Wilson LED conversions - multiple models and repair

wilsonbr90

Sep 30, 2013
Corning, New York
rwo978 said:
without going thru the whole thread again, are you able populate the amber portion of the TX DPS 400 modules? Or color change in general? The heads don't come apart the easiest, if at all for me.

Actually I can. I've done quite a few 400's. Especially the dps ones.

wilsonbr90 said:
Fresh news. Doing a few trial runs of lr-11's converted to color. Using the exact LEDs that are used by Whelen (Cree). Already did a set of blue and they look good. I can do them 2 different ways if anyone is interested.

Other new news. I am capable of populating 400 series 6 over 3. It would be some above board circuitry but it would be invisible. 500 series populations are still kind of hit and miss.

Also if anyone is interested in custom lights I may be able to put something together.

Wilson

rwo978

May 21, 2010
ND, USA
wilsonbr90 said:
Actually I can. I've done quite a few 400's. Especially the dps ones.

Do you have any pics of the completed ones? Just curious where the above board wires are.

wilsonbr90

Sep 30, 2013
Corning, New York
rwo978 said:
Do you have any pics of the completed ones? Just curious where the above board wires are.

No I don't. None of the circuitry I add is visible from the head unless you take it apart. The majority of it is utilized with what exists on the board.

rwo978

May 21, 2010
ND, USA
wilsonbr90 said:
No I don't. None of the circuitry I add is visible from the head unless you take it apart. The majority of it is utilized with what exists on the board.

That's what I thought, but just wanted clarification.

wilsonbr90

Sep 30, 2013
Corning, New York
wilmfire said:
I just sent you a PM.

Replied

On a new note. I am now offering to change the wire to match the new color of the head change. Same size wire or larger with amp pin if it came in with it. +$1/head

PJD642

May 20, 2010
east of Cleveland
wilsonbr90 said:
Replied

On a new note. I am now offering to change the wire to match the new color of the head change. Same size wire or larger with amp pin if it came in with it. +$1/head

If you haven't already finished that 400 head I sent, would you please do this? That way I won't be guessing if it's red or blue :)

Mrlunchbox

Jun 12, 2010
Central, MA
Alright, i've finally got a light for you to change! LoL I just bought a red/blue talon. Need the blue changed to clear. So thats 10$? Also I should just ship the whole thing I presume? Never taken a talon apart. Thanks!!

elite907

May 23, 2010
Indiana, USA
Sent 4 Cuda pods & 4 911ep boards . Got them back today and omfg these things are extremely brighter than the originals.

If anyone has questioned his work,Don't hesitate. Will be sending him more in the future.:thumbup:

Mrbaxter

Oct 16, 2013
Connecticut
I bought 2 Whelen SPECTIR8s from cvvfdjones in red/white and had them sent to Wilson for a conversion to blue. I got them from him in just under a week. I had never seen a SPEC8 in person until I purchased the lights from Jones. I was skeptical when I saw a stock version to Whelen, and I was considering canceling the order. But I'm more than glad I kept them. I cannot recommend Wilson's work enough. He turned these not so great, older style lights into functional and effective traffic movers. The top picture is before the conversion, and bottom is after. The bottom picture was taken with the sun behind me about an hour before setting.

spec8 prior.jpg

IMG_0160.jpg

massbowtie

May 24, 2010
mass.
Wilson,

I got the reply with your address to send my 911 modules. I wanted to make sure that the lenses/diffusers will still fit with the new leds ? I can send one along with the modules if you need to check ? Just let me know,I will be sending them out tomorrow.

Thanks again

Mike Johnson

Jun 26, 2010
Massachusetts
Here's an oddball! I have an all blue liberty. I'm in need of a combo bar... Red and blue. Can you re-led/re-wire my all blue LEDs to do red and blue so I can control them independently via my new freedom we-can I/O board that I plan on installing in the bar. Some days I need all red, others all blue. Basically four linear 12 corners and 8 linear 6 inboards.

Last edited by a moderator:

wilsonbr90

Sep 30, 2013
Corning, New York
massfirefighter said:
Here's an oddball! I have an all blue liberty. I'm in need of a combo bar... Red and blue. Can you re-led/re-wire my all blue LEDs to do red and blue so I can control them independently via my new freedom we-can I/O board that I plan on installing in the bar. Some days I need all red, others all blue. Basically four linear 12 corners and 8 linear 6 inboards.

So your interested in making 1 pod do both colors? :scratcheshead:

I can't do witchcraft here. Now I could set you up 50/50 with blue and red, but not your typical setup.

Like this for instance

BRRBRBBR

A. A

RBBRBRRB

I just redid my all blue liberty. Had the standard halogen takedowns and alleys which are useless to me. Got rid of those added 4 tir6s, 2 front and rear, lin6 ambers in the alleys and converted 4 modules, 2 front and rear to amber

Not mention the corners were that teal blue so I changed all of those too.

