Found a clear dome for my SVP-1166 teardrop... finally

Thebakerman

Jul 31, 2018
South Florida
Been looking for a clear lens for an SVP-1166 halogen teardrop light for what seems like forever. I have several SVP-1166's but have never been able to find a clear lens for one. I decided to check the STAR website and noticed they still listed clear lenses for their plastic base 1166 so I emailed and asked about it and they kindly responded saying they had just ONE clear lens left in stock and beyond that they had no plans to make any more. He said normally they don't sell to private individuals but because this was the very LAST ONE they decided to do it this one time. The price was certainly right at only $21.78 to my door :)

Normally I wouldn't have any need for a clear lens on a teardrop light because these lights were typically used by themselves and because there never was a mirror system made for them or any kind of snap-on filters, I figured there weren't many clear lenses made for the 1166 and my interest is for a collection piece because I figured they were probably rare so I felt very fortunate to acquire the very last one the manufacturer would ever stock. I also noticed they list a purple lens as well. Only thing I've ever seen purple used for are funeral processions.

I will say that STAR was very accomodating and I thank them for their assistance!

Last edited:

Thebakerman

Jul 31, 2018
South Florida
That is a beauty!
If I can make a suggestion,....Change the bulb from the current 795 horizontal filament to a 795X vertical filament bulb, and you will have a much improved vertical beam emitted from the reflector.

Funny you say that because I just happen to be waiting for an order of 795 vertical bulbs to arrive. I placed an order yesterday because I have a few other lights that would benefit from using them as well. Interestingly, every SVP-1166 light I've ever had actually came with horizontal filament bulbs from the manufacturer but I've noticed the phenomena you pointed out using my Fire Ball lights. I have several 2nd generation Fire Ball's and one of them has a bayonet base socket and I installed a 795 horizontal bulb because that's all I had on hand but I noticed that particular Fire Ball projects a very small spot of light on the wall versus the newer second generation Fire Ball's which use an H1 halogen bulb with a vertical filament. Both style lights are extremely bright but the bayonet base model projects a much smaller spot of light while I noticed the H1 model projects a very tall vertical column of light, which, I'm guessing is why Federal Signal switched from Bayonet to H1 style bulbs to begin with. Comparing those two Fire Ball's showed how big a difference using a vertical filament makes versus using horizontal. BIG difference...

As far as the clear lens goes, I've only seen a couple 1166 lights with them over the decades. I'm sure they weren't big sellers but a year ago someone was selling, or trying to sell, a Signal-Stat 381 with a clear lens and a dark blue bulb but he wanted way too much for it (an SS 381 is really just an SVP-1166 anyway), but he wanted $140 for a USED light and when I inquired about it he suddenly wanted $170! Needless to say I told him "nevermind" and noticed he tried to sell it on Ebay for EIGHT MONTHS STRAIGHT but nobody would buy it (gee, wonder why). When STAR said they had ONE left I immediately bought it. I've NEVER seen a Fire Ball clear lens for sale, and the only ones I've ever even seen are YOURS! I guess my little SVP-1166 clear lens will have to suffice because I doubt I'll ever get one for one of my Fire Ball's! Such as life :cool:

Last edited:

coop359

Apr 16, 2012
USA Tennessee
In the 80s as a teen I got my first fireball - FBH with the large magnet. I could have bought any Color lens for cheap back then. Should have stocked up. I finally got a clear Vitalite lens.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    110.6 KB · Views: 19

Thebakerman

Jul 31, 2018
South Florida
In the 80s as a teen I got my first fireball - FBH with the large magnet. I could have bought any Color lens for cheap back then. Should have stocked up. I finally got a clear Vitalite lens.

The Vitalite models you have are my favorite version (ones without a metal frame overhead). Personally, I think the ones you have look nicer versus the metal framed version.

dmathieu

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 20, 2010
S.W. New Hampshire, USA
Attention grabber for the most part, I would surmise.
BUT, I have a RARE Fire Ball Model FB13W clear that has separate switch for the light, and for the motor. This was meant to be a remote controlled spot light, as well as a rotating warning light. I have never seen this offered as a catalog item.217192217193217194

Thebakerman

Jul 31, 2018
South Florida
Love the clear dome on teardrops. Does anyone have an idea what the function of a clear dome is?

I would imagine clear-domed teardrop lights might be used in conjunction with other colored teardrop lights, such as in a permanent mount installation. Mind you, I've never seen a multi-teardrop installation but aside from that I don't know what else a clear lens teardrop would be used for because you wouldn't use one by itself since no one would know what service you represented.

Last edited:

Thebakerman

Jul 31, 2018
South Florida
Attention grabber for the most part, I would surmise.
BUT, I have a RARE Fire Ball Model FB13W clear that has separate switch for the light, and for the motor. This was meant to be a remote controlled spot light, as well as a rotating warning light. I have never seen this offered as a catalog item.

Very interesting Fire Ball. That's another one I've not seen before. I doubt Federal Signal Corporation themself has as good a collection as you!

Reactions: dmathieu

coop359

Apr 16, 2012
USA Tennessee
My High School had a security guy that thought he was a cop back in 79-82. He wore a uniform, mirrored sun glasses and a nightstick. No gun. He had a pumpkin colored Ford LTD2 4 door and drove around the school with a clear fireball on the dash. He then added a unity spot light and then a all clear Federal Twinsonic with rear red par36 flashers. Front flashers and rotator bulbs were all clear. I wish I had a photo or that light bar.

