the newest warning lights arent for vehicles....

Sparky_911

Supporting Donor
May 15, 2013
Central Illinois
Looks cool but I bet it's expensive. Concept seems to work like the old opticom, lights up as you approach and off as you pass. Would be perfect for blind corner/high accident intersections.
Maybe have the white deactivate upon approach? Could be more confusing than not though.

JazzDad

Aug 5, 2011
USA
Right. Most people have their head so far up their --- that they won't even see them.

Reactions: CrownVic97

Doyle257

Jan 13, 2015
Cheektowaga, NY
I feel like you prolly wouldnt be able to use this technology around an airport....

Reactions: Bvfa23

pdk9

May 26, 2010
New York & Florida
Good idea in theory, but I doubt it will be a substantial improvement b/c:
1) some ppl will not know what the blinking streetlights mean no matter how many public education programs the city has for them
2) some ppl don't care when they see EVs rolling code 3 and refuse to yield to them b/c they think they're more
Important (until they're the ones that call 911, then they complain why we took so long)
3) some ppl have their heads shoved so far up their rectums that all the lights/sirens/horns in the world won't do jack $hit to alert them

Honestly, aside from off-duty first responders in their POVs (who understand the important of yielding and the significance of these street lights), I doubt that many other ppl will react differently to responding EVs. Also, I'm sure that the city can utilize their $ more efficiently in other areas than streetlights (i.e. chevrons on vehicles, upgrading lighting packages/specs, etc)

Reactions: CrownVic97 and jph2

Skulldigger

Aug 23, 2015
Georgia / USA
No large city is going to do the expense of installation and maintenance. It will never work right around Atlanta for sure. They still can't get the expensive traffic control systems to work here they installed 10 years ago.

Street lights within the City of Atlanta limits are divided into three categories:

1. Georgia Power Leased Street Lights (36,633) - Wooden Poles, Fiber Glass Poles and some Transformer Base Poles.

2. City of Atlanta’s owned Surface Street Lights (7,887) - Transformer Base Poles and the City of Atlanta’s type “A” and “C” street lights.

3. Freeway/Interstate Lights – (6,352) Cobra head lights with aluminum poles and Transformer Base Poles on the “freeway” on and off ramps.

JazzDad

Aug 5, 2011
USA
It didn't say in the story, but these might be useful on busy streets around fire stations.

jph2

Apr 21, 2012
USA Michigan
Good idea in theory, but I doubt it will be a substantial improvement b/c:
1) some ppl will not know what the blinking streetlights mean no matter how many public education programs the city has for them
2) some ppl don't care when they see EVs rolling code 3 and refuse to yield to them b/c they think they're more
Important (until they're the ones that call 911, then they complain why we took so long)
3) some ppl have their heads shoved so far up their rectums that all the lights/sirens/horns in the world won't do jack $hit to alert them

Honestly, aside from off-duty first responders in their POVs (who understand the important of yielding and the significance of these street lights), I doubt that many other ppl will react differently to responding EVs. Also, I'm sure that the city can utilize their $ more efficiently in other areas than streetlights (i.e. chevrons on vehicles, upgrading lighting packages/specs, etc)
Ditto. I couldn't think of a nice way to say this.

LRGJr72

May 29, 2010
Detroit, Michigan
I think there are tremendous possibilities with this concept. With some trial & error and an initial public service message informing the public to MOVE TO THE RIGHT and SLOW TO A STOP when they are engaged this could be huge.

Reactions: Doyle257

cmb56

May 22, 2010
Norrköping, Sweden
There are always people that do not understand that they shall give an emergency vehicle the "right of way".
Some become scared of the siren so they crach.
I learned from a friend in Montana Highway Patrol that they are forbidden to use sirens on the highways because of accidents when people become scared and crashed to their death instead of giving the right of way.

Here in Sweden all police vehicles has stop lamps to the front that flashes alternating red and blue with the red slowing down to steady red to give a stop signal to the vehicle in front of the police vehicle.
This is to make it safer for the police not to need to bypass the vehicle they want to stop.
How many people do you think know of this system after about 30 years of use?

I am not so sure that all people in this test city will understand it and it will be interesting to see how many surprised/confused persons that will cause an accident.

Michael

Last edited:

bluestinger90

Jun 5, 2010
BC / California
The lights say nothing about which direction emergency services are coming from, AND they are mounted on top of a light pole.

Drivers already fail to see lights approaching at ground level - diverting drivers attention to flashing lights mounted 40 feet it the air is supposed to improve the situation?!

Why not road mounted signs with flashing lights - you know at eye level.

OSP959(R)

Mar 22, 2011
Ohio
I always thought it was way easier to get people's attention at night than day. It seems neat, but a waste of money.

I'm surprised in this day and age all the new cars aren't equipped with a device that mutes your radio and uses an indicator to tell you an emergency vehicle is approaching. Maybe that will come with the driverless cars ;)

Reactions: Tony P

Kendreth

Jul 28, 2011
Nashua, NH
I'm surprised in this day and age all the new cars aren't equipped with a device that mutes your radio and uses an indicator to tell you an emergency vehicle is approaching. Maybe that will come with the driverless cars ;)

figure out some way to broadcast EAS locally around the EV responding. hijack the car radio with a message to put down the phone and pay attention.

Reactions: firebuff17

NoVAFed

Dec 28, 2011
Earth, USA, Northern VA
I always thought it was way easier to get people's attention at night than day. It seems neat, but a waste of money.

YES! This plus a million! Have an electronic device built into car radios warning of an approaching emergency vehicle that then mutes the radio. Love it!

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hilux01

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.