Am I crazy?

LineSpotter

Nov 6, 2013
AmericanSouthwest
So my employees new trucks are dribbling in on the transports and
Ive been considering light options for them. During this process I keep toying with the idea of putting a sealed beam beacon on my truck.

(stop laughing)

;)

But seriously, Ill go with something modern for their trucks as they are usually in traffic, roadside, etc. Whereas I am usually only out on site if they are already there working. Ive thought about throwing on a 'modern' 2/4 beam rotator just for fun.

Any thoughts?

Any reason why I shouldn't?

Any suggestions on current manufacturers?

Attachments

• NOR400-A.jpg
    NOR400-A.jpg
    72.8 KB · Views: 9
  • 76203-.jpg
    76203-.jpg
    111.6 KB · Views: 5
Reactions: FCV96

Nolines

Apr 5, 2018
Margate, FL
Survey Says..... Ding Ding Ding Ding..... Possibly..... what about a Half Sealed Beam Half LED Bulb and lets see which one Burns Out Faster and Looks Better in Changing Conditions... just as a Matter of Seeing Which is the Better Option and Whats More Cost Efficient

Reactions: cabunty

Sparky_911

Supporting Donor
May 15, 2013
Central Illinois
Can't go wrong with a good old Fedsig or Grote. They do pull some power though...more modern vehicles can be finicky (canbus) on power draw. I've seen body control modules get nuked by strobe packs...that's a $400 part in itself.

You could go for a big LED beacon like Whelen L or 2 smaller LED beacons that sync. Pricey though.

Reactions: NVFD612

Jarred J.

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
Shelbyville, TN
2 synced feneix beacons one in clockwise the other counterclockwise rotate...

Reactions: NVFD612 and Bvfa23
Jun 18, 2013
PA
I can't say I'd rely on any modern Grote beacon like the 76203 you listed. I have about 6 of them (last count) that were factory installed on Trucks from the dealer. Out of those 6, 4 needed to go back to Grote for various reasons.. bulbs not lighting.. motor issues and various electrical shorts. These are cheap beacons.. and I would not stake anything on them.. I make use of them for display, but that is about it.

LineSpotter

Nov 6, 2013
AmericanSouthwest
I was suspicious of the Grote beacons having found even the 4 bulb versions for under $100, your reply confirms so I’ll rule those out, thanks.

Any word on the PAR46 TriLite?
They are pushing $300 but I know they’ve been around for a long time so my assumption is that they are quality. Bulb replacement will be pricey but 46’s do have some punch, and my budget should cover a number of replacements.

To those that mentioned LED rotators, thanks but my thought for this is something old school fun. Not to mention he fact that every LED “rotator” I’ve seen in person sucked big time. One of our FDs newer trucks came preset with faux-rotator patterns, I honestly thought the FS14’s on one of our backup rigs were more effective.

I can't say I'd rely on any modern Grote beacon like the 76203 you listed. I have about 6 of them (last count) that were factory installed on Trucks from the dealer. Out of those 6, 4 needed to go back to Grote for various reasons.. bulbs not lighting.. motor issues and various electrical shorts. These are cheap beacons.. and I would not stake anything on them.. I make use of them for display, but that is about it.

Doyle257

Jan 13, 2015
Cheektowaga, NY
I was suspicious of the Grote beacons having found even the 4 bulb versions for under $100, your reply confirms so I’ll rule those out, thanks.

Any word on the PAR46 TriLite?
They are pushing $300 but I know they’ve been around for a long time so my assumption is that they are quality. Bulb replacement will be pricey but 46’s do have some punch, and my budget should cover a number of replacements.

To those that mentioned LED rotators, thanks but my thought for this is something old school fun. Not to mention he fact that every LED “rotator” I’ve seen in person sucked big time. One of our FDs newer trucks came preset with faux-rotator patterns, I honestly thought the FS14’s on one of our backup rigs were more effective.
Why not mix old school and new....PAR46 LED Spotlight bulbs, in a older FEDSIG model?

LineSpotter

Nov 6, 2013
AmericanSouthwest
Why not mix old school and new....PAR46 LED Spotlight bulbs, in a older FEDSIG model?

Would need to get a good host before even considering that.
Still looking for opinion on the PAR46 TriLite Mark12

I am also up for any suggestions on a bar mount.
Does anyone even still make a no drill clamp style bar anymore?

Last edited:
Reactions: Doyle257

Jarred J.

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
Shelbyville, TN

tenor.gif

pdk9

May 26, 2010
New York & Florida
Get a strobes n more elite beacon. Economical, bright, & rotator pattern. Old school beacons are good for nostalgia but they are not nearly as bright, draw a lot more juice, are heavier/bulkier, &, like anything with moving parts, require maintenance (ie WD40)

NPS Ranger

May 21, 2010
Penn's Woods
The Trilite and the 400X are huge and cost accordingly. The 400X is only PAR36 but makes up for it with a slower 120 FPM rate for its 4 bulbs so you have a longer dwell per flash. I think from a distance both would appear fairly similar unless you put aircraft bulbs (#4537) in the Trilite. That being said, the FedSig 100 and Sentry use the old Streethawk rotator and are 85,000 CP, they are ridiculously bright in amber plus the beacons themselves and replacement bulbs are a fraction of the cost of the Trilite and 400X.

