2006 Chevrolet Colorado Z71

scruffythewild

Jun 10, 2012
Nassau County, New York.
As NY is a courtesy state, I have kept everything pretty simple and cheap. I may either add another set of hideaways in the brake light portion of the tailights or add blue/amber lights to the rear window however there is not much room. 

Equipment:

Feniex Python 4X on dash

Feniex Fairy's in turn signal housing

Feniex Cannon's for reverse lights

Whelen PAP112 (Airhorn and PA)

Carson 100W Speaker

Feniex Switch Panel

Uniden Bct15x (Not in at time of pictures)

Workman CB radio transmission hump mount (Used for scanner)

Feniex Titan T-1000 Work Lights mounted on roof bars (Not demonstrated in video)

Flash patterns look slower then they are in the front due to my iphone not being able to pick up the fast flickers, although the cannons show just fine which is weird. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8DsCLGXo1ZM&feature=youtu.be

EDIT: Working on uploading images/video not sure how yet with new site setup

EDIT: Pictures Added

EDIT: After being unable to login to my youtube account, I created a new account. 

5.2814 073.JPG

5.2814 011.JPG

5.2814 147.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:

scruffythewild

Jun 10, 2012
Nassau County, New York.
First, I have the airhorn because its the closest legal thing you can have to a siren in NY even though I dont really use it responding to calls because it looks pretty stupid if you are fooling people into giving you the right of way holding the button down as if you are an authorized emergency vehicle but half a mile down the road they are behind you stuck at a redlight. I have it mostly because when on the road it catches peoples attention and is just a fun horn to have I guess, I have no legit reason to have a pa either but just like the airhorn, its fun. 

foxtrot5

Sep 26, 2011
Charleston Area, SC, US
Fair warning, most here on ELB are pretty obssessive about following Local, State, and Federal laws especially regarding warning equipment. We may or may not agree with those laws, but we're still obligated to follow them. The fact that some of your equipment may be in legal question will possibly agitate certain members of the community, and they can get quite vocal about it.

Personally, I suggest you double check your applicable laws and ensure compliance.

scruffythewild

Jun 10, 2012
Nassau County, New York.
No problem, had a feeling this was coming, airhorn's are legal in NY though, so I don't foresee much controversy stemming from it.

A horn is a horn, not a siren, the only law it breaks is that it probably exceeds the sound decimal limit however I have it mounted in a position under my car where it is not optimal and probably as loud as a stock Gm full size horn.

EDIT: I know the PA is not legal on public roads, however, that is not where I would/have operate/operated it.

MtnMan

Dec 20, 2012
Eastern PA
Cool. I have a 2008 Colorado that will be getting some lights. Did you know Gamber Johnson makes a console for these trucks?

The Cannons in the reverse lights are a perfect location. Any issues with the installation?

Gamber Johnson console.JPG

scruffythewild

Jun 10, 2012
Nassau County, New York.
No I didn't but that looks pretty cool. The cannons were a perfect fit and I ran the wiring under the truck. The only issue I had was that the reverse bulb had three wires going to it, a power, a negative and a third unknown wire, when I only had positive and negative hooked up, when I hit the brake my turn signal would activate it was weird but then I think I ran the stray wire into either the positive or negative wires that I ran and the problem went away, I hooked up the cannons to flash on one switch, go into reverse and act as work lights on another switch wired to the battery with the other stuff. The flash mode always overrides the reverse and work light function, I didn't know how to change it and I didn't really

Care.

philyumpshus

Jun 20, 2010
Malone, NY
Just pointing out that the clear is technically not kosher in NY either. The law only allows for blue lighting. I can see the clear to the front but I would change the rears to blue and/or amber because clear to the rear isn't optimal simply as a matter of good EV lighting. Blue to the rear would also aid in identification purposes as well.

pdk9

May 26, 2010
New York & Florida
There is no reason to have an airhorn or all that clear, and there will be no reason for you to mount LAWs in the brake lights (red).

First, I have the airhorn because its the closest legal thing you can have to a siren in NY even though I dont really use it responding to calls because it looks pretty stupid if you are fooling people into giving you the right of way holding the button down as if you are an authorized emergency vehicle but half a mile down the road they are behind you stuck at a redlight. I have it mostly because when on the road it catches peoples attention and is just a fun horn to have I guess, I have no legit reason to have a pa either but just like the airhorn, its fun.
There are a lot of things that I'd like to put on my truck as well, but that doesn't mean that I'm allowed to or will install those items.
:-/

"it looks pretty stupid if you are fooling people into giving you the right of way...as if you are an authorized emergency vehicle"

That's what I call having an airhorn & colors other than blue on your POV when you are in a courtesy light state that only allows you to have a blue warning light, unless you are an authorized vehicle (ie Chief or Fly Car).

Reactions: emergency_ram12

scruffythewild

Jun 10, 2012
Nassau County, New York.
@phily, that's a great

Point, that's why I was considering doing blue in the rear window, technically, anything other then one completely blue dash light is illegal in Ny.

@pdk9, we are all on this site because we have some sort of interest in blinking lights, most of the lighting in Pov installs posted on ELB in ny and other similar states is illegal because most people don't put one blue dash light in and call it an install, the airhorn is legal although yes not needed, so I don't see the problem with that. Even though other installs are not in question and we are talking about mine, compared to a lot

Of Courtesy light installs on ELB, a dash light and 4 clear hideaways In the matching color housings is conservative.

