FDNY Twinsonic 12F Reboot

Jun 18, 2013
PA
Pulled this one off the shelf to breathe some life back into it again.

My original Youtube video..

It's been 6 years since I posted that.. wow

So this is how it looked as I started earlier today..

Optimized-20210327_151120.jpg Optimized-20210327_151204.jpg

Tag reads 12F Series A3..
Motor is stamped 8-83

Optimized-20210327_151134.jpg

a quick peak under the hood... Twinsonic Nudes!!!

Optimized-20210327_152051.jpgOptimized-20210327_152127.jpgOptimized-20210327_152117.jpgOptimized-20210327_152102.jpg

Needed some grease for the gearbox, and a wipedown for the most part.

Optimized-20210327_154058.jpg

NOS clear Twinsonic domes! I've been sitting on these for probably as long as I have had this bar. Just never got around to putting 2 and 2 together.

Optimized-20210327_155707.jpg Optimized-20210327_155721.jpg

The new domes and red filters really pop on this bar. The camera does not do this justice as this is easily the prettiest twinsonic I own.. yes even beats my CTSs.

For the video folks...

Rob

Last edited:
Jun 18, 2013
PA
I believe the PAR36 flashers were used in the Economy series, model 12EF.
Yes the EF series did use them, however I also have a 12F with metal par36 holders and a 12F with the plastic series as well. Maybe they were uncommon?

stansdds

May 25, 2010
U.S.A., Virginia
A Twinsonic 12F with par 36 flashers would be unusual. I am thinking either an end plate swap, damage to the end plate tag or a light stamping making the 12E designation look like 12F, or someone took out the 1/2 mirror and light assemblies and swapped in the assemblies from a 12EF.

Model 12E versions were an economy version of the Twinsonic, lacking the stainless trim along the front and back of the base of the bar and had an aluminum speaker cover instead of stainless. Model 12E designates no other lighting other than the outboard rotating lights. 12EF added the PAR-36 flashing lights. The V-mirror was optional on the E versions and did not bring a separate model designation.

Skulldigger

Aug 23, 2015
Georgia / USA
That is one great looking bar. I have one sitting in my barn waiting on me to get motivated. lt has one blue and one amber lens on it. Haven't been able to determine what department it was used in. Love those clear domes though to show the inner workings of this thing.

Reactions: Stampeed Valkyrie
Jun 18, 2013
PA
Looks really great with the new domes.

Does the FDNY have red filters to the front and rear and the NYPD used red to the front and amber to the rear?
From my understanding yes. The NYPD Bars were identical other then the swapping of the filter colors similar to the NYPD Aerotwin. I am no NY lighting expert so I would defer to someone with supporting documentation. Most of my information comes from people who have since retired, family who have since retired, or contacts who were associated with these organizations.

the NYPD Twins had a -1Z designation and came in other lengths like Mid. @shues and @stansdds there are NYPD Twins that are 12Fs and have par 36 flashers. I know of at least 1 I have on hand that is not an E bar and has par36 lamp holders. Its also worth noting that not ALL NYPD Twins had the -1Z designation, Also worth noting that the Twinsonic did not have proliferation or a long life in NYPD service. It existed in that late 70's early 80's time frame where Signal stats were getting long in tooth and the Aerotwin had yet to be selected.

Reactions: Tony P
Jun 18, 2013
PA
That is one great looking bar. I have one sitting in my barn waiting on me to get motivated. lt has one blue and one amber lens on it. Haven't been able to determine what department it was used in. Love those clear domes though to show the inner workings of this thing.
I think I have said this before but I really like R/A, and also a strong like for B/A.

Reactions: Skulldigger
From my research, all of the NYPD twins with maybe the exception of the experimental bars were all MEF12s for 1980 RMPs and vans the next couple of years. 1979 Highway RMPs had the standard length EF12s. They came with red front flashers and amber rear flashers and the rotators were R/W.