FCV96

May 8, 2013
Queens, NY
I'm always happy to see more sealed-beam rotating beacons out there. Nothing pops quite like them, and +1 on their usefulness in cold weather climates thanks to the heat they tend to generate. The North American Signal 400X is incredibly impressive in person IMO.

Last edited:

CrownVic97

May 21, 2010
Hazen, ND
I don't believe Federal had a PAR46 model.
Tripp-Lites were a heavy duty light, seemed to last forever.
The model you are looking at is HUGE!

The only PAR46 beacon Federal Signal ever made was the 371L Commander, and that was for 120v-250v applications mostly. Never seen a 12v version. I'm guessing if you really wanted to, you could gut the AC components of a Commander and swap for 12v...but that sounds like a crap-ton of work...and headaches.
s-l1600.jpg

Reactions: fp13-2

CrownVic97

May 21, 2010
Hazen, ND
Would need to get a good host before even considering that.
Still looking for opinion on the PAR46 TriLite Mark12

I am also up for any suggestions on a bar mount.
Does anyone even still make a no drill clamp style bar anymore?

First question to answer for ya: You CAN get no drill clamp style bars....on Ebay ;)
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fr...3&_nkw=adjustable+roof+top+light+bar&_sacat=0

Second....The Tri Lite Mark 12 beacon is a very versatile beacon for its size and has effective warning power at long distances. They come standard with 4435 35W par46 bulbs, but you'll need to find a Tri Lite Mars distributor in your area to get the 12 volt version of the Mark 12. You'll have approximately 6 amps of power draw with those 4435 bulbs.

Online retailer for 12v Mark 12 beacons:
https://www.materialflow.com/p/Mark-12-AC-DC-Rotating-Beacon-Light

The two-bulb, 12 volt Tripp Lite versions were actually called the S-200, and had a different bulb carriage design (round plate vs C-channel like the current Tri Lite and later Tripp Lite models). But, finding those for a good price is really hard to do.

Design of a Tripp Lite S-200 beacon, courtesy of Dcaptain.com:
tripplite.jpg

Tripp Lite also had the S-74 model (4-bulb par46, photo © John Marcson).....
ai57-photobucket-com_albums_g205_elightbars_sale_tripp74-jpg.201784

......and the S-75 model, a hill light version, with two angled par36 bulbs, one up, one down, off to the sides of the C-channel bulb holder in specialized holding plates, and two par46 bulbs on the horizontal plane....VERY hard to come across nowadays. This one is part of my collection, nestled between my own 120v Mark 12 Tri Lites and powered by a 36 amp power supply :cool:!
aelightbars_internal_data-s3-amazonaws-com_2013_12_79113_04b929f5dca9e9751fa4e988d1eae1aa-jpg.201787

You COULD also get the Tri Lite RF-64 beacon, which is the same size as the Mark 12, just uses par36 bulbs over the par46s, and will draw 10 amps: http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-5...0001&campid=5338077216&icep_item=123107327964
RF64-VL.jpg

Video demo by Chrisv4096

If you want to increase warning power, swap the standard GE 4416 30W bulbs for more powerful bulbs, like these:

GE H7616, 38W halogen. Amp draw w/ 4 bulbs - 13:
http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-5...0001&campid=5338077216&icep_item=331320417605
s-l500.jpg

Or, the GE 4464, 60W incandescent bulb. Amp draw w/ 4 bulbs - 20:
http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-5...0001&campid=5338077216&icep_item=323369809028
s-l1600.jpg

Note: If you decide to get higher wattage bulbs, it's best to hardware the beacon to with 30A relay, matching amp in-line fuse, and switch.

I hope all this info helps ya out, LineSpotter :D!

Last edited:
Reactions: BLUELIGHT and FCV96

LineSpotter

Nov 6, 2013
AmericanSouthwest
Good info, thanks for the input thus far.

The issue that may stop this project...
Finding a no drill bar to mount the light to. Fleet doesn't care what I do so long as I don't drill the roof, but all the clamp style bars Im finding have low weight limits well below even smaller beacons. All the manufactures Ive found thus far state their 'gutterless' mount bars are only good for around 4-6 pounds or one can risk them popping off.

A Mark 12 is likely 8-10 pounds o_O

I could maybe skip the bar and fabricate a plate to mount the beacon and add magnets, but I might risk trashing a motor (at best) if they strong enough (neo) to hold that sort of weight safely.

Vehicle is a 2019 Nissan Frontier
I had originally toyed with the idea of a pole mount in the bed but fleet 'got a deal' on aluminum side opening bed-covers that do not allow access to the bed for mounting.

