Federal FIRE BALL Family History

dmathieu

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 20, 2010
S.W. New Hampshire, USA
Added a Different Fire Ball to my sub-collection.
This is a FB15.
It is the Taiwan made version, made for Federal Signal. It is nowhere near the quality as the USA made Federal Fire Balls, but was marketed by Federal as a Fire Ball. Therefore, I believe it belongs in my Fire Ball Sub-collection.
Here are some pics. I'll add some cleaned up pics after I receive the light.s-l1600 (19).jpg s-l1600 (18).jpg s-l1600 (20).jpg

Last edited:

stansdds

May 25, 2010
U.S.A., Virginia
Added a Different Fire Ball to my sub-collection.
This is a FB15.
It is the Taiwan made version, made for Federal Signal. It is nowhere near the quality at the USA made Federal Fire Balls, but was marketed by Federal a a Fire Ball. Therefore, I believe it belongs in my Fire Ball Sub-collection.
Here are some pics. I'll add some cleaned up pics after I receive the light.
I had one exactly like that in the late 1980's. Mine was a "Sun Beam". Mine spun really fast, so I installed a resistor on the motor's positive lead to obtain around 100 flashes per minute.

Reactions: Skip Goulet

Clarence H

May 20, 2010
USA Twin Cities Minnesota
The only one I have not seen mention is the last generation teardrop fireball. I think it was made in Japan, or China, and had an dome with a lip on it, and was held down with screws, and not a retaining band.
Clarence

dmathieu

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 20, 2010
S.W. New Hampshire, USA
I also have a 2A12F2, among the many odd ball serial numbers in my collection. I don't know the significance of the added numbers, but that is one of my quests.
Most of the odd balls that I have are listed in posts in this thread.

dmathieu

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 20, 2010
S.W. New Hampshire, USA
I can only assume that they were for specific customers or agencies. There are not even subtle differences in the lights. I've stripped all of these down, and see no differences.

Last edited:

Skulldigger

Aug 23, 2015
Georgia / USA
Back in the 70s my VAC in the Rochester, NY area had two type 2 ambulances. Both ambulances had a red fireball mounted on each side of the nose of the van. I may be wrong, but I think that was fairly common back then, at least in the Rochester area.

My very first rig. Two Fireballs mounted to each hood.

Southern 635.jpg

Reactions: Raynie

dmathieu

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 20, 2010
S.W. New Hampshire, USA
Here is a new addition to the Fire Ball History!
How did the name "FIREBALL" for Federal's first portable light come about??
The Fire Ball 1956 was the first major revolving light addition since the Beacon Ray 1948. The "nickname" for the Beacon Ray became the "proper name" for the Fire Ball.
Get a load of this July, 1950 product bulletin, which is now part of my literature collection, and is Federal's first use of "FIREBALL":

s-l1600 (40).jpg

Last edited:

dmathieu

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 20, 2010
S.W. New Hampshire, USA
Motorcycle version not rebadged as Harley Davidson Cycle Signal.
FB-2 would have been permanent mount base, which also had the three small holes for mounting the cycle pole. M for Motorcycle extendable pole mount. 2A12 for standard guts of that vintage. B1 for motorcycle alterations (no vibration plate under standard light guts).
Probably made and sold to a motorcycle mfg. other than Harley.

Just a note, you have the wrong bulb in there. You have a new Made in China 1195. You should have, for the 2A12, a 1507 with the pre-focused collar which locks under those 3 tabs around the socket.

NICE grab!!

Last edited:

dmathieu

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 20, 2010
S.W. New Hampshire, USA
Ahhh, series B1. That uses the standard 1195 bulb.
Just FYI, the covers are not Federal, and I believe the box is not for that light.
Your light is in very nice condition. Great grab! One of the best portable lights ever made!

Skulldigger

Aug 23, 2015
Georgia / USA
Just FYI, the covers are not Federal, and I believe the box is not for that light.

I knew the covers were another brand. The box was marked FBII after delivery so wasn't sure, but the light is mint. No signs of use. Plus he made me a really good deal.

dmathieu

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 20, 2010
S.W. New Hampshire, USA
Yeah, the box is marked with the newer Federal Signal brand, not Federal Sign and Signal. Looks like FB11 newer style light box. I can't see the other print on the label.
It is a beautiful looking light, and a fantastic find. As you know, one of my favorite lights!!

dmathieu

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 20, 2010
S.W. New Hampshire, USA
Good question!
The series 2A12 all had red plugs. The series B1 that I have have red plug, but sometime in the B1 series they switched to black plug. The newer FB11 series all had black plugs.
The switch was Safco's, the cord/plug manufacturer. At some point they stopped using red, and went to black.
The plastic they used, in the red was harder, and more subject to cracking, vs. the more durable black plug that we know today. Progress!

Jul 14, 2014
North Central US
Hey Dan!

You briefly touched on the FBII strobe but you forgot to mention the EARLY FBII strobe w/ the dome insert versus the later, actual fresnel dome:

Attachments

• 100_5508.JPG
    100_5508.JPG
    92.1 KB · Views: 12
  • 100_5509.JPG
    100_5509.JPG
    70 KB · Views: 11
Reactions: stansdds and Raynie

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hilux01

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.