CHIEFOPS

Jan 24, 2011
NYC
From my understanding yes. The NYPD Bars were identical other then the swapping of the filter colors similar to the NYPD Aerotwin. I am no NY lighting expert so I would defer to someone with supporting documentation. Most of my information comes from people who have since retired, family who have since retired, or contacts who were associated with these organizations.

the NYPD Twins had a -1Z designation and came in other lengths like Mid. @shues and @stansdds there are NYPD Twins that are 12Fs and have par 36 flashers. I know of at least 1 I have on hand that is not an E bar and has par36 lamp holders. Its also worth noting that not ALL NYPD Twins had the -1Z designation, Also worth noting that the Twinsonic did not have proliferation or a long life in NYPD service. It existed in that late 70's early 80's time frame where Signal stats were getting long in tooth and the Aerotwin had yet to be selected.
The NYPD did not use this version Twinsonic. Instead it was the all-Par36 bar with colored inboard alt flashing bulbs- red front, amber rear. They were installed on 2 or 3 model years of sedan RMPs and possibly a model year or 2 longer on other vehicles such as passenger vans, 4X4 SUVs, ESU REPs and Roadside Repair trucks.

CHIEFOPS

Jan 24, 2011
NYC
Nice. As you noted above these would have been on the R-Body HWY RMPs, possibly also the same model year vans, SUVs, REPs and Roadside Repair trucks, I just don't remember for sure.

Jun 18, 2013
PA
I admit my knowledge of NY specific vintage lighting is limited, for the 12EF was there anything special about the bar itself either markings or otherwise?

@CHIEFOPS I am being told that NYPD did have the 12F at some point, I was shown a picture of what appears to be a 12F but its not super clear being a vintage photo and mostly blocked by the 2 officers that were the intended subjects of the photograph. I was also told that the Twinsonic for the NYPD was experimental in nature and never saw mass deployment is this correct?

Thanks,

Rob

Wailer

May 24, 2010
Canada

View attachment 229512 View attachment 229510

Motor is stamped 8-83

View attachment 229511

View attachment 229509View attachment 229506View attachment 229507View attachment 229508

View attachment 229505

NOS clear Twinsonic domes! I've been sitting on these for probably as long as I have had this bar. Just never got around to putting 2 and 2 together.

View attachment 229504 View attachment 229503

The new domes and red filters really pop on this bar. The camera does not do this justice as this is easily the prettiest twinsonic I own.. yes even beats my CTSs.

For the video folks...

Rob
I see that there is no speaker in the bar. I have a book with a picture of Mack CF trucks leaving a fire hall in New York, and the pumper has a TwinSonic on the roof and a speaker mounted in the grille of the truck.

CHIEFOPS

Jan 24, 2011
NYC
I admit my knowledge of NY specific vintage lighting is limited, for the 12EF was there anything special about the bar itself either markings or otherwise?

@CHIEFOPS I am being told that NYPD did have the 12F at some point, I was shown a picture of what appears to be a 12F but its not super clear being a vintage photo and mostly blocked by the 2 officers that were the intended subjects of the photograph. I was also told that the Twinsonic for the NYPD was experimental in nature and never saw mass deployment is this correct?

Thanks,

Rob
I know an all red Twin was field tested before the 1973 model year switch/upgrade from the single Signal-Stat 374 to the Signal-Stat twin beacon/can light bar. It's entirely possible the 12F was field tested before selecting the Dual Comm for 1978.

stansdds

May 25, 2010
U.S.A., Virginia
Dollars to donuts the Signal-Stat Dual Comm was less expensive than the Federal Signal Twinsonic. Cost can be a significant and often determining factor in selecting equipment and the 1970's was not an era in which the economy was all that good.

Reactions: lotsofbars

kadetklapp

May 21, 2010
Indiana

View attachment 229512 View attachment 229510

Motor is stamped 8-83

View attachment 229511

View attachment 229509View attachment 229506View attachment 229507View attachment 229508

View attachment 229505

View attachment 229504 View attachment 229503

For the video folks...

Rob
Rob are you willing to part with one of the old clear lenses?

Jun 18, 2013
PA
Rob are you willing to part with one of the old clear lenses?

I am not sure what I am going to do with them yet. Bare minimum I'll clean them up and give them a good buffing. I may have a use for them, but if that falls through I may be able to make them available.

Reactions: kadetklapp

CHIEFOPS

Jan 24, 2011
NYC
Dollars to donuts the Signal-Stat Dual Comm was less expensive than the Federal Signal Twinsonic. Cost can be a significant and often determining factor in selecting equipment and the 1970's was not an era in which the economy was all that good.
With NYC/NYPD price always conquers all else, especially coming out of the 1975 fiscal crisis. I used to have a saying when it came to NYC/NYPD purchasing- "the best low bid will buy".

Jul 14, 2014
North Central US
I was told, and also under the impression myself, that the 12EV was the unit with the "V" mirrors installed... I believe this can be verified by ex416 as I believe he has an actual 12EV in his stash.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Safetylight5

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.