Odd idea for CTS fans...

CrownVic97

May 21, 2010
Hazen, ND
I thought of this last night and decided to share it with those on the board who have Cali TwinSonics and let you ponder it as well:

Is it possible to take another PAR46 CTS bulb assembly and put it on the PASSENGER side so that you have dual red and blue steady burn to the front and alternating amber flashers to the rear? I know that'd a passenger blue dome will have to be carefully cut in CTS fashion for the rear amber cutout, but have any CTS owners considered trying that? Share your thoughts :D .

CrownVic97

May 21, 2010
Hazen, ND
That's a good question, Dan. I suppose that if you move the motor and gear cage into the center of the bar (somebody here did that trick to a TwinSonic, can't remember who though) with the correct slack of chains, it's possible. Here's a pic for reference to the interior layout of a CTS for those who are wondering:

Courtesy of I3gtvr4 (somebody on photobucket, possible member, who knows? :haha: )

ai744.photobucket.com_albums_xx83_l3gtvr4_elightz_20Lights_misc_008.jpg

Keith K.

May 21, 2010
Western States
The motor assembly could be relocated under the speaker cover and with some modifications a flasher assembly could be reversed to mirror the other side. I have thought about doing this and if I ever come across a CTS that needs an entire rehab I will probably do it (Ryan might have a heart attack though). The down side it would be that the lightbar could only be used for displays as I would not want the motor and cage exposed to the elements.

CrownVic97 said:
That's a good question, Dan. I suppose that if you move the motor and gear cage into the center of the bar (somebody here did that trick to a TwinSonic, can't remember who though) with the correct slack of chains, it's possible. Here's a pic for reference to the interior layout of a CTS for those who are wondering:

Courtesy of I3gtvr4 (somebody on photobucket, possible member, who knows? :haha: )

ai744.photobucket.com_albums_xx83_l3gtvr4_elightz_20Lights_misc_008.jpg

ryan

May 20, 2010
Massillon, Ohio
Memphis134a did that conversion. I have thought about doing this. I can easily make CTS domes with cutouts anywhere on the dome. I have a red DS dome coming with a clear section to the front for a T/D light conversion.

ryan

May 20, 2010
Massillon, Ohio
fedsig7 said:
A friend of mine bought a CTS bar from an employee from Federal Signal. It has a red dome with a rear clear cutout, and on the blue dome, it had a front amber cutout. Here's some pics:

[Broken External Image]:http://i1000.photobucket.com/albums/af128/sheriff77/IMG_8754.jpg

This is a cool idea. I can tell these aren't production pieces as they are not glued and siliconed.

[Broken External Image]:http://i1000.photobucket.com/albums/af128/sheriff77/IMG_7576.jpg

This is a MCSO dome and was mounted on drivers side of all blue CTS bars. another none production dome, prolly a display piece

Let him know I am interested if he is selling. Also, his speaker cover is backwards.

stansdds

May 25, 2010
U.S.A., Virginia
To do this to a CTS would require moving the motor to the speaker housing, then you need a custom made passenger side dome. Much easier to do would be a 12EF with V-mirror option, clear domes, red and blue fixed PAR-36's to the front, amber PAR-36's to the rear, connect the flasher to the rear PAR-36's only.

CrownVic97

May 21, 2010
Hazen, ND
stansdds said:
To do this to a CTS would require moving the motor to the speaker housing, then you need a custom made passenger side dome. Much easier to do would be a 12EF with V-mirror option, clear domes, red and blue fixed PAR-36's to the front, amber PAR-36's to the rear, connect the flasher to the rear PAR-36's only.

Easier with a 12EF, yes, but it wouldn't look like the trademark CTS without the amber cutouts on solid color domes and par46 bulb assemblies. The 12EF idea is much simpler, but for the major CTS fans, it wouldn't be the same. I know an idea like this is a lot of work for somebody to try, but it's just that, a fun idea :cool: .

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bfpd108

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.