Whelen BLINK / B-LINK / Serial thread

RamCumminsFF

Dec 16, 2012
Upstate New York
I was going to ask about upgrading the alley lights and takedowns on a blink edge ultra bar from halogen to led. Is there anything that once the halogen bulb and reflector is removed that will just fit in as a direct replacement? Im not talking about changing the halogen bulb to an led bulb or anything like that. But an actual whelen led takedown or alley module. Like the lr11 led alley modules for example.

RamCumminsFF

Dec 16, 2012
Upstate New York
So I figue Ill try here first since this is a blink question. I like the flash patterns that are available with the cencom series of controllers. I just finished an install on a truck using a Cencom Red and I really like all the arrow stick patterns, some are very similar to the nysp patterns. Has anyone tried to add new flash patterns to the mpc 01 or 03? I currently have an 01. Is it just a software update or wold it involve adding code to the current programming?

PJH

May 23, 2010
CO Springs&West PointNY
What you see is what you get. 8 patterns for the halogen and LED T/A's and 1 for the strobe T/A.

Any modification would be in the firmware of the I/O board, and good luck with that!

Reactions: Mrlunchbox

rohmers

May 24, 2010
MA
RamCumminsFF said:
So I figue Ill try here first since this is a blink question. I like the flash patterns that are available with the cencom series of controllers. I just finished an install on a truck using a Cencom Red and I really like all the arrow stick patterns, some are very similar to the nysp patterns. Has anyone tried to add new flash patterns to the mpc 01 or 03? I currently have an 01. Is it just a software update or wold it involve adding code to the current programming?

member "bobbyj" has been adding patterns to our cencom reds for a few weeks now. I know its not the easiest thing to do but he is a computer engineer and has some experience with code and what not.

PJH

May 23, 2010
CO Springs&West PointNY
Cencom reds + BLINK = not the same software setup.

The CCRED's were easy to modify. A member here has been modding them since they came out, as its all software based. They changed the programming language with the Gold's, and made it very difficult to do.

The BLINK stuff works off of firmware in the boards. The controllers send to the bar: 64 02 01 01 01 10 2F F6 00 00 00 9E

The I/O board in the bar sees that and says: oh, I need to turn on all strobes with the cometflash pattern, sync'd.

So one would need to pull the controller chips, extract the firmware, decompile it, rewrite and recompile it, burn the PROM and hope that it works :)

Whelen made a modification to the first generation LFL and Ultra LC lines to allow "personality" boards to allow for custom flash patterns/operations at $50 a plug in chip, but where not BLINK items.

RamCumminsFF

Dec 16, 2012
Upstate New York
You said 8 flash patterns....I have the led stick and when i hit the button on the controller I only cycle through 4......left, right, center out and the basic flash. I saw in an earlier post NYSP uses blink with a custom pattern, is that just their lightbar pattern I see, or is it also a custom traffic arrow pattern. I have noticed that they have quite a few arrow patterns they cycle through!

Bobcat753

Mar 9, 2014
Mass
I'll be trading some stuff for a Whelen edge 10000 blink soon(from a member here). I'll need to find amber end caps and I'm sure I'll have questions to follow! Yes it's going on my ford ranger too. No siren but maybe a traffic director if I can locate one! What have I got myself into:yes: :eek:

PJH

May 23, 2010
CO Springs&West PointNY
Sequence to triple flash, sequence to double flash, sequence to solid, flashing solid, 2 lamp sequence to double flash, 3 lamp sequence to double flash, 4 lamp sequence to double flash, sequence to solid - sequence off

PJH

May 23, 2010
CO Springs&West PointNY
Also the NYSP bar patterns are just comet flash and single flash that alternate pairs which you cannot do with standard blink. You can if you wire the lightheads in a certain way but that would preclude some other stuff from displayin properly

Jordan_TCFD

May 22, 2010
Chattanooga,TN, Bryant,
I hate to bring an old post back, but am running into an issue. To solve it, want to make sure I am headed in the right direction.

First off, I have installed 2 complete B-Link Systems in 2 of our fire trucks.

I am wanting to install a 3rd in our brush truck.

2 part question dealing with arrow stick controllers. Was there ever a B-Link arrow controller that was for LED's?

In a Freedom setup, if you want an arrowstick, is that part of the rear LED's(Like a Liberty) or do you have to add a seperate controller?

I have a HC Freedom(TXDPS) and am trying to control the rear arrow through the MPC-01, but keep getting errors regardless of type of controller(Obviously because it senses a bulb out due to low current draw).

Can I solve this by changing the board out to a Freedom SC board and gain an arrow without any issue?

Jordan,TCFD

MEVS06

May 23, 2010
San Antonio, TX
I hate to bring an old post back, but am running into an issue. To solve it, want to make sure I am headed in the right direction.

First off, I have installed 2 complete B-Link Systems in 2 of our fire trucks.

I am wanting to install a 3rd in our brush truck.

2 part question dealing with arrow stick controllers. Was there ever a B-Link arrow controller that was for LED's?

In a Freedom setup, if you want an arrowstick, is that part of the rear LED's(Like a Liberty) or do you have to add a seperate controller?

