Old NYPD electronic sirens

Torpedo

May 9, 2012
USA Fl
RadioTech said:
The NYPD logo mark7 is about as rare as a pink unicorn. I sent one back to Itech several years ago for repair never to be seen again.

All those years ago and he's still on the case R.T.!

Last edited by a moderator:

solo

Oct 20, 2013
los ángeles
Black Hoe said:
I have the non-NYPD icon version. This is what it sounds like:

Hi i have one of these units im planning on using in a 86 diplomat, however i dont know how to wire it up, didnt come with a wiring harness, CAN YOU HELP????

solo

Oct 20, 2013
los ángeles
lafd55 said:
Found these if you were interested...

Hi I have one of these units im planning on using in a 86 diplomat, however it came with no wiring harnes and i dont know how to wire it up. CAN U HELP ?????

solo

Oct 20, 2013
los ángeles
spddare65 said:
I know this conversation is old but I have some info. I have the manual for these units, and aside from the markings they are identical. One of the joys of that unit was except for the newer models being able to vary the tones, they never changed. Scientific Prototype used to make these for Signal Stat and then under their own name (SP). The company that made them is now called Itech and they are, as of a year or two ago, located at 557 So. Fulton Ave. Mount Vernon NY. They no longer make the siren, but as of about two years ago, if you bring it to them they will try to repair it.

If anyone needs the manual let me know and I will e-mail it to you.

Hi,

Just picked up a mark 7 but no wiring harness and i have no idea how yo wire it up, CAN U HELP???

solo

Oct 20, 2013
los ángeles
RadioTech said:
I have the mark2, 7 & 10 manuals if anyone needs them. PM me your email address and I'll send them.

aimg.tapatalk.com_d_13_09_27_bybyva8a.jpg

aimg.tapatalk.com_d_13_09_27_qanyneze.jpg

aimg.tapatalk.com_d_13_09_27_upypebu3.jpg

Hi can you email me literature for the mark 7 please, i just picked one up for a 86 diplomat but it has no harness and i dont know how to wire it

RadioTech

May 22, 2010
NY
Easy peasy. You have : + red , + orange , - black and your spkr wires. Pm me your email & I'll send you the wiring diagram

Wailer

May 24, 2010
Canada
My favourite NYPD electronic siren is the Signal Stat 'Stat VI'. It has yelp and hi-lo tones only. The yelp tone sounds the same as the early Smith & Wesson Magnum series electronic sirens - a slow 'wah wah wah' kind of yelp.

Aug 25, 2016
NYC
Man, I'm dying to see/hear a NYPD-spec PA300. I found nothing online. It's also seemingly impossible to find any clips of old NYPD (pre-91) Caprices or Gran Fury's responding with Signal Stats or PA300's.

CHIEFOPS

Jan 24, 2011
NYC
Man, I'm dying to see/hear a NYPD-spec PA300. I found nothing online. It's also seemingly impossible to find any clips of old NYPD (pre-91) Caprices or Gran Fury's responding with Signal Stats or PA300's.

Gran Furys never had PA300s. Unlike the FDNY PA300s, I don't think ours were different from "retail" versions other than the plug-in PA mic

Aug 25, 2016
NYC
Ah ok, interesting. I grabbed up the rarer of the two anyways, love the signal stat VII. Still wish there was some video of any of those cars responding out there.

Ghost1141

Apr 14, 2016
Kentucky
Im just gonna leave these here...i know one guy that has these but wont sell them! He has a few just sitting around!! I want one for my pov! Why keep them if someone wants to use them!

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1462380187880.jpg
    FB_IMG_1462380187880.jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 40
  • FB_IMG_1462380199961.jpg
    FB_IMG_1462380199961.jpg
    71.8 KB · Views: 37
Reactions: FCV96
Aug 25, 2016
NYC
Im just gonna leave these here...i know one guy that has these but wont sell them! He has a few just sitting around!! I want one for my pov! Why keep them if someone wants to use them!

Put up an ad in the wanted section of the classifieds here, you might luck out. I scored one last month and I'm sure there are more out there!

