D-Tech MX7000 question, observation and reminiscing funny story...

May 21, 2010
Minnesota
So I have an MX7000 with D-Tech rotators on my display (3 glass, 2 plastic). I typically only run it for 5 minutes or less. The other day I ran the outer rotators for a good 20 min. The dome above the light was starting to deform from the heat. I shut it off and put a wet washcloth on top of each to cool the dome. No cracking, bubbling or damage but slightly deformed now. It is on my display so I might put in lower wattage bulbs. The only issues I have heard of them is the plastic reflectors flaking. How did the domes not melt and collapse onto the rotator when used in service? I was thinking of putting in a tiny computer fan but I dont think that would really help. Other then a lower wattage bulb, any tips/suggestions?

While thinking about this, I remembered a funny story of a bar I sold years ago. Sold an all amber MX to a kid with a plow truck. He contacted me a week later seeing if ai had any spare parts. He wanted to see it work in his bedroom so he stuck the ends of the wires in an electrical outlet at home. I never saw the bar but he said all the light bulbs literally ecploded, bent some of the rotators and 3 of the motors ignited. Im sure they burned all the oxygen and went out. Some people, lol.

• Haha
Reactions: Dave F and Doyle257

coop359

Apr 16, 2012
USA Tennessee
Thanks for the warning. I just got a D tech MX from a FD. It had 4 extra new plastic D Tech covers. The ones on the bar are hard to tell what color they are. Probably from heat. I will put small bulbs in when I clean it up. I never cared for D Tech. It was cool to go RBRB but it was less bright.

kenwied

Jan 22, 2015
Wisconsin
I put lower wattage bulbs in my D-Tech's mainly because it's a display only bar. Most of the heat related issues should be alleviated.

May 21, 2010
Minnesota
I put lower wattage bulbs in my D-Tech's mainly because it's a display only bar. Most of the heat related issues should be alleviated.

What bulbs did you use? I put #93 in my display Vision and they work pretty good. The filiment is horizontal so I would rather get a vertical one. Currently mine has H1 bulbs but I have the bulb bases to convert them.

kenwied

Jan 22, 2015
Wisconsin
What bulbs did you use? I put #93 in my display Vision and they work pretty good. The filiment is horizontal so I would rather get a vertical one. Currently mine has H1 bulbs but I have the bulb bases to convert them.
That's what I used as well. I don't need the extreme beam of light as a display bar.

dg0223

Feb 20, 2011
USA/Texas
I actually shoehorned some D-Techs into the front sections of a Code 360 bar. They looked pretty neat, but they were the plastic kind, not the glass kind, and yes, to echo @Jennifer Rose Towing — I hated the flaking off of the magic D-Tech fairy dust.

2004p71

Aug 27, 2010
canada
I rarely use my d tech bar but I will keep that in mind if I want to let it run for extended period of time.

May 21, 2010
Minnesota
I rarely use my d tech bar but I will keep that in mind if I want to let it run for extended period of time.
I put #93 bulbs in 2 of the rotators. Being the filiment is horizontal but the reflector is designed for vertical the light is terrible. It produces a dim very thin light output. I would be willing to bet using an led bulb will produce the same if not better results. (Mine is on my display wall indoors and the light reflection is terrible). If the filiment were verticle I suspect it would be significantly better. I will likely try some type of led just to test. Even though it wont come close to hitting the proper point on the reflector, the added light output should make up for the difference.

2004p71

Aug 27, 2010
canada
most led light if not all are in the 5k 6k range and produce a blueish light wich do not work well with filters . I tyred them in the past on an aerodynic with amber dome and got greenish color .

CD3

May 25, 2010
USA, CA
So I have an MX7000 with D-Tech rotators on my display (3 glass, 2 plastic). I typically only run it for 5 minutes or less. The other day I ran the outer rotators for a good 20 min. The dome above the light was starting to deform from the heat. I shut it off and put a wet washcloth on top of each to cool the dome. No cracking, bubbling or damage but slightly deformed now. It is on my display so I might put in lower wattage bulbs. The only issues I have heard of them is the plastic reflectors flaking. How did the domes not melt and collapse onto the rotator when used in service? I was thinking of putting in a tiny computer fan but I dont think that would really help. Other then a lower wattage bulb, any tips/suggestions?

While thinking about this, I remembered a funny story of a bar I sold years ago. Sold an all amber MX to a kid with a plow truck. He contacted me a week later seeing if ai had any spare parts. He wanted to see it work in his bedroom so he stuck the ends of the wires in an electrical outlet at home. I never saw the bar but he said all the light bulbs literally ecploded, bent some of the rotators and 3 of the motors ignited. Im sure they burned all the oxygen and went out. Some people, lol.

Jennifer, I saw your post, and yes it is a long while ago. first the plastic D-Teh's were really poor, stay with Glass. Now I ran D-Tech's in my fleet for a few years but where I worked was mostly cool. we ran 795X bayonet 50 watt bulbs. nothing higher. For displays the glass D-Tech reflects the light also upwards and with the bulb stationary it creates an extremely hot focal point abot the rotators with can melt the lenses. My suggestion get between 25-40watt halogen if you can it should solve the warping of the lenses.

jdh

May 21, 2010
Geneva, FL
I was going to add on my last post. I have been using the #93 bulbs for decades on display lights. (I think they also go by the 25811 number as well). They are perfect for this use. The filament is in the right point, they only draw just under an amp as opposed to around 5 amps for a halogen, and you can get them anywhere.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hilux01

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.