So yes it is technically illegal, but so are a lot of ELB install posts, and of course the illegal hideaways are on a separate switch so If I just want to run the one legal dash light, I may, which I have.. I personally don't see the harm as long as I'm not 1. abusing it 2. acting as an authorized emergency vehicle by breaking traffic laws, 3. the police don't care about local jolly volly lights and 4. it's not hurting anyone.

I realized I'm probably opening up a can of worms by openly stating my lighting is illegal. Oh well.

Keep the comments coming, I like the feedback.

EDIT: Also in the install thread requirement section, it instructs users to keep the legality of the colors out of the thread, I would prefer this thread to not get closed or moved so any questions please feel free to pm me, thanks.

Nov 7, 2011
New England
apparently the majority of forum users that have commented on this thread did not read the install requirement thread and where it states verbatim "Lastly, leave discussions about lighting color/legality out of the discussion, we have a section for that as well. "

Can't stand people who preach compliance with laws when they can't even comply with an online forum's rules.

OP.. your install looks good. I like your switch panel mounting location.

Reactions: ffmorris38

tsquale

Lifetime VIP Donor
Oct 12, 2010
Minnesota, USA
apparently the majority of forum users that have commented on this thread did not read the install requirement thread and where it states verbatim "Lastly, leave discussions about lighting color/legality out of the discussion, we have a section for that as well. "

Can't stand people who preach compliance with laws when they can't even comply with an online forum's rules.
You must not like yourself very much then..."If something is against or violates the rules, do not reply, post about it, quote it or discuss it inside the forum. Instead click "report this post" and notify forum moderators or administrators." http://elightbars.org/index.php/site-rules

And yes, I do realize that I myself am violating this rule by quoting your post.

Baaaaaack on track...OP, I would like to see some better daytime shots of your equipment on if you are able to.

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
The site does have a policy about off topic replies to install threads.  That said, we also have a policy about not posting anything condoning violating any law.  So really I need to remove this entire thread.  Also, questions about install purpose and function are permitted, and how it will be used does come up when the install allegedly isn't technically legal for it's purpose. 

Where does that leave us?  We will monitor this topic and remove rude, derogatory or inappropriate posts.  Aside from that, I am taking a step back from altering this post at all.  Ask professional, specific purpose based questions and let OP reply in the same way. 

Reactions: lafd55

scruffythewild

Jun 10, 2012
Nassau County, New York.
Lol this is becoming a humorous thread, @jcpse thanks, I am pretty happy with it myself although one day if I have some extra cash (lol) I'd love to buy a cencom (and disable the sirens of course) a bench seat console and mount my scanner and cencom on it lol.

@tsquale , I won't be able to post any today but I'll do it tommorow.

And @john, thank you for not closing this thread and letting it be, I sincerely appreciate it.

Reactions: tsquale

lafd55

May 27, 2010
New York, USA
I don't mean to be rude, but can you post a link to the law regarding Air horns. Just curious.

scruffythewild

Jun 10, 2012
Nassau County, New York.
You seem to be very interested in my air horn... here,

"S 375. Equipment. 1. (a) Every motor vehicle, operated or driven upon

the public highways of the state, shall be provided with adequate brakes
and steering mechanism in good working order and sufficient to control
such vehicle at all times when the same is in use, and a suitable and
adequate horn or other device for signaling, which horn or device shall
produce a sound sufficiently loud to serve as a danger warning but shall
not be used other than as a reasonable warning nor be unnecessarily loud
or harsh."

http://ypdcrime.com/vt/article9.htm?zoom_highlight=horn

"Section 375. Equipment.

26. A gong or siren whistle shall not be used on any vehicle other than an authorized emergency vehicle. This

shall not be construed to apply to a gong or siren designed and used solely as a burglar alarm on a vehicle."

http://www.health.ny.gov/professionals/ems/pdf/srgvat.pdf

An electronic airhorn specifically is not mentioned because NY to my knowledge just considers it as another horn.

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
Section 1104 in the New York Vehicle and Traffic Law gives exemptions for authorized emergency vehicles only when audible signals are sounded while in motion via bell, horn siren, electronic device or exhaust whistle.  Section 375, Equipment, states a gong or siren whistle shall not be used on any vehicle other than an authorized emergency vehicle.  A gong means audible signaling device, not just a big wok shaped dish on a string.  It's pretty clear that NY law is stating non-emergency vehicles cannot use audible signaling devices when responding.  A good cop that wants to will be able cite you and a good DA will win.  But let's be honest, that's not likely to happen.  What's much more likely is some person will plow into you, and it might not even be your fault.  A good car accident lawyer will easily prove you were using your car as an emergency vehicle if you use any type of after market audible device while responding. 

This is the end of the debate on the legality of this vehicle. The rest of the thread needs to be for discussing the install.  We have a separate thread for state law based discussions.  http://elightbars.org/forums/topic/28021-official-location-based-warning-law-discussion-thread/

scruffythewild

Jun 10, 2012
Nassau County, New York.
Sorry its alittle late, this thread will be ongoing so these will not be the last pictures I throw up here. I was in a hurry and didnt cover my license plate so that would be the reason for the odd one sided photos

image (44).jpeg

image (43).jpeg

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ErikH

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.