So FHP finally ditched Code3...

pdk9

May 26, 2010
New York & Florida
Nice to see that they got away from Code Junk, but I really miss them having the double synced TAs (headliner & rear deck) a few light packages ago and the use of predominantly red warning in the daytime vs predominantly blue lightbar modules in the nighttime (which happened automatically via a sensor). Especially with the advancements in duo/trio technology (as opposed to flashing half of the javelin at a time), I would’ve assumed that a red/blue valor & red/blue perimeter lights would’ve been a no brainer. Love the new PB with the 4 micro pulse ultras incorporated into the upper cross member & behind the fender wraps (FHP used to lack any front & exterior perimeter warning for decades), & the SS siren tones instead of the C3 toy tones are a plus. I’d be interested to see if the amber TA is programmed to automatically comes on only when vehicle is in park (as the C3 TAs used to do) or if they’re always on when responding code 3. This new TA pattern is cheesy and nothing beats the old single flash of the entire TA that could be seen from a mile away.

It’s nice to see that they’ve invested in improving the lighting packaged substantially (except for including red to improve daytime visibility), but they need to invest more in their compensation packages. They’re unfortunately one of the least paid agencies in the southern half of the state (salary is about $10k less than the PDs & SOs in my area), so the attrition rate is high & many ppl just use them as a “stepping stone” til then can get hired by another agency.

Also, fun fact that surprised me when I first learned about it from one of their SGTs: their policy doesn’t allow them to block any lanes on the highways/turnpike, so you’ll always see them parked on the shoulder & relying on Road Ranger or FD if lanes need to be blocked.

pdk9

May 26, 2010
New York & Florida
+1 on the dash would be better IMO so that it’s more in between the valor & PB lights, but:
A) the ppl that usually make the calls aren’t whackers like us that (generally) have a better understanding of the lighting and how to spread their $ out better
B) they might’ve left the center dash clear for wherever the trooper wants to have the radar setup (even though the new FS dash lights aren’t particularly big)

At least it sounds like they understand the importance of multiple lighting levels to the rear & drastically improved side/intersection warning in the last 2 lighting packages

Reactions: BLUELIGHT

pdk9

May 26, 2010
New York & Florida
Just found this. Looks like this was one of their last C3 trials (including a C3 Pursuit with custom placards in the center) before making the right call and going to FedSig

Reactions: Tony P

GranPrix

May 23, 2010
FL
Just found this. Looks like this was one of their last C3 trials (including a C3 Pursuit with custom placards in the center) before making the right call and going to FedSig

Yea those were the ones that were filling up with water.

Jman423

Administrator
Sep 10, 2010
United States
I remember the big deal everyone made when they were adding red to the configurations... the troopers hated it. It was only a matter of time before they went back to blue. MCCO is also part of FHP, and they stayed all-blue for a long time.

Reactions: Tony P

pdk9

May 26, 2010
New York & Florida
It’s silly to make a big deal of adding another warning color to your vehicle (for the purpose of safety). For a department that previously did studies, it’s even more of a surprise that they now ditched the red. I know a lot of state Highway patrols/state police have all blue setups, but regardless of which manufacturer of lights you have on your vehicles, that blue is hardly visible in the daytime in a sunny day

Reactions: BLUELIGHT

Evtech161

Nov 9, 2016
Woburn
Nice to see the controller they are using. The new FedSig pathfinder. That unit is basically FedSig's answer to the Carbide, only way less money and a lot more simple to install. Very effective, nice unit

emcom

Apr 12, 2011
Huntsville, AL
I
Nice to see the controller they are using. The new FedSig pathfinder. That unit is basically FedSig's answer to the Carbide, only way less money and a lot more simple to install. Very effective, nice unit
I wanted to go FS Pathfinder, but they went with Whelen. The double AS-124s on the FHP car kick some sound out! We went with 2 Tritons to save about $80 per vehicle. I didnt mind the Code 3 Z3 siren, but it too was more money.

