Whelen Edge/9M questions

PJD642

May 20, 2010
east of Cleveland
**I checked sticky threads and didn't see answers to these questions. Probably see obvious to everyone who works with these things every day, but I'm still learning. If I overlooked a thread with the info here, please point out the correct thread & move this one**

I've got a bunch of 400 & 700 series lightheads I was gonna use to build a custom Jet bar, but am now thinking I want to build a mini-Edge bar instead. Since I don't have one to look at and measure, I've got questions:

- Edge & 9M bars are the same for all practical intents, at least as far a mounting 400 and 700 series LED heads, right?

- Ultra Edge bars are deeper front-to-back than regular Edge bars, and need different end caps? Any other differences?

- How much do the end caps overlap the frame on the ends, and how much room do the black spacers take up between lenses? (I'm trying to figure out how long a piece frame I will need to build the bar I'm picturing)

- What is the correct name for the additional mounting pieces I will need to hold the 400/700 series LED heads in place?

- Do the 400 series heads fit into the ends of the bar where alley lights normally are, or do I need special mounts for those too?

Any other specific information I ought to know before I start this? Recommendations (other than the classifieds here, naturally) for lenses & other parts at a good price?

shues

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
NW Indiana
I have just gone through some of this myself. I'll answer the questions I can.

PJD642 said:
- Edge & 9M bars are the same for all practical intents, at least as far a mounting 400 and 700 series LED heads, right?
I believe so. However, you can't get modular corner modules to mount in an Edge 9000 frame extrusion without first cutting/grinding off the lower inner mounting tab. It does not slide into the extrusion, as there is no channel for it:

ai.imgur.com_ihtzV.jpg

ai.imgur.com_lu2nA.jpg

ai.imgur.com_8vqg4.jpg

ai.imgur.com_IBDqn.jpg

PJD642 said:
- Ultra Edge bars are deeper front-to-back than regular Edge bars, and need different end caps? Any other differences?
Ultra frames are 2" larger in the front-to-back dimension. Edge 9000 frame extrusions lack the mounting channel for the modular corner modules as pictured above.

PJD642 said:
- What is the correct name for the additional mounting pieces I will need to hold the 400/700 series LED heads in place?
When I purchased some over the last few months, I used the word "standoff" in my wanted thread and had several people understand what I meant. There are some by that name for sale in the classifieds currently.

PJD642 said:
- Do the 400 series heads fit into the ends of the bar where alley lights normally are, or do I need special mounts for those too?
Yes, and there are no special mounts. In fact, the 9M uses 400-series halogens for alley lights. Ultra and 9M endcaps have clips and bosses designed to retain 400-series lightheads.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
New in state!

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.