Hello! from small business owner

FirstSignal

Nov 4, 2019
Maryland
Hello! My name is Daniel. I run and operate a small business just outside of DC installing on commercial trucks and security vehicles. Most of my business is through fleet departments at Ford/Chevy dealerships.

I've been trying a few different brands but have not become a distributor for any of them yet. I look forward to learning some new things and hopefully contributing useful information!

Tony P

Sep 13, 2015
Midwest, USA
Welcome to the site! We have several here who carry various product lines that may be a resource for you

Carlos SpicyWeiner

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 3, 2012
Lakeland, Florida
Welcome to the forum. Everyone will have their opinions. I get most of my business through two ford dealerships as well. I know the challenges you most likely face. Wish I had a dodge and chevy dealership under my belt though lol

Jman423

Administrator
Sep 10, 2010
United States
Welcome to the forum. Everyone will have their opinions. I get most of my business through two ford dealerships as well. I know the challenges you most likely face. Wish I had a dodge and chevy dealership under my belt though lol
Ironic, you tout "opinions" but your signature's logos are the only noticeable graphics on the entire page.

Carlos SpicyWeiner

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 3, 2012
Lakeland, Florida
Ironic, you tout "opinions" but your signature's logos are the only noticeable graphics on the entire page.

I never put them there. They magically appeared there. :D

FirstSignal

Nov 4, 2019
Maryland
Thanks guys, I'd be happy to share any input that iv'e learned but im pretty sure someone has already covered what i'd have to say.

Still have'nt been able to break into the dodge market. Not a lot of Dodge HD sales in my area and don't do any police vehicles. Perhaps in the future.

Jman423

Administrator
Sep 10, 2010
United States
Thanks guys, I'd be happy to share any input that iv'e learned but im pretty sure someone has already covered what i'd have to say.

Still have'nt been able to break into the dodge market. Not a lot of Dodge HD sales in my area and don't do any police vehicles. Perhaps in the future.
I've resided in Florida, Virginia, Texas, and Georgia in the past 5 years and I've never seen anything other than a Charger serve as an Dodge police/official vehicle. I can't say I've ever personally encountered a Durango or Ram emergency vehicle.

Nolines

Apr 5, 2018
Margate, FL
Well in Florida and the us police use the Durango and the postal inspectors, the ram I'm not 100% positive on who other than seat. Remember the Dodge mantra...
If you can't Dodge It, RAM IT!

Carlos SpicyWeiner

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 3, 2012
Lakeland, Florida
Well... with the significant price increase for the explorers, the dodge durango is now the cheapest police SUV. I expect to see it making a push soon.

John Smith

Oct 19, 2010
CO, US
We won't go near the Durango, the only reason being that ridiculously moronic dial shifter. Just give us a normal column shifter that actually works.

I won't be buying new cars for a few years, but just bought 4 Explorers (2018 models). So far they've been good, no problems with any of them, but the highest mileage is only 22k. Front seat legroom left a lot to be desired, even with half cages. I only have one guy at 6'4", but he'll get something else next go around.

Nolines

Apr 5, 2018
Margate, FL
So a ta hoe or maybe an expedition?? I'm not very tall but s bigger guy and I hate cars other then my crown vics or pickup trucks, no freaking hip room esp when wearing the gunbelt or anything over sizedand no leg room left to right front to back.

Carlos SpicyWeiner

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 3, 2012
Lakeland, Florida
Responder f150 would be my choice. Not as much room as you'd think in a tahoe.

and yeah... 2020 explorers won't be any less than 35k. tough pill to swallow on the price increase

John Smith

Oct 19, 2010
CO, US
The F150 is where we're going next, at least for the tall guy.

Tahoe is also down on power, they don't let you get the 6.2 in a 4WD Police model, just the 5.3.

Jman423

Administrator
Sep 10, 2010
United States
The F-150 3.5L EcoBoost is a VERY capable engine, I bet that would make a nice service vehicle.

John Smith

Oct 19, 2010
CO, US
I ordered our Explorers with the 3.5 Ecoboost, but to be honest wasn't very impressed. For all the hype I was expecting those things to flat move the fuck out. Imagine my surprise when they barely pull on our Crown Victoria's haha. But the F150 gets the gen 2, so they'll be stronger, and they're not detuned for the PTU like in the SUV's.

Nolines

Apr 5, 2018
Margate, FL
Oh give me a 5.0 with fuel economy and horsepower to spare and screw the EPA and this bad ethanol fuel that destroys engines from the tank on down the line! And give me back my crown vics!

Reactions: Jarred J.

Jman423

Administrator
Sep 10, 2010
United States
I ordered our Explorers with the 3.5 Ecoboost, but to be honest wasn't very impressed. For all the hype I was expecting those things to flat move the fuck out. Imagine my surprise when they barely pull on our Crown Victoria's haha. But the F150 gets the gen 2, so they'll be stronger, and they're not detuned for the PTU like in the SUV's.

I'm surprised to hear you say that. I've got the 3.5 EcoBoost in my F-150 and it blows the doors off of anything I've driven with a V8.

Oh give me a 5.0 with fuel economy and horsepower to spare and screw the EPA and this bad ethanol fuel that destroys engines from the tank on down the line! And give me back my crown vics!

I also have an F-150 with the 5.0 and it doesn't touch the power or fuel economy of my EcoBoost. However, I can appreciate the pros of both engines.

FirstSignal

Nov 4, 2019
Maryland
I'm surprised to hear you say that. I've got the 3.5 EcoBoost in my F-150 and it blows the doors off of anything I've driven with a V8.

I also have an F-150 with the 5.0 and it doesn't touch the power or fuel economy of my EcoBoost. However, I can appreciate the pros of both engines.

I've got a 3.5 Ecoboost and came from a 5.3 Silverado and love it. Only downside from that switch is I have a 1.5 second lag for the truck to shoot off. My 3.5 will also tow more weight and with ease.

As far as the 3.5 in the F150 and 3.5 in the Explorers a big factor will be the rear end in each one. For example my F150 has a 3.73 and a Cruiser will probably have a lower ratio for better fuel economy.

Jman423

Administrator
Sep 10, 2010
United States
I've got a 3.5 Ecoboost and came from a 5.3 Silverado and love it. Only downside from that switch is I have a 1.5 second lag for the truck to shoot off. My 3.5 will also tow more weight and with ease.

As far as the 3.5 in the F150 and 3.5 in the Explorers a big factor will be the rear end in each one. For example my F150 has a 3.73 and a Cruiser will probably have a lower ratio for better fuel economy.
Get an SCT Tuner and a 5-Star tune and that problem will go away... you WON'T be sorry.

Carlos SpicyWeiner

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 3, 2012
Lakeland, Florida
JMan423 isn't lying.. I drove his truck and smoked the tires a few times.. (maybe I shouldn't have admitted this). It also seemed to be doing excellent in fuel mileage.

John Smith

Oct 19, 2010
CO, US
The Trucks are a lot different than the Explorers. And don't get me wrong the Explorers are decent, but the impression we got from Ford and the hype is that they'd be downright fast, and get great fuel economy. Neither is true.

They are average in today's world.

My overall fuel economy in 22,000 miles is sitting at 14.8. I don't have much to compare that to though, I am in a largely rural response, of course idle time but not all shift (I shut the car off a lot), and given that it's a take home car I do a good amount of distance at highway cruising.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hilux01

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.