CHP Siren Tones

Clint129

Nov 15, 2019
Somers NY
To my knowledge you can’t get them special ordered or anything of that sort. However, the Whelen Gamma 2 has the CHP Yelp I believe

I believe so. If I do remember correctly, CHP contracted with Whelen to make their own special tones. So you’ll only hear these specific tones on CHP vehicles and not any other department or Whelen product. The Gamma 2 Yelp has a different pitch to the one used in CHP vehicles. But they sound incredibly similar.

d119

May 26, 2010
CA - Land of Steady Red
Spoke with the Whelen rep and went as far as asking him to please check with Whelen engineering on this, but they insist that the CHP siren tones are nothing special, and that they are just standard Title 13 tones that are a standard part of their product offerings with Title 13.

Discuss.

What about this?
CA T13 Siren Tone Requirements
I think the reason CHP has their own siren tones might be because... I don't know, other sirens they've tried doesn't meet the requirements...?
I don’t think they chose their sirens cause of other sirens not meeting requirements. It’s probably to meet the law while having a distinct unique sound people can recognize easily. Because there are a lot of sirens that meet Title 13 requirements. CHP used to use Federal Signals before they switched over to Whelen so I don’t believe they chose Whelen just because other sirens didn’t meet the requirements.

d119

May 26, 2010
CA - Land of Steady Red
Well I cannot get a straight answer out of the Whelen dealer. I asked them specifically to talk with Whelen engineering and everyone claims that the standard Whelen wail/yelp tones are what the CHP uses. But I don't think it takes a genius to tell that the peak of a CHP wail cycle is considerably lower than the peak of a Whelen standard wail cycle. The yelp also cycles more slowly and without such a high peak.

Oh well. I'm getting too old to chase this stuff down like I used to when I was younger. Too many projects.

smallish

May 8, 2020
Fremont, CA
Well I cannot get a straight answer out of the Whelen dealer. I asked them specifically to talk with Whelen engineering and everyone claims that the standard Whelen wail/yelp tones are what the CHP uses. But I don't think it takes a genius to tell that the peak of a CHP wail cycle is considerably lower than the peak of a Whelen standard wail cycle. The yelp also cycles more slowly and without such a high peak.

Oh well. I'm getting too old to chase this stuff down like I used to when I was younger. Too many projects.
What do you mean, "standard tones"? Do you mean the 295 tones?

d119

May 26, 2010
CA - Land of Steady Red
OK. So what this boils down to is that there is a CHP-specific "black box" that handles the siren. Hence the reason it's not available on any "off the shelf" Whelen products.

I'm researching another potential avenue.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
airflores

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.