Soft and distorted siren: water in speakers?

Dec 3, 2012
North Central Texas
Siren: V-con

Speakers: 2 CP100Bs

All worked fine until went through car wash (laser wash, not typical one we go to) yesterday. Output is very weak and sounds distorted. Have not ran unit long, worried about possible wet driver, but these use synthetic and not paper material, right?

Both speakers sound the same. No water noticed in lower ports, but is it possible that water has frozen inside? Will they come back once they dry? Any thoughts?

Respondcode3

May 23, 2010
Northen Il USA
You have water in them.. That is why its important to pay attention to the way the speaker is mounted. Speakers have a small drain hole on the bottom to let the water out. Water freezing in the speaker can damage the diaphram of the driver.If you can get some compresed air and blow them out then make sure they are mounted properly. If they are then the drain hole may be blocked. Take a toothpic and try to clean the hole. Using anything else may damage the speaker.

Dec 3, 2012
North Central Texas
So, went out this afternoon and worked. Opened up driver side speaker (little more than a year old). Was quite clean, very light corrosion on metal in certain places, nothing out of the ordinary. 11.4 ohms. Passenger side (brand new, doesn't even have a response on it yet). 9.5 ohms.

Wiring tight. Suspected (as had been suggested locally) that the old ex-police v-con had dropped a transistor. Pulled the SA365 from the other car out, pulled horn ring and new speaker leads off V-con. Mounted Carson behind dash.

I greatly prefer Carson's tones over the Code-3, so am planning to achieve changing tones for intersections by horn ring on the Carson. Will leave Code-3 on wail most of the time and continue using it for light control. Horn transfer relay activated from aux switch so I also get a status led in case I leave it on.

They sound good.

JPBC4

Apr 7, 2012
NJ
Mine is kind of doing same thing except its not soft. It is intermittent like it has a lose ground or something. I thought it may have been the speaker and replaced it and still doing same thing. I have whelen speaker and motorola spectra astro siren. I'm stumped on this. I checked all grounds and connections and they seem fine. any thoughts? I hope its not the actual motorola siren control going bad.

JPBC4

Apr 7, 2012
NJ
TexasFireMedic said:
It's cutting completely on and off? Sounds like a bad connection. Have you checked power feed?
siren always activates and never cuts off completely. Hard to describe almost like a continuous popping sound. Its not smooth sounding and its very noticeable whether its on wail, yelp or hi lo. I checked everything and even replaced some of the connectors including the wire that runs from siren to motorola unit. I have to agree it sounds like a connection problem but but just cant seem to find it.

Reno911

Sep 15, 2012
Southern Oregon
JPBC4 said:
siren always activates and never cuts off completely. Hard to describe almost like a continuous popping sound. Its not smooth sounding and its very noticeable whether its on wail, yelp or hi lo. I checked everything and even replaced some of the connectors including the wire that runs from siren to motorola unit. I have to agree it sounds like a connection problem but but just cant seem to find it.

I kind of have the same thing happening with some older FS100w siren speakers I have tested. Good FS Touchmaster and it sounds crackily on wail and PA sound is terrible.

Maybe the answer to your problem could help me too. Could it be the amp for the siren?

Dec 3, 2012
North Central Texas
Experience with pro audio is sending me a red flag that the diaphragm might have developed a flaw, Sam.

I found this document.

http://www.fedsig.com/docs/256571.pdf

Now, one of the prep steps listed involves confirming 4.2 ohms resistance cross the lugs on the driver. This is another red flag. Most siren speakers I've seen have an impedance of 11 ohms. That is a significant difference. I'd ask some of the more experienced members if your particular touchmaster model is designed for a low resistance speaker. I couldn't find any info online that stated a specified output impedance for these...

Henry455

May 21, 2010
Houston, TX
TexasFireMedic said:
Experience with pro audio is sending me a red flag that the diaphragm might have developed a flaw, Sam.

I found this document.

http://www.fedsig.com/docs/256571.pdf

Now, one of the prep steps listed involves confirming 4.2 ohms resistance cross the lugs on the driver. This is another red flag. Most siren speakers I've seen have an impedance of 11 ohms. That is a significant difference. I'd ask some of the more experienced members if your particular touchmaster model is designed for a low resistance speaker. I couldn't find any info online that stated a specified output impedance for these...

The confusion is the difference between RESISTANCE and IMPEDANCE. The speaker driver coil has a resistance of approx. 4 ohms and an impedance of 11 ohms Nominal, usually tested with a 1000 Hz tone. When dealing with speakers even though they are both measured in ohms they are not the same. To measure the driver resistance you can use a simple VOM, to measure the impedance you need different equipment including a tone generator. If you are measuring your drivers resistance at 11.4 and 9.5 ohms, something is wrong with the drivers.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GSPS629

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.