2013 Ford Explorer - Amber Outfit

vpogv

Dec 28, 2014
Ohio
Sadly I had to let the Avalanche go and ended up with a nice upgrade to a 2013 Ford Explorer (and perhaps a nice F350 for a truck ;)). The goal with this build is a simple amber set up meant for rear warning to assist with traffic management. Just like the the last build it will be more of a "slick-top" approach without roof mounted light bars.

FRONT:
  • HAWs in blinkers
  • T-6s in the grill
REAR:
  • Custom T-3 traffic adviser
  • HAWs in the taillights***
  • Possible T-3s on the liftgate
I am a bit torn where to put the Hide-a-Ways in the taillight - input would be appreciated. They can go in the reverse light or the larger turn signal area... Any thoughts?

PS: Please don't be disappointed at the lack of pictures - I assure you there are plenty to come!

Tony P

Sep 13, 2015
Midwest, USA
Pictures need asap or this will be moved to tech areas. This is the Pictures/Media area and as such, they are required at time of posting.

GLUpfitting

Feb 22, 2019
Michigan
Sadly I had to let the Avalanche go and ended up with a nice upgrade to a 2013 Ford Explorer (and perhaps a nice F350 for a truck ;)). The goal with this build is a simple amber set up meant for rear warning to assist with traffic management. Just like the the last build it will be more of a "slick-top" approach without roof mounted light bars.

FRONT:
  • HAWs in blinkers
  • T-6s in the grill
REAR:
  • Custom T-3 traffic adviser
  • HAWs in the taillights***
  • Possible T-3s on the liftgate
I am a bit torn where to put the Hide-a-Ways in the taillight - input would be appreciated. They can go in the reverse light or the larger turn signal area... Any thoughts?

PS: Please don't be disappointed at the lack of pictures - I assure you there are plenty to come!
Vpogv,
For amber jobs, I'm always a fan of Amber HAW's in the clear reverse light area. If you want to get really slick, totally replace the factory reverse lamp, install an Amber/White HAW that will do a white steady burn on a reverse trigger. Our customer's love how much more they are able to see when backing up at night!

Send me a PM if you would like more info. I may have some A/W HAW's hanging out here too I can help you with.

Ken, EVT-C
Great Lakes Upfitting

Reactions: pend9521

vpogv

Dec 28, 2014
Ohio
Here is the current plan for the rear:

• Custom Feneix T-3 traffic advisor behind the rear glass.
  • HAWs in the tailights.
  • T-3 or T-6s above the rear plate.

For amber jobs, I'm always a fan of Amber HAW's in the clear reverse light area.

I am torn between putting them in the reverse light (left passenger side of above picture) or putting them in the blinker (driver side above). Reverse I can just replace the existing bulb and wire up the Amber / White HAW for dual purpose as you described. In the lower area I would have to drill a 2nd hole.

Thoughts?

GLUpfitting

Feb 22, 2019
Michigan
Here is the current plan for the rear:

• Custom Feneix T-3 traffic advisor behind the rear glass.
  • HAWs in the tailights.
  • T-3 or T-6s above the rear plate.
View attachment 217185

I am torn between putting them in the reverse light (left passenger side of above picture) or putting them in the blinker (driver side above). Reverse I can just replace the existing bulb and wire up the Amber / White HAW for dual purpose as you described. In the lower area I would have to drill a 2nd hole.

Thoughts?

Hmm... Guess it would depend on what functionality you wanted. If just going for the rear warning, I would probably go with adding a single color amber (#ELUC3H010A) into the blinker area. That would give you more warning power/surface area. But...if a goal is to also increase backup lighting, then the dual color A/W (#ELUC3H010F) in the reverse light area would be my solution. I would probably lean towards the blinker area if it were my vehicle.

Looks like a nice setup though, would love it see it when you are done!

Ken, EVT-C
Great Lakes Upfitting

vpogv

Dec 28, 2014
Ohio
Managed to finish up the mount for the T-3 traffic advisor. Simply 1x aluminum square tubing and some brackets. After I took the first picture I realized I made the drops too short and had to add another 1". The whole thing will be able to be rotated so that when the lights can be seen when the tailgate is opened or closed.

Next step is to mount it and then move on to the HAW in the rear taillights.