Wailer

May 24, 2010
Canada
I checked it out on the FS web site. It's available in self contained and remote versions, although I can't tell which version is installed in the FHP patrol car. I sampled some of the tones on the web site, and some of the Rumbler tones sound kind of neat.

pdk9

May 26, 2010
New York & Florida
I

I wanted to go FS Pathfinder, but they went with Whelen. The double AS-124s on the FHP car kick some sound out! We went with 2 Tritons to save about $80 per vehicle. I didnt mind the Code 3 Z3 siren, but it too was more money.
Yeah, the AS124’s are IMO the best speaker out there (rugged, easily replaceable drivers, output). Haven’t work with the Feniex tritons yet (and they haven’t been out for nearly as long) to be able to do a fair comparison. One thing I can say, though, is that the Feniex and C3 tones sound like toy cars to me. I think that FedSig & Whelen (minus their new wail) sound the best

emcom

Apr 12, 2011
Huntsville, AL
We have one SA-500 Carson that actually sounds pretty good. We didn't go Feniex sirens because of the toy sound. I had a Tomar 940 for 3 years and didn't like it.
As a rookie, I had a few cars that I drove because they all were unreliable. My assigned car had a Unitrol Omega with series 9000 control head. The others had Smith and Wesson 800 and PA300 sirens. Smith and Wesson was toy like sounding while the Unitrol sounded like a boss! The PA300 was just the old standard and did fine with a weak airhorn.

GranPrix

May 23, 2010
FL
I remember the big deal everyone made when they were adding red to the configurations... the troopers hated it. It was only a matter of time before they went back to blue. MCCO is also part of FHP, and they stayed all-blue for a long time.

Funny you mentioned that, there's an ex MCCO I run into all the time that transitioned over and kept his Vic like most of them did but his Vic got repainted to Black n Tan but kept the all blue Whelen lighting package. He's still using it.

Hollywood

May 24, 2010
Oklahoma
It amazes me how CHP survives with such simplistic setups! Yes, sarcasm. For an agency with the financial issues it has with respect to their employees, I can’t see how they needed this much. The new lightbar itself is an improvement I will absolutely agree.

pdk9

May 26, 2010
New York & Florida
Ughhhh I hope that stupid message board doesn’t get placed in any vehicle other than recruiting vehicles. I think those message boards are so stupid to the rear of vehicles b/c most ppl either don’t read signage or are driving by way too fast to read them. Plus, if ppl do try to read them (like the NYPD message board) then, IMO, they’re distracted and not looking in front of them. Plus, it’s blocking a large chunk of their rear view window.

I gotta say, from what I’ve seen, it’s been a 50-50 mix of the newer chargers either having red/blue rear light stick or all blue rear light stick flashing on the rear deck. Troopers can say all they want about going all blue for tradition, but in the end, the mix of red/blue is gonna be safer for them. Again, it’s sad that they previously collected data showing the importance of red & blue, incorporated it into their setups for many years (ie the custom Javelins) and then just scrapped the idea for no apparent reason

Last edited:

John Hearne

May 27, 2010
Pontotoc County, MS
I'm utterly baffled about them dropping the red. We've been running red and blue for 10+ years after running blue only and would never go back. If you roll up on someone on a bright sunny day, you see the red and amber lights way before you see the blues. Florida has as much sun as we do. Troopers being butt hurt about looking like fireman seems like a really poor reason to compromise safety.

pdk9

May 26, 2010
New York & Florida
NYS did it right by modifying the V&T law to allow a combination of red/blue to the rear of ALL authorized emergency vehicles (police, EMS, Fire) about 10 years ago. Previously it was ONLY red/clear on all EV’s & ONLY blue on VFF POV’s.

FHP and all the LE agencies in Florida are permitted to run red & blue, but the Florida V&T law doesn’t allow anyone other than LE to run blue. However, a handful of fire rescue agencies have started using blue on their apparatus anyways, because it’s just that much more useful at night. I wish more states would follow NY’s path by officially allowing a mix of red/blue to the REAR only of all EVs (I know allowing a mix of red/blue to the front/sides is too much to ask for); I think it would certainly increase the # of agencies employing that beneficial color mix.

coopers

May 21, 2011
WA
We run blue/red or mostly blue depending on the agency's preference and with today's LED technology I'd say an all blue vehicle isn't as bad as it used to be for visibility. I agreed w/ FHP's study back in the day when lighting technology was what it was, but today it's fine. Both look sharp (although I am more preferential to all blue).

Phillyrube

May 21, 2010
Flatistan
I gotta say, from what I’ve seen, it’s been a 50-50 mix of the newer chargers either having red/blue rear light stick or all blue rear light stick flashing on the rear deck. Troopers can say all they want about going all blue for tradition...

What's this blue tradition shit you speak of?

Dang kids!! Get off my lawn!

Attachments

• 1559326678593.png
    1559326678593.png
    569.1 KB · Views: 6
  • 1559326706456.png
    1559326706456.png
    100.1 KB · Views: 6

cmb56

May 22, 2010
Norrköping, Sweden
Virginia State Police went from red to blue in 1985.
They used red lights of different types from 1935 to 1984.
49 years with red compared of 34 years with blue.
They have recently started to test red and blue to what I have understand.

