Cannon Fix

theroofable

May 23, 2010
New Jersey
Background:  Hopefully this will save you headaches from tearing your wire apart to find out why you have a Feniex Cannon not working.  After my install, I found that I had one cannon that was not working at all.  This will also save you time from having to tear your install apart and sending out the unit for repair.  This was recommended by FEVER, so all credit goes to him for the idea.

Steps:  Locate your flasher for the cannon.  Remove four small black screws, two on each side.  Remove the cover.  Locate the connector that is separated, there will be one on each side.  It will be easy to figure out which one it is, mine was the side which went to the cannon itself.  Reconnect the connector to the socket.  For added protection, I added black RTV sealant to keep the connector from pulling out again.  Re-install the cover.

Note:  This connector became unhooked after the installation, and the wires were never pulled or installed too tightly.  I have opened up other brands of flashers to find out all wires were soldered into the boards, not sure why Feniex decided to go with connectors.  

Disclaimer:  Not sure if this will void the warranty or not, but your light will work.  I'm sure someone from Feniex will comment if they see this.  

IMG_36901.JPG

Connector pulled out of connector, with epoxy still covering the top.

IMG_36911.JPG

Connector reinserted into the socket.

Reactions: Mrlunchbox

Carlos SpicyWeiner

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 3, 2012
Lakeland, Florida
Feniex prides themselves on making things serviceable in the field. I'm sure this is why it is done this way. Makes ordering a flasher in if one goes bad easier than replacing the entire unit and pulling it out of a light assembly.  

That said, I don't think you need to worry about the warranty issue. You should be good to go. Thanks for pictures of the process. 

Zapp Brannigan

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 23, 2010
I would think it might void the Warranty, but I may have to look into this also. One of my 4 synced Cannons fell out of sync and it looks like garbage.

May be easier than tearing it out, covering the hole, and having to send it out for RMA.

Last edited by a moderator:

theroofable

May 23, 2010
New Jersey
Feniex prides themselves on making things serviceable in the field. I'm sure this is why it is done this way. Makes ordering a flasher in if one goes bad easier than replacing the entire unit and pulling it out of a light assembly.  

That said, I don't think you need to worry about the warranty issue. You should be good to go. Thanks for pictures of the process. 
Only problem with this is that the connector inside would not fit through the wire hole of the flasher, so doing a field flasher swap is not really feasible, unless you can fiddle around with those tiny pins and get the connector off.  Not to mention that the connector was covered in silicone or epoxy.  Also, if they wanted them to be field swapped, wouldn't they say something so people know to check them?  I think most of the problems with led lights seems to be them burning out or failing due to heat, not the flashers crapping out.  Just throwing some ideas out there.

I would think it might void the Warranty, but I may have to look into this also. One of my 4 synced Cannons fell out of sync and it looks like garbage.

May be easier than tearing it out, covering the hole, and having to send it out for RMA.
I'm not sure if they have a way to check to see if the cover was removed, didn't notice an tamper stickers or anything (those wouldn't hold up to weather anyway).  You should be good unless you are actually modifying the circuit board I would imagine.  I was glad that I found out about this connector problem, because it saved me from having to remove the bumper again to get to the headlight.  Good luck to you!    

JohnFireFan

Jan 29, 2012
Louisiana

As much as I love Feniex this upsets me to hear. After spending only a few minutes on the phone with a Feniex rep I had to tear apart my install and ship back one cannon for repair. I wish the rep would have at least trouble shot a few things before I had to uninstall one light and now only have one. Pretty upsetting... but I do still LOVE Feniex!!!

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hilux01

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.