachment 62717

View attachment 62718

wilsonbr90 said:
As far as the 400's I don't have one in my hand. I'm 95% sure by the pictures I'm able to convert but I'm not making any promises. Still haven't received any lights from anyone. Once I start getting some I will post pictures and more information.

wilsonbr90 said:
I'm taking the 400's off the list unless they are confirmed that they do not have the silicone under the optics. It would be squishy right around the led. If your model does not I'd be more than glad to work on it. I have confirmed I can populate those. So the guys with the dps heads; I can change the color, I can populate the heads, the silicone that secures the pieces together is nasty. If you want me to populate I will do this on a one person basis.
Thanks

Shawn L said:
the pics I posted above are of a DPS depopulated head, they appear to have a coating, around the leds, ( it seems to be harder than silicone but it does have some squish to it.)

wilsonbr90 said:
Reddany already sent me a few to look at. Your right its not exactly silicone but I assure you its squishy. I'm not sure if every 400 series head is that way. Whether the corners are set up like that or not. There's just about a 50% chance of cracking the backing when I get it apart. Then I have to deal with the whole board coated in it. If your not worried about the weatherability I'm willing to do a few. But the price per head is going up some too because it take about 30min a head just to open it up.

wilsonbr90 said:
UPDATE: 400's are on for color changes. I cannot populate. The circuitry is there, not the components. I will color change any 400 style light and corner modules. This includes freedom corners.

Reactions: Hoff

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Safetylight5

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.