Voiding Factory Warranty

GtownFF

Jan 15, 2014
Wisconsin
First I am not sure what this would fall under so if this should be in a better place I can move it.

Recently my car overheated due to loss of coolant. I took it to the dealer to get it repaired under warranty as it's a new car. I had a speaker in the air dam area and the gentleman working on my car asked if this was a police vehicle. I explained how the responding process works and he said that because it is an "emergency vehicle" it voids all factory warranties because it was not branded as such. Now I know the overheating was not due to the speaker because there was a leak in the hose, they are going to fix it but he warned me to be careful. Has anyone heard of this or experienced this before?

Sparky_911

Supporting Donor
May 15, 2013
Central Illinois
Generally they say that stuff so they don't have to honor warranty work because the owner "modified" the car beyond factory spec.

Next time they ask about a speaker, lights, switch panel I'd return fire with 'does it have any affect on why the radiator hose is leaking?, no?...then don't worry about it'.

Reactions: upnorth896

GtownFF

Jan 15, 2014
Wisconsin
Its Boucher Ford, I drive a 2016 Ford Fusion. The hose leak was not anywhere near the speaker. However they told me because it is an "emergency vehicle" it's not under warranty. However, it's not an emergency vehicle at all times only when responding.

StEaLtH2

Mar 3, 2011
New England
Do you have a pic of how your speaker is mounted? I would fight for the warranty work

acala91

Oct 15, 2010
FL
Research the Magnuson Moss Warranty Act. A dealer can't simply declare a warranty void. They would have to attribute the failure of the part directly to some modification you did to not warranty it. They would have an argument if the speaker was blocking most of the airflow to the radiator causing the vehicle to overheat, but that is not the case.

Reactions: Jamey@NNE

GtownFF

Jan 15, 2014
Wisconsin
I did talk to them again, they are going to be covering it. I do not have a picture of how it is mounted. I have the Ecoboost edition so it has two radiators one large one in the grille, that is not obstructed, and another medium sized one in the lower portion, which is slightly obstructed from the speaker.

GtownFF

Jan 15, 2014
Wisconsin
the lower one is the intercooler for the turbo.
That is correct, it is not blocked enough that it should matter. The only reason it is there is for mounting convenience. I could mount it in the grille area but was not sure how to mount it there.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
airflores

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.