Kent's (non-mechanical) Siren Repair Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crownfire

Jun 23, 2011
USA CA
Kent, I sent you a GE Powercall and a Federal Director in a large flat rate box a couple of weeks ago. Been trying to reach you by email. Did the sirens arrive OK.
Thanks
Don Jarvis

MtnMan

Dec 20, 2012
Eastern PA
Kent, I sent you a GE Powercall and a Federal Director in a large flat rate box a couple of weeks ago. Been trying to reach you by email. Did the sirens arrive OK.
Thanks
Don Jarvis

Hi Don. I replied by email on Oct 24. Your sirens are here and they’ll be next on the repair bench. Thanks for your business!

Reactions: tsquale and Tony P

8E PPD

Dec 16, 2018
Philly
Hi MtnMan. I have a GE Powercall siren circa 1980. When it's turned on, you can barely get a tone from the speaker. You can hear it, but it's only a whisper. I would like to get you to look at it. I have it attached to a 24 volt system on an 85 AMG 5 ton truck that my organization uses for parades. It worked fine up until a couple months ago. Can you contact me at fmb2675@comcast.net?

Safetyman

Sep 18, 2017
Baldwinsville, NY
Hi Kent ,
Wondering if you repair Heathkit sirens. I have a Heath /Zenith WD-5130. The yelp settings sounds like a GE Power call and the pitch adjustment is not working. I have a copy of the manual with schematic if you need.
Thanks, Bill

Usmc69187

Nov 28, 2018
Yonkers, NY
Kent's (MtnMan's) Siren Repair Shop is open for business!

Got a croaking, squawking, buzzing, fuse-blowing, or just plain dead siren? Want to
hear it wail and yelp again in all its full-power glory?

I've been doing repair and restoration of electronic sirens for ELB members by request, and it seems like time to offer my services more widely. I have experience working on many current and vintage sirens, including:

• Carson SA, SC series
  • Code 3 V-Con, MasterCom, Undercover
  • Federal Signal PA 15, PA 20, PA 150, PA 200, PA 300, e-Q2B
  • Galls branded sirens
  • North American Signal Siren Master
  • Scientific Protoypes Mark series
  • Star SVP SS series
  • Unitrol 80K, Omega, Touchmaster, Touchmaster Delta
  • Whelen 295, Alpha
The most common component failures encountered on electronic sirens are output transistors (no sound at all), control switches (some modes don't work), and PA mic wiring and switches (no PA or scratchy sound). Older analog sirens are also prone to out-of-spec capacitors, producing tones that just don't sound right.

All of these issues, and more, can be fixed. I offer component-level troubleshooting, and I have sourced replacements for many discontinued and hard-to-find parts, including Germanium power transistors, mics, knobs, switches, fuse holders, connectors and wiring harnesses. Defective output transistors will be replaced with gain-matched pairs, which is important for long-term durability.

Basic repairs start at $60 flat rate, plus actual cost of parts and return shipping. Any additional costs are subject to the customer's approval. If my evaluation indicates that repairs are not feasible, I can return the unit as-is (customer pays return shipping), or I may be able to make a cash offer for parts value.

If you're interested in services, please PM me with details of your siren and its condition for an up-front estimate and further details.

Thanks!
Kent

Got a croaking, squawking, buzzing, fuse-blowing, or just plain dead siren? Want to

I've been doing repair and restoration of electronic sirens for ELB members by request, and it seems like time to offer my services more widely. I have experience working on many current and vintage sirens, including:

• Carson SA, SC series
  • Galls branded sirens
  • Star SVP SS series
  • Whelen 295, Alpha
The most common component failures encountered on electronic sirens are output transistors (no sound at all), control switches (some modes don't work), and PA mic wiring and switches (no PA or scratchy sound). Older analog sirens are also prone to out-of-spec capacitors, producing tones that just don't sound right.

All of these issues, and more, can be fixed. I offer component-level troubleshooting, and I have sourced replacements for many discontinued and hard-to-find parts, including Germanium power transistors, mics, knobs, switches, fuse holders, connectors and wiring harnesses. Defective output transistors will be replaced with gain-matched pairs, which is important for long-term durability.

Basic repairs start at $60 flat rate, plus actual cost of parts and return shipping. Any additional costs are subject to the customer's approval. If my evaluation indicates that repairs are not feasible, I can return the unit as-is (customer pays return shipping), or I may be able to make a cash offer for parts value.

If you're interested in services, please PM me with details of your siren and its condition for an up-front estimate and further details.

