Non rotating 4 way flashers other than McDermott?

Aaron W

Dec 3, 2014
Northern California
I knew of the McDemott Circle light but in the past week or two found out through posts here that there were others.

Federal's Model 044 made an appearance in this ebay frankenlight thread

http://elightbars.org/forums/threads/federal-enterprises-fs-2-on-ebay-legit.80208/

and now the Tri-light QF-1 shows up in this identify the light thread

http://elightbars.org/forums/threads/vintage-1967-beacon-id.80424/#post-617786

What else is out there in this type of light.

Just to keep things from straying lets not get into beehive type lights, or strobes unless they specifically have an alternating directional light pattern.

Aaron W

Dec 3, 2014
Northern California
Thanks, I just find these kind of neat being a little different.

I didn't have any luck finding any of those you mentioned, but I did find a video of a Do-Ray light, it doesn't give a model number though. Lights flash sequentially kind of mimicking a rotating light.

coop359

Apr 16, 2012
USA Tennessee
There is a Pyralite amber beacon on eBay. The seller is asking way above what I would pay. It is 4 sealed beams. Amber dome. Looks like a North American Signal light

Ben G

May 24, 2010
Ontario, Canada
Dominion Automotive made one based on their beacons that resembled the FS 174 and 17. Quite common in Canada during the 70's. I thankfully have 2 NOS versions and will try to get pictures up later.

Reactions: Tony P

fireglen

Sep 15, 2017
Oklahoma
Dominion Automotive made one based on their beacons that resembled the FS 174 and 17. Quite common in Canada during the 70's. I thankfully have 2 NOS versions and will try to get pictures up later.
Love to see those. Just snagged an amber dome equipped Dominion 388 that needs restored. Is that the model you have?

toon80

May 24, 2010
Laval, Canada
Here's 2 of mine.

From an old thread. :)

ERIC6913

May 29, 2010
California
I found a ultra rare federal signal four way flashing beacon in the form of a 174 style beacon not too long ago. I believe the model was a 074. I have never seen any advertisements for this model. I received it from a small rural volunteer fire dept. The beacon is currently disassembled and being refinished so I dont have my hands on it right now. I will try and get a pic of the tag asap.

This must have been offered around the time the 174 came out, in or after 1958, when the smaller diameter dome was used, even on the 4 bulb 174.
Wow!! News to me! I thought the second gen 17X BeaconRays (larger dome/narrow skirt flange) came out to accommodate the 4-bulb cages. Stationary cage for the 074--no problem, but the rotating/oscillating cages needed more room, especially the 175's tilted bulbs. The bulletin (1960?) shows the second gen skirt/dome.

Last edited:

Phillyrube

May 21, 2010
Flatistan
On the subject...

qjbKz6PVd9g44xZPA

brw1249

Apr 5, 2011
Tulsa, Oklahoma USA
I knew of the McDemott Circle light but in the past week or two found out through posts here that there were others.

Federal's Model 044 made an appearance in this ebay frankenlight thread

http://elightbars.org/forums/threads/federal-enterprises-fs-2-on-ebay-legit.80208/

and now the Tri-light QF-1 shows up in this identify the light thread

http://elightbars.org/forums/threads/vintage-1967-beacon-id.80424/#post-617786

What else is out there in this type of light.

Just to keep things from straying lets not get into beehive type lights, or strobes unless they specifically have an alternating directional light pattern.
I’ve got a Sireno with clear dome and amber sealed beam bulbs.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Safetylight5

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.