BBABBABB

A. A

BBABBABB

Going to need more brain thought from you.

I possibly might be able to make split modules... But I can't make a lin6 full power red and blue, it would be 50% of each head... Get what I'm saying?

Jun 26, 2010
Massachusetts
50/50 each head was my thought. It would look like an economy head when activated. It would probably mean board work for every other led to be tied together. I'd have to do some splicing off the I/O board and play with the patterns through We-Can to get it to do one color at a time.

Just a crazy thought.

elite907

May 23, 2010
Indiana, USA
massfirefighter said:
50/50 each head was my thought. It would look like an economy head when activated. It would probably mean board work for every other led to be tied together. I'd have to do some splicing off the I/O board and play with the patterns through We-Can to get it to do one color at a time.
Just a crazy thought.

I don't either of you are understanding what the other is really saying. Mass you want a 50/50 bar AKA a duo bar ? And Wilson is saying he can make the bar 1/2 R & 1/2 B, But all colors will come on at the same time. So unless you had a Freedom Bar that has 2 seperate plugs on the back to activate each row of leds, Then I don't think he can do what your wanting.

wilsonbr90

Sep 30, 2013
Corning, New York
He already said he was going to put a freedom control in so he could only activate 1 color.

As far as 50/50 heads its a possibility. It would be far easier to do 3 diodes of each rather than interweaved because that's how its set up. I can definitely do that. Interweaved would be a pain.

rwo978

May 21, 2010
ND, USA
Whelen did make interweaved LIN6s that were mainly purposed for rear arrowsticks (R/A & B/A). There have been some on eBay lately. You could get those and have the LEDs changed over to whatever colors you need.

The corners, that's a whole other ball of wax. Not really sure how you're going to accomplish that.

elite907

May 23, 2010
Indiana, USA
wilsonbr90 said:
He already said he was going to put a freedom control in so he could only activate 1 color.

As far as 50/50 heads its a possibility. It would be far easier to do 3 diodes of each rather than interweaved because that's how its set up. I can definitely do that. Interweaved would be a pain.

I understand that but if the light heads themselves are not set up with to a separate activation plug then it doesn't matter what kind of controller you use it will not active the lighthead independently . So Basically you could hit one switch to have blue and then you can have another switch to have amber .

wilsonbr90

Sep 30, 2013
Corning, New York
Eh. I can make these with seperate control. I thought that was implied but I guess not. So there would be 2 plugs similar to that of a 400 series. Just in a single head.

Rwo I knew these were made but I think he was trying to utilize the modules he already has.

PJD642

May 20, 2010
east of Cleveland
Late, but Kudos to Wilson - he added a 3rd row of LEDs to a 700 series scene light I have, and swapped out some older blue LEDs for newer ones in a 400 head. Noticeable difference in the 400, and of course the 700 is 50% brighter!

rwo978

May 21, 2010
ND, USA
Jun 26, 2010
Massachusetts
rwo978 said:
These are heads from an InnerEdge/Innerbeam/Rear Deck Talon, mounts are different that the standard 6 tab. However, you can disassemble the heads and swap out the LED boards.

Whelen LIN6 Duel LED for Lightbar and Traffic Advisor | eBay

ai.ebayimg.com_00_s_MTIwMFgxNjAw_z_v_IAAOxy2d9SUhk7__24T2eC16d___8E9s4l8hsmBSUhk65_F___60_57.JPG

ai.ebayimg.com_00_s_MTIwMFgxNjAw_z_NRwAAOxy79JSUhlB__24_KGrHqV__lMFIyF2fW1yBSUhl_t7ew__60_57.JPG

This is the concept I'm looking for. 2 inputs per head for separate control. I'd like interleaved rather than 1/2 and 1/2. Sounds like it would be a PITA to do custom.

wilsonbr90

Sep 30, 2013
Corning, New York
massfirefighter said:
This is the concept I'm looking for. 2 inputs per head for separate control. I'd like interleaved rather than 1/2 and 1/2. Sounds like it would be a PITA to do custom.

Yes unless you buy the already interweaved heads. I can for sure do the 50/50 if anyone is interested. I have a spare I'll do it to and post some pictures.

rwo978

May 21, 2010
ND, USA
wilsonbr90 said:
Yes unless you buy the already interweaved heads. I can for sure do the 50/50 if anyone is interested. I have a spare I'll do it to and post some pictures.

That's what I was getting at... buy an existing interweave head like above and just do the color swap.

On another note, I was going to custom build a Responder LED with these heads, R/B on one LED flasher, Amber on another. Yet another project for the 'custom' list.

wilsonbr90

Sep 30, 2013
Corning, New York
rwo978 said:
That's what I was getting at... buy an existing interweave head like above and just do the color swap.

On another note, I was going to custom build a Responder LED with these heads, R/B on one LED flasher, Amber on another. Yet another project for the 'custom' list.

I agree but he said he has an all blue bar already and I assume he wants to try and use the modules he already has

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
airflores

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.