Thanks!
Kent
hey, i have a few NYPD Mark 7 sirens that need various repairs. Im hoping you'll be able to help. Hope to hear back from you.

Safetyman

Sep 18, 2017
Baldwinsville, NY
HI,
My experience with Kent has been very good . Kent has repaired for me a FS PA15,. PA150, PA200 and his latest repair for me on a Unitrol Touchmaster D. Kent apparently works several jobs in addition to siren repair. My advise is to be patient. He does good work is usually has a bench full.
Bill

Usmc69187

Nov 28, 2018
Yonkers, NY
HI,
My experience with Kent has been very good . Kent has repaired for me a FS PA15,. PA150, PA200 and his latest repair for me on a Unitrol Touchmaster D. Kent apparently works several jobs in addition to siren repair. My advise is to be patient. He does good work is usually has a bench full.
Bill
Do you have a phone number for him

WhelenNDealin

Aug 6, 2017
Ontario, Canada
Hi Kent,

I have a Japanese Clarion AA-227A from 1981 that's completely dead. Single tone (simulated mechanical) and the circuitry seems relatively simple. Tricky enough siren to find in Japan, owing to the introduction of the AA-228G a year or so later. Exact same siren, except with a ground cable instead if ground screws on the unit itself.

I've attached photos of the circuitry, including some of a capacitor that's bulging a bit. Please PM me at your earliest convenience. It'd be great to get this little beaut going again!

Thanks!

Attachments

• 20190327_105757_HDR.jpg
    20190327_105757_HDR.jpg
    192 KB · Views: 0
  • 20190327_105716_HDR.jpg
    20190327_105716_HDR.jpg
    124.8 KB · Views: 1
Here's an update on some recent repair work:

I'd like to thank two members for entrusting me with a pair of very uncommon and interesting sirens to repair, giving me a nostalgic blast from the past, and for their patience when the projects turned out to be more extensive than expected.

Tony (tsquale) sent me his beautiful Signal Stat Mark VII (http://elightbars.org/forums/threads/signal-stat-stat-vii-siren.76001/). I have an NYPD spec Mark VII, but I've never seen the full-featured version, with the modified tone switch.

The neat thing about this siren is that it's all off-the-shelf discrete logic and analog components, circa 1980, which is what I learned on as a teenager. You could have walked into any Radio Shack back then and bought almost every part to build this siren (and at checkout time, the sales guy would have tried to upsell you a CB, instead of a cell phone).

I had a scan of the original service manual to work from, but the details of the circuit diagram were blurry and there were some undocumented revisions, so I ended up redrawing the entire schematic (I'll contribute it to the old manuals thread). The Mark VII has a complicated and rather overprotective protection circuit, which was shutting down the tone and output sections. I located the fault, replaced a switching transistor and flip-flop IC, and the siren was back to perfect working order, complete with the funky Mod tones. With Tony's approval, I also did the (easily reversible) modification for the NYPD-style momentary yelp that every New Yorker from the 1970s - 1980s remembers. Check his updated thread for a video of the final result.

Turning back the retro dial a few more notches was the Federal Signal PA-1 received from another member. That's right, not a PA-10, or a PA-5... a PA-ONE. The Original Federal Electronic Siren, from around 1952.

This siren was a real time capsule. The circuitry is all transistorized, which was advanced for the time, but the construction is hand-wired, point-to-point, a technique going back to the early days of tube equipment.

I didn't have any information at all on the circuitry, but fortunately it was basic enough that I was able to trace it out and draft a diagram (to be posted as well). As received, the siren just produced a feeble, monotone squeak. The basic fix was predictable: replacing some dried-out electrolytic capacitors in the oscillator section, which restored the original, rich wail tone.

The siren also showed evidence of some more-expedient-than-expert repair work over the decades (remember, this piece dates to the era when every town had a local radio repair shop). A power resistor had been replaced with a kludged substitute and the output transistors were a mix of mismatched components. I found some NOS transistors on eBay, returned everything to spec, and was very pleased to hear the old siren putting out a solid 50 Watts.

To the member whose PA-15 is on my bench right now, I promise I haven't forgotten! It will be receiving a selector switch transplant first thing next week.

Keep those old sirens coming!
We often had our sirens repaired locally. Usually the power transistors got changed. Sometimes we had them tweaked a bit without the bosses knowing...

