Looking for info on a FS model 173 beacon ray

empire5150

Aug 13, 2013
NH
First, im looking for a model 173 beacon ray. I was also wondering if it originally came with the smaller diameter dome or the larger one from the factory? Thanks for any info!

stansdds

May 25, 2010
U.S.A., Virginia
I do not know the exact date when the 173 was introduced, but I think it was around 1950. From the start and up until 1964, the 17 and 173 used the small dome. From 1964 to 1968, Federal was making some 17's and 173's with the larger dome, but most of them still used the smaller dome. In 1968 Federal standardized the skirt and dome sizes on the Beacon Ray line with all of them using the larger dome until production ceased in the 1980's.

Skip Goulet

Feb 23, 2011
Midland, TX
A bit more history on these lights. The Model 17 was the original Beacon Ray, which debuted in 1948. Every beacon after that was an offshoot of the original 17, as in the 173 being discussed. Most of the offshoots that they made were special-request lights from one particular agency or another. For example, various states have particular laws or rules governing emergency warning devices, so it was not unusual for the end users to request special variations to fit their particular needs. If these variations gained enough popularity they were assigned a model number and went into regular production. One nice example is the 174 "Super Beacon" which oscillated back and forth, popularly known as the "Hawaii 5-0" light. And then came the well-known 175 "hill light" and many others. Other options that came out were things like split-colored domes, clear domes and colored sealed-beam bulbs. And then there were mounting options such as the detachable "D" mounts, etc.

If you're looking for a 173, check the classifieds here. They also show up on occasion on ebay.

Dan, I'm sure I've left out something, if you would kindly fill in.

Last edited by a moderator:

flahotrod

Aug 1, 2011
Florida
Good info, Skip.

I have always been curious as to why anyone needed an oscillating light, like the 174, as opposed to a rotating light. To my way of thinking, the rotating light did as much, and then more, than the oscillating light did, so why was there a need for it. Obviously someone had a need for it, otherwise it would not have been manufactured, but I just don't see it. Anyone shed some light (pardon the pun) on this for me?

Thanks.

stansdds

May 25, 2010
U.S.A., Virginia
Rotating lights give a very uniform flash pattern, oscillating lights give a less regular flash pattern, so it is a bit more of an attention getter.

Skip Goulet

Feb 23, 2011
Midland, TX
flahotrod said:
Good info, Skip.

I have always been curious as to why anyone needed an oscillating light, like the 174, as opposed to a rotating light. To my way of thinking, the rotating light did as much, and then more, than the oscillating light did, so why was there a need for it. Obviously someone had a need for it, otherwise it would not have been manufactured, but I just don't see it. Anyone shed some light (pardon the pun) on this for me?

Thanks.

The 174 has always been my favorite beacon that Federal produced. Go to the catalog thread and you'll find some of the older Federal catalogs. The one from 1963 would be good. Look at the bulletin for the 174. Federal's pitch for the 174 is the "longer dwell" of the double-flash effect of the 174. It hits you in the eye on the first past and just seconds later does the same on the "return trip". I have a 174D on my '68 Olds ambulance, and would like to have a pair of them. When I worked for AID Ambulance in Lubbock, when we first opened in August of '68 our first-out ambulance was a long-wheel-base 1967 Superior Pontiac ambulance. It had a pair of red 174s on the front corners with four red (later made red/blue) DoRay lollipops between the two beacons and a Q mounted on the rt. fender. For its day it was one of the most spectacular "light shows" even seen, since strobes and LEDs weren't yet available. When we finally talked our boss into putting blue on two of the lollipop lights...about which he had been skeptical....his mind was suddenly changed late one night when he and another guy made an emergency transfer run to the small town of Brownfield, about 35 mi. SW of Lubbock. It had gotten suddenly foggy and he came back "tickled pink" because those blue lollipops cut through fog every bit as well, if not better, than what standard amber fog lights could do. The next project was to make two of the lollipops on our '64 Consort ambulance blue. That ambulance had a single 174 on the front center of the roof flanked by four DoRay lollipops, and a Q on the rt. fender. I've used 174s on my ambulances off and on over the years whenever and wherever I could. It's a shame that Federal discontinued such good lights years ago. And they don't come cheap if you find them on ebay, etc.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ErikH

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.