I have a HC Freedom(TXDPS) and am trying to control the rear arrow through the MPC-01, but keep getting errors regardless of type of controller(Obviously because it senses a bulb out due to low current draw).

Can I solve this by changing the board out to a Freedom SC board and gain an arrow without any issue?

Jordan,TCFD
Yes they have an external blink ta flasher, is it for leds not sure. I would do the swap with the SC freedom board, it should be easier to get it to work.

MarchHare94

Dec 5, 2014
Whitefield, Maine
So, this hasn't been dead for too long... Does anyone know what lenses will fit the bar? I've got blues but I'd like to swap out to reds or if even possible all clears. but probably red.

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio

wilsonbr90

Sep 30, 2013
Corning, New York
An lfl or liberty frame is shorter in height than an edge 9m or 9000. As far as I know blink was used in both platforms. Or you don't even use blink at all and are in thr wrong thread, either way we need more information about said "bar"

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
What is the difference?

I updated
It gave me more insight on the bar, but doesn't mention the frame style he was asking about. Or I didn't see it
The post shows a picture of every major edge model, that can be a bit overwhelming and hard to sort through.  Lightbars termed "Edge" fall into two basic heights, LFL and regular.  LFL is also know as patriot or liberty.  Full height edges are one of a few varieties, 9000, E, 9M, etc.  There was also the specific BLINK frame in the late 1990s, which was wider, but the same height.  Whelen also used serial control like BLINK in other platforms. What varies most is width.  That allowed Whelen to alter only the endcaps.

The front lenses of all "full height" edge products should be interchangeable, as should all LFL size lenses.  Generally the only difference in the lenses are optic styles (minor changes) and endcaps.

Last edited by a moderator:

michiel sanders

Feb 3, 2015
The Netherlands
The transporter box can be picked up new from Whelen. They are hard to find in the wild (eBay, here, etc). They are not cheap - and if bought new will come with the software. The box will also program the Smartarrow Messenger.

You only need the box if your using the MCP01, 02 or NFPA. The MPC03 does not require the box.

Well to be technical, there is no Edge 9000 in a BLINK format. Its either a BL10000 or Edge Ultra SC for the strobe bars. They did make a "diagnostic" bar in the 9000 frame that uses serial control, but in no way can it be controlled by a MPC series controller. It uses the PCDS9 controller with custom firmware.

Used transporters are very rare to find, and new ones are $200+ last I checked. MPC03's are rare to find used and expensive to buy, but are usb programable.

A few members here can program MPC 01/02/NFPAs as we have the transporters.

They do sell aftermarket USB cables to program MPC01's on ebay that do not use a transporter

I have some good news for you guys.

Yesterday i programmed My smart text Messenger without a transporter.

Just a regular rs232 > rs485 converter. in my case the Blackbox IC1655A.

With these settings:

-9600 baud.

-2 wire.

-echo on.

-send data control.

Used it on a hp probook 6560b with windows 7 and a hardwired rs232 port and run windows xp in VMware.

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
I have some good news for you guys.

Yesterday i programmed My smart text Messenger without a transporter.

Just a regular rs232 > rs485 converter. in my case the Blackbox IC1655A.

With these settings:

-9600 baud.

-2 wire.

-echo on.

-send data control.

Used it on a hp probook 6560b with windows 7 and a hardwired rs232 port and run windows xp in VMware.
That is a real step forward in this line of products.  Will do a quick "tips and tricks" write up on it?

Last edited by a moderator:

badge22

Aug 14, 2010
MI, United States
Does anyone have the part number for the trasnporter, cables, and software for a Smart Arrow Messenger?  The control head that we have is the MGC02.  Emailed Whelen with negative results. 

Reactions: gearhead _light

codybecker

Feb 21, 2015
Hawaii
Can anybody help??

I installed a MPC01 controller, that connects to a BL627 amplifier, then connects to a LFL liberty lightbar. Trouble is is when I run the siren the siren sounds for about 3 seconds then restarts. When I disconnect the light bar from the communication wires the siren works fine. Is there a trick to adding a light bar with comm cables to a siren amplifier and control box?

MEVS06

May 23, 2010
San Antonio, TX
Can anybody help??

I installed a MPC01 controller, that connects to a BL627 amplifier, then connects to a LFL liberty lightbar. Trouble is is when I run the siren the siren sounds for about 3 seconds then restarts. When I disconnect the light bar from the communication wires the siren works fine. Is there a trick to adding a light bar with comm cables to a siren amplifier and control box?
Wire the bar to the MPC01 first then wire the BL627 in.

Reactions: codybecker

codybecker

Feb 21, 2015
Hawaii
Wire the bar to the MPC01 first then wire the BL627 in.
Figured it out.  Seems the box wasn't programed for a duo light bar traffic advisor and it was making the system confused.  Ended up unplugging the traffic advisor's power source and the system functioned perfectly.  Now if I could only figure out how to program the box without having to send it off to someone and getting charged an arm and a leg to get it programmed incorrectly several times.  Wish someone would have made some progress or posted about "DYI transporters".