Hi Kent,

My name is Jacob and I recently bought a Federal Signal PA-15A Series 1E from a buddy. The siren has a few issues. It powers on/off fine and the manual wail seems to work fine but the wail and yelp tones and positions are messed up. Both tones do not cycle properly or at all sometimes and it makes weird sounds and pitches in both positions as well as that scratchy sound when you turn the knob to any position. I was curious as to how much it would cost to repair this siren. Mu buddy also has an old Trippe-Lite Electro-Sonic siren that wont do anything the fuse seems in tact but it wont power on. I dont have any pictures of it on hand but its sentimental to him because it was his grandfathers, who was the Assistant police chief in our city back in the 60s and 70s and the siren came out of his car when he retired. Anyway im hoping you can fix my PA-15A because its in good shape and I would love to have it working like it should.

Thanks,
Jacob

20190604_095322.jpg20190604_095340.jpg20190604_095348.jpg

Big-B

Dec 13, 2017
Michigan
Hi z

• Carson SA, SC series
  • Galls branded sirens
  • Star SVP SS series
  • Whelen 295, Alpha

Thanks!
Kent

Hi Kent.
I have a Federal PA200 I bought from DCaptainsales. It worked great until I was changing the mounting location. It looks like one of my mounting bolts was just a touch too long and hit the big copper coil inside and shorted something out. Now it pops the fuse on the unit as soon as I put power to it. I pray it's not cooked... HELP!!..

Bernie Milot

MtnMan

Dec 20, 2012
Eastern PA
Hi, Bernie. I can take care of that PA200 for you. It's probably a shorted output transistor. Repair service, including complete testing and adjustment to factory specs, is $60 flat rate, plus any parts and return shipping. Please let me know if you'd like my address or have any questions.

Thanks,
Kent Fitzgerald

datac

Apr 1, 2019
Pacific NW
Hi, Kent-

Don't know if you work on old mechanical sirens as well, but I have a 6v Federal Signal C6BR siren/beacon that I need to covert to 12v operation. Is this something you're up for?

PjAabaNc3MldqjEFXLRwwXrygC5hf2NQszi2mEVDTJwY4byV3IfmSmsbjRoq4lhrWD8h6Gey7YNHxHAUMHOHfypzNIlwdwgMlCeo68Bv2kUByF6xhuYa_hSh1BtemJjWlCkT1inm-X7rYT-SClETKCuJJ3tVN0seRNffp9Doz5bq2z17jZCwyr0HI0JmDt82_5_RAuz8zJNzy9npNf10OEw9rdnNUPDBS7CiZiT1V1ZjqWSltZjfGrBhb-sfEhR3S6BSKBU2qZyd-f2fPqcroa7mnd6VipWekTTBnUhJPRRVDfpKQVxlKcMM91NW4AL6IUeiJdWD7WgoDTPokHF1i0NQ7dQ6jIKVyrNuu4dvUJIb26fnVGR9hIpA4a57nfCTx2g902HFGmVxkPB3NAj7ojZ7AhOZxgmbvvLWiMqrk1rspPziMnbzofPEgUY0kHCxb6xsSbF4l9kqs4dtsFVvdSKJWW1ohAcGa4liA1vhJAVpiE5jpBv41nisRO6I9MU8yNWnIX13h93fzMAXWeG9vpr-IVQpm326bEbvyIIIZV_EdVrCr9glfnh67jsOMymxJFZSSzGNrmC23cAjhlFZ5y1bRy5yv9KDdzqHQkV8u9RgV4ct9D5moAV_4a7nJ4p-2JGUOmbZXbjYo9NVQ-tZR3Rzfm1qsKKiFXrWkRGN9x7GkR28HF-XDHmbkfl6JC_4zcDotG2kFTgiyiyT9Mo7ttMxjLlpNN7IGUkw5BlFMZPFQWPfPA=w890-h563-no

E0gPVU_-6REBG4FJEYn3y7ASteDE2_1xnhiey_7Hrz_lsbXif3jwgRO7X4ksbBo1EmZItcL_uXYCyvHNwnUlBTe3rtmUJDGoRXTFPhcKiu7-xrqAcd7rOnBlnevHI0LFIHgBR6EGK1Tl4i9icK2rCFcQT1G5nKll3rdOBZ4jzzNbt6XiXvgY9s9Qkf5iZDXh6jJGYtGgc3OfT_VQ8MyOwpSKX_vpU-VgB-C6bKgLKtQ3OsIKJ4XWCAzUHyETUhxfse80M_biIA7Ew9rWPrGSuHTMDOUca2qHQ14l-xMttZsQwZUzLmlSrUHpJnlF1L-zPbyPLnRnpnaiSI5XZv4PxlYAEoTPkVaM4vB2rTivcFlJ4jx3JE3lEOsHvD7eXp9yYVtHQf3svj2Qchhyscn8ur58_Eg4a4-xoWXn58Hu9bXc2SSeX03iAr2nodvuy_6vb8gsgmzRfOHWwTrF_N4z0B3_rzUyRZjNhhC3B9WlVmfx-lt4cotAWL-dxPhJ7jPcGZvPs_T_Cg8kmnWtW5yApjOmAQkPwBGg8jc4w0ix1SH9yGyo1Tc3nBKqgYvuwHio_jdrBDKDoLYtEQn__iWPxxoJkJ6LyXce9WUDWvxLCiRsYQSg2Ae3fOtCb5yKB-j8Q8DZTH4LuJqVNzmbF9g_HpTS5Wp4Uqj-Oo4DKIfTy6WeWf-EJMSAW8yWyx6Nj1ncaO13l84P4TlrYziC9IgBafiHiYJFZyJCljKwRk9ixI4NwLkBnw=w1050-h955-no

