Would like some feedback/advice, please.

DalmatProd

Dec 26, 2011
USA - FL
Hi Gang,
I haven't been around much for quite a while, mostly due to some ongoing health problems. At least it gave me time to finish my book about becoming a volunteer FF in North Carolina.
The SUV's I've been driving are leased, so for some "caution" lights I've installed, they've all been "plug & play." No hard-wiring; simply using the several outlets and a couple of switches. It's worked well, for the most part. One of the problems I've had to deal with, being unable to make a "hard" mount, is for the rear side windows of the SUV. I've looked and looked for small bar lights (2-3 modules) that would mount horizontally on a flat window with suction cups. People searching for Bigfoot have had more luck than I have!

As of tomorrow (2/25/16), I'll be leasing a new 2016 Pilot. And when I looked at the grills, I was curious if there are small lights out there that I could either mount with a bracket or even with zip-ties and just run the wires into my small switch panel that fits up front.

I've posted pics of both the main grill and the lower grill. I hope they're clear enough for you to be able to tell.
Thanks,
Steve

Attachments

• Grill Pic #1.JPG
    Grill Pic #1.JPG
    111.7 KB · Views: 9
  • Grill Pic #2.JPG
    Grill Pic #2.JPG
    185.4 KB · Views: 9

Carlos SpicyWeiner

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 3, 2012
Lakeland, Florida
you could easily zip tie some grill lights there if you really want something easily installed/removable. Key thing is going to be running the wire in through the firewall. Congrats on the new vehicle.. Keep that back safe

Reactions: Tony P

Jarred J.

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
Shelbyville, TN
whelen slimlighters mount horizontally and so did micro man lights...

DalmatProd

Dec 26, 2011
USA - FL
you could easily zip tie some grill lights there if you really want something easily installed/removable. Key thing is going to be running the wire in through the firewall. Congrats on the new vehicle.. Keep that back safe
Nic,
Thanks for getting back to me. First, do you carry replacement suction cups for the Feniex ENT-019 (200??). Actually, I'm not sure if I can replace the cups or if I have to replace the entire mounting bracket. Either, I have to buy something to take of re-mounting in the new car. The current cups dried out in the sun and it was a job to remove it from the windshield!
#2 - You're absolutely correct about the firewall. This new engine compartment is buttoned-up tighter than a medieval chastity belt! So, even if I could mount the lights on the grill, I can't see a way into the driver's compartment (or vice versa) without compromising the deal with not interfering with the electrical components.
3. Any word on the bars that can be mounted on flat windows?

Thanks and hope you're doing well and feeling better! We need to chat sometime soon and catch-up.

Stay Safe and talk soon.
Steve

DalmatProd

Dec 26, 2011
USA - FL
whelen slimlighters mount horizontally and so did micro man lights...
Do/can they mount with suction cups? In a leased vehicle, everything needs to be "portable" and "plug & play!"
Thanks!
Steve

StEaLtH2

Mar 3, 2011
New England
I have had slim lighters mounted with the suction cups straight out before.
Use an alcohol prep pad on the glass and cups first.

DalmatProd

Dec 26, 2011
USA - FL
Thanks. I'll check that out!

DalmatProd

Dec 26, 2011
USA - FL
Well, now that I got the ready to prep it for my lights, I've hit a frickin' brick wall. On my 2013 Pilot, I had purchased the headliner slides to mount the Feniex 400 behind the rear window of the lift gate. I just went to install it in my new 2016 Pilot and there is no headliner to mount it to!
So right now, I'm "up the creek!" As far as I know, there are no suction cup mounts available for the old 400, unless the mounting kit for the Cobra would work with the 400? Remember, this is for the rear window located in the lift gate. It isn't the slanted glass of the windshield!
Nic, any advice??
Thanks,
Steve

Carlos SpicyWeiner

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 3, 2012
Lakeland, Florida
I was thinking about this the other day. what about using 2 L-brackets and some of the 3m scotch lock stuff to get it to attach to the window. have one Lbracket come down and back in (towards the front of the light that faces back out of the window) then have the other one bolted to that L-bracket and have it pretty much be flush to the window. Then using the 3m velcro type stuff they use for sunpasses to attach it to the window. (Basically Two L-brackets would almost make an "S" bracket if mated the right way)