MEVS06

May 23, 2010
San Antonio, TX
Figured it out. Seems the box wasn't programed for a duo light bar traffic advisor and it was making the system confused. Ended up unplugging the traffic advisor's power source and the system functioned perfectly. Now if I could only figure out how to program the box without having to send it off to someone and getting charged an arm and a leg to get it programmed incorrectly several times. Wish someone would have made some progress or posted about "DYI transporters".
What are you paying for programing?

RamCumminsFF

Dec 16, 2012
Upstate New York
In an ongoing quest to upgrade my Edge Blink strobe bar to a Freedom LED bar, I have yet another question, I understand that to go LED and retain the BLink system I need a SC Freedom I/O board....... what is the diff, between a SC Freedom and Liberty I/O board. would a liberty board work? Im finding those on ebay cheap, but no Freedom boards at all.

BryGuy

Mar 13, 2016
Mass
Just installed my B link 10000 in all Amber. I did it on my 06 gmc 2500. I set it up with a 50amp fuse, I'm just hoping having the bar hot all night doesn't drain the batteries. I suppose tomorrow morning I will find out.

irun4fundotca

Jul 7, 2016
Sydenham, Ontario
My BL10000 has a BLTAREM -module for a traffic advisor 8 light bar on the lower section of my edge 10000 bar, what do i need to change to enable that in the software when programing my mpc01?

the BLTA . . . . . . .Traffic Advisor™, includes BLTAREM (internally)

screenshot-2016-07-26-19-59-09-png.158906

Last edited:

irun4fundotca

Jul 7, 2016
Sydenham, Ontario
anyone ever capture the output from the controller for each mode or button?
would a rs485 adapter using serial display do so?
Trying to build a tft touch screen controller that can output the needed code sent instead of the factory mpc01 thats so outdated in looks, still waiting on the adapter to try it

done some checking into the nextion screen and had good help determining if it would work once i sniff out all the codes that are needed:

"what you need is to put your command in the button's Press Release Event.

So if your command is 64 02 01 01 01 10 2F F6 00 00 00 9E for cometflash strobes and you have a button in your HMI as b1 that is what the user pressed to send the command, then in the Press Release Event of the button b1 you would put: printh 64 02 01 01 01 10 2F F6 00 00 00 9E
That will cause only 12 bytes being sent over the Rx/Tx wire - the 12 bytes of your command."

RyanZ71

Jun 14, 2011
Denver, Colorado
The B-Links that my old department used starting in 1995 had the traffic advisor built into the back of the lightbar, so instead of strobe heads save for the outer, the back end was a traffic advisor. I big waste of what could have been an awesome back end strobe sequence. The county I live in now used the strobe heads in the back as a traffic advisor strobe pattern, thought that was neat, but yet ineffective when you have a left arrow or right arrow pattern using red and blue strobe lights.

irun4fundotca

Jul 7, 2016
Sydenham, Ontario
Mine has half height strobes in the upper rear and the lower are the 8 lights for the traffic advisor, that are connected to the BTLAREM inside (usually inside the BTLA bar)

Attachments

• P7200273.JPG
    P7200273.JPG
    299.7 KB · Views: 10
  • P7200266.JPG
    P7200266.JPG
    252.5 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:
Aug 6, 2015
New Jersey
Does anyone have the part number for the trasnporter, cables, and software for a Smart Arrow Messenger? The control head that we have is the MGC02. Emailed Whelen with negative results.
I am going to second this. I'm looking for the same thing and cant seem to find any information. My boss used to work for a Whelen dealer and said he'll look but has yet to come up with anything. badge22 ill let you know if he does, until then any info from you guys would be appreciated. Thanks.

C17LVFD

May 21, 2010
Harrisburg, PA
I am going to second this. I'm looking for the same thing and cant seem to find any information. My boss used to work for a Whelen dealer and said he'll look but has yet to come up with anything. badge22 ill let you know if he does, until then any info from you guys would be appreciated. Thanks.

You email Whelen for the smart messenger software. They'll send you a CD for free.

I made a guide on how to build your own transporter for $20.00. That's exponentially cheaper than the oem transporter and I'm pretty sure Whelen no longer sells the transporters.

If your stuck on oem there are two listed on eBay. One for 500.00 but doesn't have all the cables and the one below at 725.00 which appears to have everything.

http://m.ebay.com/itm/Whelen-MGXPOR...01-0268479-000-2-B-4-/201543882148?nav=SEARCH

Good luck
Seth

Aug 6, 2015
New Jersey
You email Whelen for the smart messenger software. They'll send you a CD for free.

I made a guide on how to build your own transporter for $20.00. That's exponentially cheaper than the oem transporter and I'm pretty sure Whelen no longer sells the transporters.

If your stuck on oem there are two listed on eBay. One for 500.00 but doesn't have all the cables and the one below at 725.00 which appears to have everything.

http://m.ebay.com/itm/Whelen-MGXPOR...01-0268479-000-2-B-4-/201543882148?nav=SEARCH

Good luck
Seth
Could you link me to that guide?

five0fan

Oct 27, 2015
New York
I tried building my own, but whenever I try to export it, an error comes up as "Communications failure." Does anybody have advice?

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hilux01

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.