Federal NOS Visibar curiosity; AeroDynic gear meshing . . . or not

fyrboy

May 24, 2010
NC
Surprised to see the aluminum inner bar has mounting holes at each end but the outer stainless sleeve has only holes for speaker mounting.

ai458.photobucket.com_albums_qq304_fyrboy1_Federal_20Twin_20Beacon_20Ray_IMG_8316.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

stansdds

May 25, 2010
U.S.A., Virginia
I like the Federal 184 series too, just as durable as the Beacon Ray, but with dome and bulb retaining systems that allow for easier maintenance. The Same goes for the model 14. :thumbsup:

Wailer

May 24, 2010
Canada
Whenever I see Federal CJ speaker/lights I think of the sound of the late 1960s Federal PA15A and PA20A sirens with the low-pitched wail and yelp tones. Those sirens sound great with the CJ184/284 speakers.

orion61243

Mar 5, 2011
United States Fl
My favorite too. Although I preferred the aftermarket "rounded" dome vs the flat top Federal stock domes. My dad started his career in law enforcement in the 70's and a fellow deputy put aircraft landing lights in his beacon and ended up melting the dome!

Skip Goulet

Feb 23, 2011
Midland, TX
dmathieu said:
The 184 has always been a favorite of mine, just bigger than I tend to collect.

I agree, Dan. Aside from the 174s, the 184s have been one of my favorites. I think Federal hit on something when they came out with the 184s because they sold well and were well-copied.

Skip Goulet

Feb 23, 2011
Midland, TX
ryan said:
I have a new old stock 48" visibar rack just like that.

I have a VisiBar that's in remarkable shape for its age. Came from the small town of Gorman, TX, where it had been used originally on a firetruck. The city needed for another truck so it came off the fire truck. Speaker was removed and the red domes were replaced with amber, which are still on the bar. The fellow I got it from had a bar-mount CP25 speaker, so it came with the bar and I found a couple of red 14 domes from my fire chief friend in SC who has tons of lightbars, domes and speakers, etc. for sale.

stansdds

May 25, 2010
U.S.A., Virginia
Skip Goulet said:
I agree, Dan. Aside from the 174s, the 184s have been one of my favorites. I think Federal hit on something when they came out with the 184s because they sold well and were well-copied.

Federal did hit on something, but the 184, I believe, was actually a response to the Deitz 211. The Deitz 211, a lower profile, four bulb, flat top beacon was introduced in 1959. The 184, Federal's low profile, four bulb, flat top beacon, was introduced in 1964.

Skip Goulet

Feb 23, 2011
Midland, TX
stansdds said:
Federal did hit on something, but the 184, I believe, was actually a response to the Deitz 211. The Deitz 211, a lower profile, four bulb, flat top beacon was introduced in 1959. The 184, Federal's low profile, four bulb, flat top beacon, was introduced in 1964.

You're right. The 211 is a much older light. I had forgotten that when I made my post.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ErikH

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.