Reactions: CrownVic97

CrownVic97

May 21, 2010
Hazen, ND
Dan has a point. The Federal Firebeam has a great punch in a small package. One dash/throw light Federal should never have discontinued.

Couple of amber ones on Ebay with BIN option.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/12VDC-FEDE...=0&customid=link&campid=&toolid=20001&mkevt=1

https://www.ebay.com/itm/FEDERAL-SI...=0&customid=link&campid=&toolid=20001&mkevt=1

If you still want to use the 12V Mark 12 with a cigar plug, you can easily attach these 250# magnets to the bottom since there are mounting holes pre-drilled in the base of these beacons. You will need to fill the rest with RTV silicone to seal the base pan completely after. That might be your best bet if you still want to use the Tri Lite beacon.

Magnets:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/4-250-5-BL...=0&customid=link&campid=&toolid=20001&mkevt=1

Boots for magnets:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/4-5-250-SI...=0&customid=link&campid=&toolid=20001&mkevt=1

Last edited:
Reactions: NVFD612 and FCV96

Nolines

Apr 5, 2018
Margate, FL
Isnt there a Third Brakelight Mount as an Option for his desire for a Roof type Mounting without drilling Holes?? I thought it came with a Flat Plate to Mount Onto.. Now IF I could Remember the Name off the Top of my Head .....
Wait Found IT!

https://acariproducts.com/

Manufacturers of Drill-Free, Truck Rooftop Mounting Solutions
Fits Dodge, Fords and GM's.... but suggest reading for your years / Models..

Reactions: BLUELIGHT

LineSpotter

Nov 6, 2013
AmericanSouthwest
BackRack is not an option, due to the bed covers?

Correct

The doors have a contoured edge that sort of seals the bed (they are junk) which totally eliminates any such mount. Our fleet manager is a clown and literally refuses any input from the field, even if it means saving money/time. These covers actually make my guys job harder and cost more than the simple boxes I originally asked for.

Oh well

Last edited:

LineSpotter

Nov 6, 2013
AmericanSouthwest
Can you find a Federal Model 14 with the 3 large Fireball magnets. That would stay on the roof at highway speeds

I’ve considered that option or even a pair mounted on a modern bar (weight may be an issue). Someone has a whole pile of NIB amber Skybolts (the plastic ones) I’ve considered as well. But if I do this my first preference would be to make it a large beacon, twin 46 or quad 36.

BLUELIGHT

Jul 7, 2018
Hendersonville NC
Can you find a Federal Model 14 with the 3 large Fireball magnets. That would stay on the roof at highway speeds
Fireball magnets of any model are unavailable. However, there is a seller on eBay that's selling circular magnets up to 150# pull each. Don't believe those would accidentally come off.

relkborg

Dec 16, 2022
North central Arkansas
The only PAR46 beacon Federal Signal ever made was the 371L Commander, and that was for 120v-250v applications mostly. Never seen a 12v version. I'm guessing if you really wanted to, you could gut the AC components of a Commander and swap for 12v...but that sounds like a crap-ton of work...and headaches.
s-l1600.jpg
Was looking around online to find info on the rotating light a friend gave me back in 06 when Santa Fe (bnsf) retired them, I am finally making a setup for it to run in the back of my shop when I do not want to be disturbed, I present the 12v dc commander 372 by federal signal.

Attachments

• PXL_20221216_155136191.jpg
    PXL_20221216_155136191.jpg
    105.5 KB · Views: 10
  • PXL_20221216_155145879.jpg
    PXL_20221216_155145879.jpg
    76.5 KB · Views: 10
Reactions: CrownVic97

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
The sentry is really the only viable modern magnetic halogen rotator "throw light". It is bright, durable, light and inexpensive. The sentry is by far the best choice, if not the only workable choice.

May 27, 2010
Memphis, TN
My recommendation is to quit asking for opinions on what to do with your vehicle. You know what you wants, go get it.

Jun 18, 2013
PA
My recommendation is to quit asking for opinions on what to do with your vehicle. You know what you wants, go get it.

I would hope the OP did so, original post was 5 years ago.

Reactions: fp13-2 and Tony P

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
Digging up and arguing in old posts is an honored tradition that was lost when people started using facebook groups. OP has long retired from the field, but that doesn't mean we can't tell him why he was wrong in 2006.

May 31, 2010
Aurora, Coloado
s-l1600.jpg
I got me one of them... red as well from CL ad about 2 years ago. No box, just the light.

Jun 18, 2013
PA
Digging up and arguing in old posts is an honored tradition that was lost when people started using facebook groups. OP has long retired from the field, but that doesn't mean we can't tell him why he was wrong in 2006.
Well... Harumph!

Your Blinkie is not as good as my Blinkie, cause blah, blah blah Rainbows and Unicorn Farts.
:oops:

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hilux01

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.