CHIEFOPS

Jan 24, 2011
NYC
That compact one on the left I've never seen before, and i used to be up at their shop frequently and at one time had their catalog.
The one on the right if I remember was the 220-R, I had the combination light switching - siren version, same size with 3 toggle switches red pilot lights above each switch known as the 221-R.

Its an NYPD Spec MK7 in an HHC EMS Patrol (Patrol was the term for supervisors used before conditions) car. If you have the time you should check out the entire series this guy made, Its very interesting and has a good amount of 1990s NYPD and FDNY

Gran Furys never had PA300s. Unlike the FDNY PA300s, I don't think ours were different from "retail" versions other than the plug-in PA mic

I was always under the impression that the PA300s made for the NYPD had a peak and hold as opposed to the manual coasting down. Did the NYPD model have the silver face or the black face?

CHIEFOPS

Jan 24, 2011
NYC
Its an NYPD Spec MK7 in an HHC EMS Patrol (Patrol was the term for supervisors used before conditions) car. If you have the time you should check out the entire series this guy made, Its very interesting and has a good amount of 1990s NYPD and FDNY

I was always under the impression that the PA300s made for the NYPD had a peak and hold as opposed to the manual coasting down. Did the NYPD model have the silver face or the black face?

Yes, you are correct! I apologize, thank you for reminding me.
The NYPD PA300 was different from retail (and the FDNY version), it had an instant peak and hold(no wind up), plug-in PA mic and had the black face.

MtnMan

Dec 20, 2012
Eastern PA
Received the Mark VII today, in a beat-up USPS box with a generous quantity of pet hair.

It is, in fact, a 24 V model (which is what the listing said, but I had my doubts about its accuracy). Appears usable, except that someone attempted a repair that couldn't possibly work (hint: both ends of a resistor need to be connected to something), so I have some work to do.

Reactions: Tony P and FCV96

FCV96

May 8, 2013
Queens, NY

I've found a few clips of it here and there, and I wish that footage from that era was more common!

At 0:30 in the below video you can hear the Mark VII wail winding up and see an RMP go by.

At 0:17 you can hear the Mark VII in the distance, and a few seconds afterward you get a great shot of four Gran Furys jumping the curb using the momentary yelp.

At 8:22 you can see a Gran Fury with a teardrop light go by, pulsing its Mark VII's momentary yelp a few times.

Here is a clip from what I presume is an old Dutch documentary following the NYC Transit Police, prior to their takeover by the NYPD. The GMC Suburbans had Mark VIIs in them as well, and you most certainly hear them! (Click the image, it's a link.)
ai1285_photobucket_com_albums_a590_FCV96_th_NYC_20Transit_20Po51dd003d1b6cc3757daebde16e838330.jpg

And lastly as a bonus, while this doesn't have an audio, it's great. See 3:10 for an old NYC-EMS bus (with a Beacon Ray up front to boot) and 5:27 for a Gran Fury.

Reactions: classifieds869294

CHIEFOPS

Jan 24, 2011
NYC

Ordinarily during that period EMS Lieutenants ran in GMC Jimmys, not sedans like the Diplomat in this video. I imagine that in order to easily accommodate a video crew getting in and out they turned out in this Diplomat sedan rather than having to climb in and out and around the front passenger seat of a 2 door SUV.

Last edited:

tahoe603

Nov 16, 2016
china
How to transfer yelp and prty into the manual mode?(The sound goes when pressed, and the sound stop when the button is lifted)
The siren is SS2000SB, in the version of NYPD.

CHIEFOPS

Jan 24, 2011
NYC
I can't open the link in your post..IIRC, the NYPD Smartsiren (Premium Vision) was programmed with Wail, Yelp and Hi-Lo and the Priority tone was the horn ring Tap ll tone when the siren was in Yelp mode and or Wail

Reactions: tahoe603

tahoe603

Nov 16, 2016
china
Thks a lot. And do you know how to transfer yelp and prty into the manual mode?
How to transfer yelp and prty into the manual mode?(The sound goes when pressed, and the sound stop when the button is lifted)
The siren is SS2000SB, in the version of NYPD.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hilux01

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.