DalmatProd

Dec 26, 2011
USA - FL
Nic, in my mind's eye, it sounds like it might work. "Might," is due to the difference in the weight of the 400 and the weight of the Sunpass. Speaking of weight, in my initial posting I asked if you might have either the suction cups themselves or a replacement bracket with them for the Feniex Hornet? It seems that I had cleaned my windshield and the suction cups so well back in June before a road trip, they dried out on the windshield. I had a helluva time taking it down from the old pilot and now, their dried out and don't hold a suction very well.
OK, so back to the bracket. I have no idea how to fabricate the good idea, nor do I know anyone here in the greater FLL area that has one and knows his/her stuff. I was also thinking of searching for two short "L" brackets that have a screw hole through one side and use the end-cap screw from the lightbar to affix it and the suction cup on the second leg?
Hopefully, some other readers might come up with an idea or two or I wind up losing the one light that protects me the most!
Thanks,
Steve

Carlos SpicyWeiner

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 3, 2012
Lakeland, Florida
I will send you some replacement suction cup brackets Steve. Just E-mail me Nic@feverinc.net.

Pass on the triple threat. flat window mounted suction cups really don't work well down here. Suction cups in general arnt that great.

With the weight difference in the sunpass to cobra 800 we could just add a couple of extra brackets. I would the surface area for two L-brackets would provide enough strength to hold a cobra 400 in place though. That sunpass stuff is pretty damn strong. Thats why it is pretty pricey at home depot.

DalmatProd

Dec 26, 2011
USA - FL
Tuesday 3/15/2016 - Well, when they say, "listen to the experts," they're absolutely right. I have a leased vehicle and cannot mount lights. Anything I want to add must be "plug & play." With my previous model of the Honda Pilot, I purchased a great Cobra 400 and two header brackets. It worked very well for the 3 years I had the truck.

As stated above, I had to lease anew last month. And, I took the new Pilot. What I didn't know or notice (my fault!) the header on the new model is completely different and those brackets wouldn't work. I looked around on line for several weeks and found an outfitter that sold a "Cobra 400 Suction Cup Conversion" kit. It included several times of brackets, new end-caps for the light and 3" clear suction cups.

After a great deal of poor communication between the seller and me, I was finally able to figure out which brackets were right for my mounting need and added the cups. The result? Squat - Nada! The seller already refunded me for the lousy kits, its lack of diagrams or instructions and the failure of the product to do what it was sold to do.

At the moment, I don't know what I'm going to do. There have been a couple of possible decent remedies, but they required machined brackets. Which I have no access to.

So, I'm passing on a "buyer beware," not about the seller, but about the kit, if you also need a non-permanent mounting solution for LED light sticks. Don't buy the "Cobra 400 Suction Cup Conversion Kit!"

Not sure what I'm going to do right now. But I didn't want anyone else to fall into the same trap.

Stay Safe!
Steve

Carlos SpicyWeiner

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 3, 2012
Lakeland, Florida
Tuesday 3/15/2016 - Well, when they say, "listen to the experts," they're absolutely right. I have a leased vehicle and cannot mount lights. Anything I want to add must be "plug & play." With my previous model of the Honda Pilot, I purchased a great Cobra 400 and two header brackets. It worked very well for the 3 years I had the truck.

As stated above, I had to lease anew last month. And, I took the new Pilot. What I didn't know or notice (my fault!) the header on the new model is completely different and those brackets wouldn't work. I looked around on line for several weeks and found an outfitter that sold a "Cobra 400 Suction Cup Conversion" kit. It included several times of brackets, new end-caps for the light and 3" clear suction cups.

After a great deal of poor communication between the seller and me, I was finally able to figure out which brackets were right for my mounting need and added the cups. The result? Squat - Nada! The seller already refunded me for the lousy kits, its lack of diagrams or instructions and the failure of the product to do what it was sold to do.