Tony P

Sep 13, 2015
Midwest, USA
Hi, Kent-

Don't know if you work on old mechanical sirens as well, but I have a 6v Federal Signal C6BR siren/beacon that I need to covert to 12v operation. Is this something you're up for?

PjAabaNc3MldqjEFXLRwwXrygC5hf2NQszi2mEVDTJwY4byV3IfmSmsbjRoq4lhrWD8h6Gey7YNHxHAUMHOHfypzNIlwdwgMlCeo68Bv2kUByF6xhuYa_hSh1BtemJjWlCkT1inm-X7rYT-SClETKCuJJ3tVN0seRNffp9Doz5bq2z17jZCwyr0HI0JmDt82_5_RAuz8zJNzy9npNf10OEw9rdnNUPDBS7CiZiT1V1ZjqWSltZjfGrBhb-sfEhR3S6BSKBU2qZyd-f2fPqcroa7mnd6VipWekTTBnUhJPRRVDfpKQVxlKcMM91NW4AL6IUeiJdWD7WgoDTPokHF1i0NQ7dQ6jIKVyrNuu4dvUJIb26fnVGR9hIpA4a57nfCTx2g902HFGmVxkPB3NAj7ojZ7AhOZxgmbvvLWiMqrk1rspPziMnbzofPEgUY0kHCxb6xsSbF4l9kqs4dtsFVvdSKJWW1ohAcGa4liA1vhJAVpiE5jpBv41nisRO6I9MU8yNWnIX13h93fzMAXWeG9vpr-IVQpm326bEbvyIIIZV_EdVrCr9glfnh67jsOMymxJFZSSzGNrmC23cAjhlFZ5y1bRy5yv9KDdzqHQkV8u9RgV4ct9D5moAV_4a7nJ4p-2JGUOmbZXbjYo9NVQ-tZR3Rzfm1qsKKiFXrWkRGN9x7GkR28HF-XDHmbkfl6JC_4zcDotG2kFTgiyiyT9Mo7ttMxjLlpNN7IGUkw5BlFMZPFQWPfPA=w890-h563-no

E0gPVU_-6REBG4FJEYn3y7ASteDE2_1xnhiey_7Hrz_lsbXif3jwgRO7X4ksbBo1EmZItcL_uXYCyvHNwnUlBTe3rtmUJDGoRXTFPhcKiu7-xrqAcd7rOnBlnevHI0LFIHgBR6EGK1Tl4i9icK2rCFcQT1G5nKll3rdOBZ4jzzNbt6XiXvgY9s9Qkf5iZDXh6jJGYtGgc3OfT_VQ8MyOwpSKX_vpU-VgB-C6bKgLKtQ3OsIKJ4XWCAzUHyETUhxfse80M_biIA7Ew9rWPrGSuHTMDOUca2qHQ14l-xMttZsQwZUzLmlSrUHpJnlF1L-zPbyPLnRnpnaiSI5XZv4PxlYAEoTPkVaM4vB2rTivcFlJ4jx3JE3lEOsHvD7eXp9yYVtHQf3svj2Qchhyscn8ur58_Eg4a4-xoWXn58Hu9bXc2SSeX03iAr2nodvuy_6vb8gsgmzRfOHWwTrF_N4z0B3_rzUyRZjNhhC3B9WlVmfx-lt4cotAWL-dxPhJ7jPcGZvPs_T_Cg8kmnWtW5yApjOmAQkPwBGg8jc4w0ix1SH9yGyo1Tc3nBKqgYvuwHio_jdrBDKDoLYtEQn__iWPxxoJkJ6LyXce9WUDWvxLCiRsYQSg2Ae3fOtCb5yKB-j8Q8DZTH4LuJqVNzmbF9g_HpTS5Wp4Uqj-Oo4DKIfTy6WeWf-EJMSAW8yWyx6Nj1ncaO13l84P4TlrYziC9IgBafiHiYJFZyJCljKwRk9ixI4NwLkBnw=w1050-h955-no
I believe Kent only works on electronic sirens. Member @Skulldigger does work on motors for mechanical sirens and may be of assistance. I would suggest you PM him, as to not detract from Kent's thread here.

