Hhs2200 and radio

May 16, 2010
Torrington, WY
Ok I have a secondary radio, motorola Astro spectra, that I've installed in my trunk. The head is installed in the truck as well. I ran the speaker up front under my seat, but want to be able to turn it off when I don't wanna hear the traffic. I was thinking either having a way to shut the radio off itself somehow or the speaker. Is there a way I can do it with a button on the whelen hhs2200?

Jarred J.

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
Shelbyville, TN
I'm wondering if you can use a relay. Have one of your speaker wires cut. Put the wire on the power portion of the relay, and the other end on the output. Then When you hit the switch it closes the relay to allow the audio through?

emtpals

Apr 8, 2013
IL/WI
The Spectra radios should have a secondary ignition power lead coming off of the back of the radio (unless someone internally shorted it) that you tie into "ignition power" to turn the radio on when you start your vehicle. You can just re-route the ignition power wire to one of your HHS switches, and have a dedicated switch to turn on and off your radio. This would be the easiest way.

The second way, depending on your Spectra model, is to get a remote head or hand held head unit for it so that you can control it from up front.

May 16, 2010
Torrington, WY
What I was hoping to have a dedicated button to turn on and off the speaker when needed. But I can't program any of the buttons to turn on when the ignition is turned on and off with the key.

C17LVFD

May 21, 2010
Harrisburg, PA
Go with the relay option that Jarred suggestion... Put the relay inline with one of the speaker wires... Use the hhs2200 positive output to trigger the relay to close... hence turning on the speaker...

Good Luck,
Seth

ryan_turner

Nov 16, 2015
Memphis, TN
The Spectra radios should have a secondary ignition power lead coming off of the back of the radio (unless someone internally shorted it) that you tie into "ignition power" to turn the radio on when you start your vehicle. You can just re-route the ignition power wire to one of your HHS switches, and have a dedicated switch to turn on and off your radio. This would be the easiest way.

The second way, depending on your Spectra model, is to get a remote head or hand held head unit for it so that you can control it from up front.

Yep, do this. Switch the ignition sense that you already have. Fewer parts to fuss with.

Jarred J.

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
Shelbyville, TN
Wire the speaker as a "ground on" where putting + on the Elat opens the circuit.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
airflores

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.