Chicago FD going Red and Blue?

lafd55

May 27, 2010
New York, USA
I am gonna guess it's rear only as I don't think they would get rid of the Green.

philyumpshus

Jun 20, 2010
Malone, NY
Is it possible that the bars are delivered with blue pods and are changed over to green by the CFD before they're put into service? Depending on how the lightbars are produced it might be easier to do it that way than going into the factory with one green pod to put on one lightbar before it ships.

LRGJr72

May 29, 2010
Detroit, Michigan
I've seen Vision SLRs with green pods. Even FedSig's SLR promo video shows one on a University Park FD truck. So my guess isn't the availability of green pods. But it is probable that the CFD may be going red/blue like the vast majority of fire agencies in Illinois (and MO, CO, IA, AZ, NV, TX, OK...).

nerdly_dood

Jun 15, 2010
Georgia
dcb said:
Maybe because FS doesn't offer green in the standard SLR?
Actually they do, and CFD uses it. I don't have a clue what's going on with that blue there.

Last edited by a moderator:

Sparky_911

Supporting Donor
May 15, 2013
Central Illinois
I always thought CFD used R/G because CPD used  B/R. In IL's IVC blue by itself is either a courtesy light, or when in cities of over 500,000 can be used by PD standalone without any other color.  From what I've seen most of downstate has always used R/W/B on FD rigs.  I think Chicago area rigs are the only ones in IL that use green.  Maybe they are changing it up??  Maybe that's a 'special' Bat car??

lafd55

May 27, 2010
New York, USA
I always thought CFD used R/G because CPD used  B/R. In IL's IVC blue by itself is either a courtesy light, or when in cities of over 500,000 can be used by PD standalone without any other color.  From what I've seen most of downstate has always used R/W/B on FD rigs.  I think Chicago area rigs are the only ones in IL that use green.  Maybe they are changing it up??  Maybe that's a 'special' Bat car??
Chicago PD uses all blue. The only cars that are Red/Blue are Airport cars due to FAA regulations.

Reactions: LRGJr72

LRGJr72

May 29, 2010
Detroit, Michigan
Chicago PD uses all blue. The only cars that are Red/Blue are Airport cars due to FAA regulations.
The Memphis Int'l Airport Police units all feature all-blue lights. I'd love to message them with the FAA rule on red lighting being used on emergency vehicles on airport grounds. 

lafd55

May 27, 2010
New York, USA
Do they have any red to the rear, maybe that's how they scoot around the rule, my local sheriff does the Airport Detail here and they have all red to the front but at least some blue in the rear.

justavillain

Mar 7, 2013
Grand Rapids
But is here a green grille or dash light? Remember Chicago does that green on the right/ofc side for them being a port city. So it doesn't have to be a lot.

I've seen a few of their truck companies use all red/white on the bar but the light head by the headlight was the green one

LRGJr72

May 29, 2010
Detroit, Michigan
Do they have any red to the rear, maybe that's how they scoot around the rule, my local sheriff does the Airport Detail here and they have all red to the front but at least some blue in the rear.
There's no red at all on Memphis Airport units. All-blue... though some have a cheesy amber traffic-advisor.  

Sparky_911

Supporting Donor
May 15, 2013
Central Illinois
But is here a green grille or dash light? Remember Chicago does that green on the right/ofc side for them being a port city. So it doesn't have to be a lot.

I've seen a few of their truck companies use all red/white on the bar but the light head by the headlight was the green one
Never thought of that.... Springfield, IL used to have one engine that ran a green grille light. It was stationed near the lake area.  From talking to retired FF's about it they say it was put on there during the mid 90's as an experiment for color blind people....not sure if that's true or not though.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Safetylight5

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.