Reactions: Thebakerman

Thebakerman

Jul 31, 2018
South Florida

Is that red Fire Ball in the picture the same NOS first-gen model that sold a couple weeks ago on Ebay? If so, I followed that auction but I knew it would go beyond my personal budget, although I must say it didn't go as high as I thought it would. The flash hood looks a lot cleaner from the one in the auction, unless maybe you put one of your own on it.

Thebakerman

Jul 31, 2018
South Florida
My High School had a security guy that thought he was a cop back in 79-82. He wore a uniform, mirrored sun glasses and a nightstick. No gun. He had a pumpkin colored Ford LTD2 4 door and drove around the school with a clear fireball on the dash. He then added a unity spot light and then a all clear Federal Twinsonic with rear red par36 flashers. Front flashers and rotator bulbs were all clear. I wish I had a photo or that light bar.

At some point in our lives I think we've all known someone like that security guy. Perhaps using an amber lens was too degrading for him, which may be why he used clear but I've never seen anyone use all clear lenses before. That's dedication when you install a full lightbar on your POV! I've seen lots of firefighters do that but never a security guard. In the fire service the most I ever used on my POV were dash lights but back in the late 70's when I began there really wasn't much to choose from in the way of hideaway emergency lighting. Your choice was a red revolving teardrop or, later on, a Fireball II or Responder with an optional mirror attachment. There really wasn't anything else back then - not at all like there is today. Nowadays there's loads of choices for hideaway lighting.

Skulldigger

Aug 23, 2015
Georgia / USA
In Georgia a lot of utility companies use clear lenses as no permit is required for a "white" flashing light where technically your suppose to for Red, Blue or Amber. Not sure why amber requires one. Green is illegal on anything in Georgia. So you can light up anything clear. Absolutely love the clear lens on the teardrops. Have never seen one before yesterday and was just talking yesterday to my wife who asked if I had one. Told her I didn't think they made them and an hour later Dan posted one. Now this one shows up. I said yesterday I might have to check my house for hidden surveillance bugs.

Reactions: Thebakerman

Mars Light

Jun 23, 2011
Leipzig, Germany
That's a great collection of multi-colored 1166's. Only one you're missing is PURPLE. Although this color didn't come out until later on, it is a genuine S.O. VP lens. Don't know if they're still available though.
I know, I saw your comment on my youtube post. Do you have a contact at Star , regarding the purple dome?

CAPTAIN 58

Feb 10, 2017
Drexel hill pa
I imagine that was the only one they had ? I have owned one of every color except clear. I just traded my purple one to a guy for a brand new cairns n6a

brw1249

Apr 5, 2011
Tulsa, Oklahoma USA
That's a great collection of multi-colored 1166's. Only one you're missing is PURPLE. Although this color didn't come out until later on, it is a genuine S.O. VP lens. Don't know if they're still available though.

I've got a purple dome too!!!!!!

Wow. After reading the posts I realized that I have all the colors of the 1166 light- red, blue, amber, green, purple and clear!

Here they are..

Attachments

• 73E4E122-3551-41FE-B206-90629465C256.jpeg
    73E4E122-3551-41FE-B206-90629465C256.jpeg
    136.2 KB · Views: 31
  • 174BE101-0270-482C-AF59-A43A50932F08.jpeg
    174BE101-0270-482C-AF59-A43A50932F08.jpeg
    152.9 KB · Views: 32
  • 9D3B57EB-86AA-4A6C-93D8-E78D39565FCA.jpeg
    9D3B57EB-86AA-4A6C-93D8-E78D39565FCA.jpeg
    141.2 KB · Views: 30

Thebakerman

Jul 31, 2018
South Florida
I can still get a new purple dome but I really don't care for that color. I'm very content with amber, red, blue, green & clear. I bought new blue and green domes from STAR last year but noticed the green is noticeably lighter compared to the older green domes from years ago. My newest blue dome is a darker shade compared to earlier blue domes they used to make. Amber can be that way too, as I have one that's a darker amber color and a second one that appears more light yellow. My Whelen Responder and Cadet domes are that way too.

rescue161

Feb 7, 2017
Hubert, NC
I started putting together a small collection of lights and could not find a purple dome, so I called Star. They allowed me to buy one and asked if I needed anything else. On a whim, I asked if they had a clear 1166 dome. He said yes, so I got one. I was happy with the price too. $40.76 for both domes shipped.

rescue161

Feb 7, 2017
Hubert, NC
Does SVP still make the 1166 in the style OP posted?

As far as I know, they do make the 1166, but it is not the same style as above. It has a plastic base and the reflector is rectangular and made of plastic too. The flash rate is also much faster on the newer style. The new and old style still utilize the same domes.

rescue161

Feb 7, 2017
Hubert, NC
Just got these in today. I'm hoping to eventually make a through-wall display that you'll be able to see the lights from either inside the workshop or from the garage. I also plan to power them individually and also have a Master to turn them all on/off. All of these, with the exception of the KD, are rebadged Southern VP 1166 lights. The Sho-Me lights had the Southern VP label peeled off and an Able2Products label placed over the SVP stamp on the bottom. I thought that was funny.

Attachments

• My Tear Drop Lights 02.jpg
    My Tear Drop Lights 02.jpg
    114.8 KB · Views: 17

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hilux01

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.