At the moment, I don't know what I'm going to do. There have been a couple of possible decent remedies, but they required machined brackets. Which I have no access to.

So, I'm passing on a "buyer beware," not about the seller, but about the kit, if you also need a non-permanent mounting solution for LED light sticks. Don't buy the "Cobra 400 Suction Cup Conversion Kit!"

Not sure what I'm going to do right now. But I didn't want anyone else to fall into the same trap.

Stay Safe!
Steve
Steve do I still owe you an email? I've been slammed with moving the shops around. Ps. There is no suction cup conversion kit for the cobra 400. Anyone selling one concocted it. And honestly it's a bad idea because of the size. I might have another idea using what you already have though.

DalmatProd

Dec 26, 2011
USA - FL
Yup, buster! You do. I dropped you a direct email on Saturday afternoon. That's when I threw in the towel! I'm glad I kept all the original pieces and screws to bring the light back to its original state. A also mentioned that I need to buy several of the Feniex light clips that secure the modules. In the course of try to retro-fit one broke and one more is about to. The personal email has my address. Just let me know how much they are, like for 6, please?

I'd definitely be interested in your idea when you have the chance.
Thanks!!!
Steve

DalmatProd

Dec 26, 2011
USA - FL
Bill - Thanks for the feedback. Did you use the Gorilla tape to mount an LED light stick to a flat window? And, will it come off "relatively easy" when the lease is up?
Thanks!
Steve

Carlos SpicyWeiner

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 3, 2012
Lakeland, Florida
Use your headliner brackets and put the long side on the window with doublesided tape. Then bend the short side to the appropriate angle for the Cobra 400. Sit the Cobra 400 on top of it and use the double sided tape there to hold it on top of them.

DalmatProd

Dec 26, 2011
USA - FL
Nic,
I think I get it, but not 100% clear. Would you please be able to draw a simple diagram?
I think my next door neighbor has a vice and he'll help me with whatever I need to do with the brackets. In the mean time, I'll remove all the new parts. Luckily, I had saved all the originals!
Thanks, and please don't forget to tell me how much for the half-dozen Feniex clips that secure the modules and I'll either send it off or pay for it on your web site if you place them there for me to order.
As always, thanks for your patience and understanding.
Steve

firepopo233

Mar 30, 2016
Upstate NY
The tape comes off fairly easy with a razor blade. It is tough stuff!
Hi All I am new to the forum. I have a question and I am hoping for some help here. I am trying to mount an interior light bar in the rear window of a 2013 Toyota Highlander that I am leasing. So that means no holes in the headliner and no visible damage or alterations to the interior. I tried using the suction cup mounts that came with it but the windo has a curve in it which makes it nearly impossible to stick it to the back window. Any help would be much appreciated. I am trying to mount an STL Striker multi color light bar. Thxs in advance

firepopo233

Mar 30, 2016
Upstate NY
Hi All I am new to the forum. I have a question and I am hoping for some help here. I am trying to mount an interior light bar in the rear window of a 2013 Toyota Highlander that I am leasing. So that means no holes in the headliner and no visible damage or alterations to the interior. I tried using the suction cup mounts that came with it but the windo has a curve in it which makes it nearly impossible to stick it to the back window. Any help would be much appreciated. I am trying to mount an STL Striker multi color light bar. Thxs in advance
Ok was that tape comment meant for me and if so what am I sticking it to lol

Eric1249

Jul 12, 2010
Waukesha WI USA
The guy I plow for wanted an easy way to mount some lights in the rear window of the pick ups. He went with the T3. So we made a bracket that uses two sided tape. I will attach a pic. It is the bracket is the second from the left. Two sided tape holed well if you clean the surfaces well.

Would not drilling holes be considered plug and play? Or does everything have to be on something like a plug?

Attachments

• IMG_6153.JPG
    IMG_6153.JPG
    52.9 KB · Views: 14

Bill Boyd

Jul 6, 2010
Avon, NY
I would stick the double sided tape to where the suction cups normally would be. I cleaned the surfaces with rubbing alcohol first, and then put the tape one. Worked well.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gasman

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.