Reactions: StEaLtH2

vpogv

Dec 28, 2014
Ohio
A busy month but I finally put other house stuff aside today. That being said - holy crap I miss the simplicity cars had 20 years ago. Everything is overly complicated with this thing but I am sure I'm preaching to the choir here.

My goal by the end of the day tomorrow is to have all of the needed wire run from the front to the back including a few future light wires. I definitely don't want to go to this much hassle again anytime soon.

Additionally I got the rear traffic adviser mounted. I really like the way this turned out! I just need to make a disconnect harness and get it through the wire grommet. That is for tomorrow though.

Reactions: StEaLtH2 and Tony P

StEaLtH2

Mar 3, 2011
New England
Very neat idea with swivel mounting the TA..!
what do you control the TA with.?.
Thanks

vpogv

Dec 28, 2014
Ohio
Very neat idea with swivel mounting the TA..!
what do you control the TA with.?.
Thanks

I have a simple ShoMe 8 output flasher. Not ideal in all situations but for me it works great. I do feel a bit guilty setting the T-3's to steady burn but I'm happy the 8-head TA for under $300. :)

Reactions: StEaLtH2

vpogv

Dec 28, 2014
Ohio
While I ran all of the wire for the traffic advisor, HAWs and side warning I only hooked up the TA as I wasn't ready to mount the others at this time. I am not completely happy with where the flasher control box is mounted but it is mounted where 1) it's easy to reach and 2) I can move it later. Once all of the lights are in I will revisit switch placement and deal with it then.

The T3's have no problem getting through the rear tint and it is much MUCH brighter compared to my old Federal Signal TA. Well worth the effort on this one!

vpogv

Dec 28, 2014
Ohio
After a few months of just the rear TA and a temporary control set up in the glove box it was time to change. I created a panel switch panel in the dash to control everything and making it all so much easier to reach. I then finished up the back half of the car's setup:
  • Traffic Adviser in rear window
  • A/W Strobes N More Cobras to the blinker section of the rear taillights
  • T-6s in the rear side windows
I pulled the front bumper thinking the front HAWs would be just as simple but boy was I wrong and an now thinking my front set up. :confused:

IMG_20190901_112010.jpg

IMG_20190901_112041.jpg

IMG_20190901_112139.jpg

vpogv

Dec 28, 2014
Ohio
IMG_20190901_155206.jpg

HAWs are in the front turn signal section of the headlights and boy what a PAIN! I ended up comparing the Finding where to drill wasn't bad. Drilling wasn't bad. Getting all of the plastic bits out was a HUGE PAIN! All of the different areas, lenses, corners really made clean up take hours and I still didn't get it all out.

I ended up drilling a 1/4" hole at the very bottom of the light to help get compressed air into a different part of the housing which helped.

IMG_20190901_173243.jpg IMG_20190901_173218.jpg IMG_20190901_173222.jpg IMG_20190901_175738.jpg

I put in my older Code 3 Hide-a-blasts in as they were more of a 360 lens which resulted in a way brighter output than my 120 degree canons. I may kick myself for this later but for now they are staying.

Impala9C1

Sep 28, 2018
Arizona
Clean appearance. Not overly done that it is a distraction. I would add some grill lights like you mentioned or visor lights. Maybe something in the front quarter panel area as well.

vpogv

Dec 28, 2014
Ohio
Clean appearance. Not overly done that it is a distraction. I would add some grill lights like you mentioned or visor lights. Maybe something in the front quarter panel area as well.

Thanks for the input. I did not initially add the grill lights as I am more focused on rear warnings but I did run enough wire to add them easily later. It would be a great use of my spare T-3's.

REVIGOR

Oct 5, 2019
Laredo, Texas
I like the setup and the custom TA is interesting. If you add the T3s at the front, I think this would be a good place to mount them with L-brackets and still be discreet. 1570334480108.png

vpogv

Dec 28, 2014
Ohio
I like the setup and the custom TA is interesting. If you add the T3s at the front, I think this would be a good place to mount them with L-brackets and still be discreet. View attachment 220704

You are right, that is the best spot for them and I still have been tossing around the idea of adding them. When I ran the wire for the front HAWs I ran extra just in case. :)

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Safetylight5

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.