Do you carry a tourniquet every day? (even not in uniform?)

Do you carry a tourniquet every day?

• Total voters

Jarred J.

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
Shelbyville, TN
Im thinking of starting to carry one "on" me because i need something else on my belt.. LOL.. due to possibilities of the place i work, being the current environment and "never knowing"

just curious about your opinions. do you carry one every where? why?

i keep one in my vehicle with other med supplies, but sometimes at work im a half mile away from the vehicle..

Sparky_911

Supporting Donor
May 15, 2013
Central Illinois
I dont. Buuuut, I keep one in the car, 2 places in the house, and in my locker at work. Granted I'm never more than 100ft from that. I used to carry all kinds of crap on my belt, mini mag, pager, chain wallet, EMS shears, etc. I find the older I get the less it means anymore.

I would carry one if I was in your position. Never know what could happen in that environment. Obviously check with admin and be ready to show that you have had the proper training course on how to use it. I doubt they'd say no to that. As long as it ain't costing them $ lol.

It's funny you mention this as our dept training next week is "stop the bleed" sponsored by our local hospital. We all get a basic IFAK complete with tourniquet at the end.

Reactions: Jarred J.

Jarred J.

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
Shelbyville, TN
@Sparky_911 yea my bosses know i have the training knowing im a vet and going to an EMR class last year.. our PSO has one on him.. in a perfect world you'd hope you never need it. lol in a "my mindset" world. id have 3 on me one for each limb.. because if you loose both arms and legs what are you going to use to treat yourself LOL

being as at night time i'm the only person "at work" that has some sense of medical training and knowing on the 3 or 4 occasions we've had ambulances out here, it is usualy a 12 - 14 minute response time which we all know is 2 - 4 minutes past being Dead ,Dead..

i always have 2 sets of gloves and a cpr mask with a set in it on me... just thought about "upping the anti.."

i carry too much on me, but i live by the uncle sam mantra of "3 is 2, 2 is 1, and one is none.." and the 1st responder mantra of "better to have it then need and need it and not have it.."

Jarred J.

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
Shelbyville, TN
These days you're more likely to need a Narcan kit on your belt than a tourniquet, extra mag pouch or CPR mask. Sad.
unfortunately i dont have that problem at my job YET but the amounts of weed ive smelled this year is more than the 4 years past LOL

got to talking to local deputies in the county and apparently no matter the amount you have anymore.. you either get a ticket or for felony levels you get a notice to appear to jail where you are RORd and appear for a court at a later date after the suspected green leafy material has been tested by TBI to see what the THC level is... so as they say "our state might be legalizing it soon soooo..."

Jarred J.

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
Shelbyville, TN
These days you're more likely to need a Narcan kit on your belt than a tourniquet, extra mag pouch or CPR mask. Sad.

bringing up an old post.. but.. i now have that but since its temperature sensitive i cant keep it in the car LOL. We had a NARCAN class for CERT training one night and we all got 2 doses.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Safetylight5

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.