Safetyman

Sep 18, 2017
Baldwinsville, NY
HI Kent, I have a Heathkit WD5130 siren with the yelp sound's like a power call and the pitch pot is not working right. I know your bench get''s full, so please let me know when you have some time and I will send it to you.

Thanks. Bill

Last edited:

• Carson SA, SC series
  • Galls branded sirens
  • Star SVP SS series
  • Whelen 295, Alpha

Thanks!
Kent

Kent: I've got a Federal siren unit I just dug out and tried to get it operating again, but it just seems to not be able to start. I'm going to try and load some photos of it at the end of this message, and when you see it, I'm certain you have worked on many of them. I just can't seem to get a good power source to it to make it run. You will see on one of the photos that there are two wires coming from beneath the unit, which are for power and a ground. The red light bulb is apparently burned out, too. It is listed on the Federal serial number tag as a 6 volt. I live down in the mountains of far northwestern Virginia, and if needed, I can probably just drive it up to you, based on your note about being in the eastern PA area. Here are the photos........I'm anxious to receive your reply.......Jay S.

Attachments

• IMG_1130 (2).JPG
    IMG_1130 (2).JPG
    204.3 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_1127 (3).JPG
    IMG_1127 (3).JPG
    129.2 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_1126.JPG
    IMG_1126.JPG
    118.2 KB · Views: 1

Tony P

Sep 13, 2015
Midwest, USA
Tony’s correct, I specialize in electronic sirens only. But thanks for inquiring!
Kent: I've got a Federal siren unit I just dug out and tried to get it operating again, but it just seems to not be able to start. ......I'm anxious to receive your reply.......Jay S.
Jay, see Kent's post from earlier, which I have quoted here. He only works on electronic sirens, not mechanical

Tony P

Sep 13, 2015
Midwest, USA
Tony’s correct, I specialize in electronic sirens only. But thanks for inquiring!
Hi Kent
I have a Federal Electric siren type 161A - that doesn't seem to spinning fast enough to produce a sound ....any thoughts?
As mentioned several times, see Kent's post from earlier, which I have quoted here. He only works on electronic sirens, not mechanical ones.

Nolines

Apr 5, 2018
Margate, FL
As mentioned several times, see Kent's post from earlier, which I have quoted here. He only works on electronic sirens, not mechanical ones.
Yes Kent does not have any extra mice to spin mechanical sirens up to speed( they broke the wheel), does he know anyone after all this time of who might be able to help with those sirens he can reference???

Tony P

Sep 13, 2015
Midwest, USA
I believe Kent only works on electronic sirens. Member @Skulldigger does work on motors for mechanical sirens and may be of assistance. I would suggest you PM him, as to not detract from Kent's thread here.
Yes Kent does not have any extra mice to spin mechanical sirens up to speed( they broke the wheel), does he know anyone after all this time of who might be able to help with those sirens he can reference???

Tony P

Sep 13, 2015
Midwest, USA
It's been a while since this thread was posted in. Is Kent still around? I PM'd him about some work I need done but haven't gotten a reply.
He is still around, but exceptionally busy. I have a handful of sirens to send him myself and was told it will be a while be fore he will have room on his work bench.

Reactions: hitman38367

WhelenNDealin

Aug 6, 2017
Ontario, Canada
Oh jeez I have a few to send. A dead 1980 Clarion AA-226 from Japan and an SA-400-73 that sounds like a busted arcade game are the first two and three other common ones that have relay or connection issues.

I've been meaning to send him the Clarion for eons now.

Reactions: classifieds869294

hitman38367

May 23, 2010
West Tennessee, USA
Copy that. I would be ok with him just saying, "hey, I'd love to work on your stuff. I'm slammed and it will be a while. I'll put you on my list and contact you when to send your items." Anyway, I'm happy to hear that he is still repairing good stuff. I'll await his reply to my PM. Thanks!

Captbinky35

Dec 9, 2021
Louisville

• Carson SA, SC series
  • Galls branded sirens
  • Star SVP SS series
  • Whelen 295, Alpha

Thanks!
Kent
I have a federal EQ2B that needs help, no main power oroutput

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hilux01

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.