Code 3 Force 4 XL Power Supply

Jacob K

Jul 27, 2019
Canada
Hello all and thank you for viewing this thread!
I currently have a Code 3 Force 4 XL all amber. I’ve found it hard to get a power supply but i was given a Samlex Power SEC-1223 power supply a while back. I just got it out and wired it up but it won’t power the bar, almost like it’s not getting any power, but when i plug in my smaller light it workds just fine. Can anyone share or help me with my problem?
Thanks!

Attachments

• 9DF74BCC-D2AB-49E4-827D-7B08FD6EFC8A.jpeg
    9DF74BCC-D2AB-49E4-827D-7B08FD6EFC8A.jpeg
    51.2 KB · Views: 12
May 21, 2010
Elmira, ny
Probaly not enough Amps to power the bar.

They usually pull about 30 Amps (or around there). I have 2 of them and I usually just test them once in awhile

Jun 18, 2013
PA
Amperage draw will be dependent on the bulbs in the bar. Take your bulb wattage and divide by 12 and this should give you an approximate amp draw.

So for example H1 bulbs are 55 watt. so 55/12 = 4.58 amps. Typically XL5000s came with either 795 (50watt) or 796 (35watt) bulbs..
figure out the type and multiply by 4.. then factor in 1 or 2 amps for motor draw.

Keep in mind also that Halogen bulbs draw a fairly large surge on cold start which can be quite high.. So in your case a 23 amp powersupply may power the bar post startup surge.. but you'll need 30 or higher to get it rolling.

Jacob K

Jul 27, 2019
Canada
Amperage draw will be dependent on the bulbs in the bar. Take your bulb wattage and divide by 12 and this should give you an approximate amp draw.

So for example H1 bulbs are 55 watt. so 55/12 = 4.58 amps. Typically XL5000s came with either 795 (50watt) or 796 (35watt) bulbs..
figure out the type and multiply by 4.. then factor in 1 or 2 amps for motor draw.

Keep in mind also that Halogen bulbs draw a fairly large surge on cold start which can be quite high.. So in your case a 23 amp powersupply may power the bar post startup surge.. but you'll need 30 or higher to get it rolling.
will LED bulbs make a big change?

Jun 18, 2013
PA
will LED bulbs make a big change?

Yes in 2 ways..
Lower amp draw..
probably a fraction of what its drawing now.

But also LED bulbs cast light differently the halogen bulbs and it may not be acceptable for your end result.

see this video..

Reactions: thatoneiowan

MtnMan

Dec 20, 2012
Eastern PA
Assuming this is for display purposes only, you can replace some or all of the halogen lamps with #93 lamps, which are only 13W.

Reactions: jdh

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hilux01

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.