Michael

Reactions: Phillyrube

Phillyrube

May 21, 2010
Flatistan
Virginia State Police went from red to blue in 1985.
They used red lights of different types from 1935 to 1984.
49 years with red compared of 34 years with blue.
They have recently started to test red and blue to what I have understand.

Michael
After the changeover in 85 they were still running red grill lights. That went away in early 90s. Our agency ran all blue until 94 or 95, then went to red and blue.

Phillyrube

May 21, 2010
Flatistan
No, I was with Virginia Beach. You know, another carpetbagger! I built those Philly bars for a few years. Was working for Havis Shields in Willow Grove part time, while stationed at Johnsville/Warminster. Started out rebuilding starters and generators, which was their main focus at the time (early 70s). They branched out dealing Whelen. We built a really neat demonstrator vehicle with an El Camino. Mounted a huge Jabsco searchlight in the bed. The company moved from Old York Rd near Moreland to Davisville Rd. They had a contract to outfit Philly police cars with the lights and screens. I worked there for 2 years or so, reenlisted in 1974 and left the area.

Reactions: FiremanSketch

John Hearne

May 27, 2010
Pontotoc County, MS
Saw one of my specced builds on a traffic stop last week. 4" version of the SOS MPower lightbar with red on the driver's side and blue on the passenger's side. It was around 3:00 p.m. on a bright, cloudless Mississippi afternoon. Despite the improvements in blue overall, the red was still visible way before the blue on a day in which the sun is going full bore.

To me it confirmed the importance of running both red and blue, the value of steady burn, and the value of synch. On these new setups, I'm steady burning the corner and first module on the driver's side when the patrol vehicle is stopped. That single point of light marks the edge of the vehicle in relation to the road and gives the eye something to track as you approach. I wasn't steady burning as much in the front but may have to tweak things after seeing how well it worked. Everything else on the back of the car is flashing in slow runner and is synched. All the lightbar modules, the traffic advisor, and the tail light trim rings are popping together. This really seems to make the vehicle easier to see as the footprint is so large.

Station 3

May 21, 2010
Edinburg Texas
What’s the point of the headliner lights when you have a lightbar? It seems like some agencies just add extra lights because they can. It looks like a nice setup, just a little overkill.
Same I HATE the look of tahoes and explorers with those NASTY looking rear pillar lights on the side of the SUVs..... disgusting honestly.

pdk9

May 26, 2010
New York & Florida
and no Amber to the rear?
They still have duo color amber/blue rear deck ILBs, but the default is all blue and you only have amber for TA (unlike the C3 builds where the rear deck ILB automatically flashed amber as soon as the vehicle was placed in park)

pdk9

May 26, 2010
New York & Florida
What's this blue tradition shit you speak of?

FHP has run blue for a few decades (including back when they just had the single rooftop halogen rotators) & many of the former FDOT officers (who were absorbed by the FHP) also wanted to stick to all blue since that’s what they had for a while beforehand.

Reactions: Phillyrube

Matted33

Feb 6, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
The Federal setup looks a lot better than the Code 3 lights they were using. Unfortunately, the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey just switched from Federal Signal to Code 3 on all vehicles.

Jman423

Administrator
Sep 10, 2010
United States
I'm slightly surprised FHP didn't go back to the Vision SLR for "tradition's sake", but anything is better than the Code 3 stuff they've had for the past decade or so.

John Smith

Oct 19, 2010
CO, US
The Vision SLR has numerous flaws, as much as I hate to say it. I love the SLR, I'd love to have one. But compare it to a Whelen Legend or SoundOff nForce, it's double the price, dramatically more limited function, and an aerodynamic nightmare.

Like I said, I love them. But for modern day LE, they trade function for style, and rape your wallet like a Vegas hooker.

• Haha
Reactions: Jarred J.

Jman423

Administrator
Sep 10, 2010
United States
I don't disagree, but look at Michigan and their single beacons they refuse to get rid of. Sometimes, tradition trumps effectiveness and a reasonable budget, that was the point I was making.

Did you mean Whelen Legacy or Federal Signal Legend (assuming it was a typo).

I'd love to get an RBAW Vision SLR for my collection, but I don't think they're as effective as many other mainstream products for a much lower price point.

John Smith

Oct 19, 2010
CO, US
Yeah I meant Legacy.

I'd love to have an SLR. But like you said, for my collection, not my squad. My squad will stay 100% Soundoff interior/slicktop.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hilux01

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.