Federal Signal model 11 beacon motor help

Raconn308

Apr 13, 2012
Alabama
Can anyone tell me how to replace the motor on a Federal Signal model 11 that is mounted on a Visibar in classic Twin Beacon Ray set up. A parts diagram or exploded view would be helpful. I can slowly dissect the thing but I don't want to make things worse and undo the chain drive if I don't have to. I think the motor has a mounting screw on the bottom of the plate that requires me to take the light assembly apart and maybe completely off of the bar but I'm hoping it is possible to leave the chain drive cog in place on the bar at the same time. Anyone would be appreciated.

Reactions: southpaw

southpaw

May 7, 2015
South-West
Just take photos as you tear it down, and you will easily be able to reverse it and put it back together. If you get stuck post some photos on this thread and many will reach out to assist you. This learn by doing!! Have fun!!

Raconn308

Apr 13, 2012
Alabama
YUP, take it apart. No short cuts!
Thank you. I hope the chain drive is easy to figure out if I have to remove the light from the bar to work on it. Right now its in perfect sync but the motor is lose in the bracket and it swings away from the cog on the light shaft and disengages.

Raconn308

Apr 13, 2012
Alabama
Just take photos as you tear it down, and you will easily be able to reverse it and put it back together. If you get stuck post some photos on this thread and many will reach out to assist you. This learn by doing!! Have fun!!
I'm fairly good at stuff like that as long as it doesn't have really small areas to get large hands into. I was hoping someone had already done it and could help me avoid any common mistakes or problems. Nice looking Nova in your profile photo.

southpaw

May 7, 2015
South-West
I'm fairly good at stuff like that as long as it doesn't have really small areas to get large hands into. I was hoping someone had already done it and could help me avoid any common mistakes or problems. Nice looking Nova in your profile photo.
Thank you sir!

Raconn308

Apr 13, 2012
Alabama
3E2196CD-DA4F-4552-AB52-3D0857380576.jpeg
Do some searching on here. Some member had a thread and video on just this topic. Getting the chain on is the tricky part.
I photographed it and have it apart. So far nothing too complex but yes the chain awaits me. I did find that by loosening the non-motorized beacon on the other side, I could create enough slack to get the chain off fairly easy. That would be the tip I offer to anyone doing this in the future. I also noticed in the past that a lot of people that own the twin beacon ray set up have the lights out of sync. The solution I see to that is once its all back together, all I have to do is loosen either sides light head, rotate it on its shaft to the correct place and tighten. There are 2 small bolts and nuts on opposing sides behind the sealed beams that hold the light head on the shaft. I had hoped for an easier answer to just be able to tighten the mounting screws on the motor but everyone gave me the correct answers. Thank you all. Since its all apart, I might as well clean and lubricate it as well. I’ll post a video when its back up and running.

Raconn308

Apr 13, 2012
Alabama
Ref motor. The motor works well for now. It’s two mounting screws were just loose and the worm gear kept backing off of the light shaft cog.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hilux01

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.