Hhs4207 / Whelen command.

ECM242

Jul 29, 2010
FL
Hey guys,
I just got my first programmable siren. It replaces a fed smart siren.
I got this thinking I would have a bunch more outputs with all the buttons, but it is limited to 8.

Am I missing something or are they selling it so guys can have a billion siren tones?

Also, does anyone know of a tutorial or walk through exposing more on the unit and the software.
There are a bunch of things, virtual and events and I’m sure I’ll find others things I don’t know what they mean.

I googled the crap out of it, but can’t locate anything.

Unit is 4207, 21 slide, with external second siren box. All is installed and working, but the limited outputs are disappointing. The learning curve is a bit difficult with no documentation other than the installation pdf.

Any hidden, or cool features it might do as well?

Thanks.

tsquale

Lifetime VIP Donor
Oct 12, 2010
Minnesota, USA
What control head are you using? CANCTL6 with the rotary dial for siren tones or the CANCTL7. Yes I know that the 4207 comes with the CANCTL7, just verifying that is what you're using

tsquale

Lifetime VIP Donor
Oct 12, 2010
Minnesota, USA
Basically to answer your question you have Eight 10 amp relay outputs and one 15 amp relay output, which is listed in every document and website that I have found it for sale. You can program the other buttons in a limited capacity (various siren tones for example) but not as outputs.

Bvfa23

Oct 14, 2013
Depew, New York
4207 is geared toward people that will be using most of the buttons for their WeCan lightbar(s), I got a CenCom for the same reason, the additional siren tones are just a bonus on top in my opinion.

ECM242

Jul 29, 2010
FL
It’s this head.
I guess I missed the limited outputs when I bought it. From the you tube vids I saw, I saw them controlling all kinds of stuff and and the ability for dual tones, plus all the tones you could change with the click of a mouse, got me.

I have three older in er edges, front, upper and lower rear.
With rear flash, back half of car, front half, take downs, left arrow right arrow,left alley, right alley, I am full.
I am unable to keep wig wags, hammer siren and a low power switch separate. That sucks.

Another issue I noticed, was man button. I can’t seem to reprogram to manual stop. It will only do manual coast. I was able to add stop to a different button, but the normal manual button won’t do it. Reloaded, changed tones and disabled, re enabled with no luck. Any ideas on that?

Going to try and finish up today by adding the horn to do air horn. Hopefully won’t run into any problems with it.

Thanks for the replies.

ECM242

Jul 29, 2010
FL
Need more help lol...please.
Back in the day, I could program the clocks on vcr’s, so I was kind of kool. Now not so much. :cool:

It was shutting itself off, I found the setting and changed it to 10 hours. (Longest)

After it shut off, I couldn’t get it to power up. It has 3 power wires and the backlight which I made 24/7 hot, right to the battery.

On my other electronics, they have ignition sense wire, but this doesn’t seem to have that listed.
If it doesn’t sense any change in the ignition sense wire, it turns off and I can’t get it to turn back on.

Friday was my end of days off, went to work, had the car off for about 30 mins, came back out, and it was dead. Couldn’t get it to turn on. Pulled console apart, Hooked usb to tough book and it powered up. Left the car running and it plugged in to TB since. That’s working for now.

Could you please tell me what I’m doing wrong, or what they call what I know as an ignition sense wire? I jumped it off the one for my camera system and that is still working fine.

I love whelens lights, but am wondering if I should have stuck to federal siren controllers. This things killing me.

Thanks.

Bvfa23

Oct 14, 2013
Depew, New York
Do you have one of the Low Current Activation wires hooked up?
Typically it’s the white/red to a ignition power source

ECM242

Jul 29, 2010
FL
Do you have one of the Low Current Activation wires hooked up?
Typically it’s the white/red to a ignition power source
No sir.
I didn’t have enough out puts and I think since my inner edges are not the new smart ones, I would have to apply a +output to run low power on them. I did originally want to set that up though.

If I recall the wires correctly, it’s white with red stripe for positive and red with white for negative.

I had another weird thing happen. I work in the city, but live out in the woods. I have a long road home about 10 miles of nothing but orange groves, so I was playing with all the tones.
I went through everything and then did some UFO stuff, hitting the buttons quickly to change them up and the thing locked up screeching a high pitched sound (not an assigned tome) ,and would not turn off.
SUCKED.
I opened the Whalen command real quick, opened my file and re transferred it rear quick and when it does that, it resets. That shut it off.

Today again on the way home, I ran it again, but just normally switching tones and it didn’t crash.
I can’t imagine how embarrassed I would be if that happened with a new siren in front of other folks.

It should be good stuff, I mean some of it is from the future. The control panel was made in March, the external siren control box is made next month and the main unit is made next may...lol

Attachments

• 29FF9461-EB82-4411-AC6B-04B6D965294C.jpeg
    29FF9461-EB82-4411-AC6B-04B6D965294C.jpeg
    96.9 KB · Views: 9
  • 8CE95051-5203-4D70-9AD5-C7535050861A.jpeg
    8CE95051-5203-4D70-9AD5-C7535050861A.jpeg
    93.8 KB · Views: 7

Stu824

Feb 19, 2018
Pennsylvania
I guess I missed the limited outputs when I bought it. From the you tube vids I saw, I saw them controlling all kinds of stuff and and the ability for dual tones, plus all the tones you could change with the click of a mouse, got me.

With rear flash, back half of car, front half, take downs, left arrow right arrow,left alley, right alley, I am full.
I am unable to keep wig wags, hammer siren and a low power switch separate. That sucks.

Another issue I noticed, was man button. I can’t seem to reprogram to manual stop. It will only do manual coast. I was able to add stop to a different button, but the normal manual button won’t do it. Reloaded, changed tones and disabled, re enabled with no luck. Any ideas on that?

Going to try and finish up today by adding the horn to do air horn. Hopefully won’t run into any problems with it.

Although it has fewer outputs than the Carbide, Sapphire, etc, there is still a lot you're able to do with this particular unit with the multiple state buttons.

I assume you already have the Whelen Command software, so when you open your file for programming, go to the top left corner where there's a subdued Whelen "W" (when you hover over it, it'll become red). Click on that and go down to "Help", and then over to "view help file"

This will open a Whelen Command window getting you started on learning a majority of the unit's capabilities.

You can choose specific topics at any point by going to the top left "Main Menu" area which will provide a drop down menu to choose from.

Reactions: BUTTERZ77

Bvfa23

Oct 14, 2013
Depew, New York
Low Current Activation = Ignition trip

It’s not a low power wire for your lights as your describing.

I’m sorry your having troubles but a lot of it sounds like operator error to me, I’d highly suggest finding someone local to you who’s experienced in the Whelen products to help you, and assist you getting it wired correctly.

ECM242

Jul 29, 2010
FL
Thanks for the replies.
I didn’t know know about the “W” hover that would give me more options.
This might help, I will look into it in a bit.
The low power wire, I figured had to do with the new smart lights.

Believe it or not, I have been working on my work cars since the early 90’s and so far, they turn out clean installs with no issues.

I’ve never had an issue like this. I don’t know why they don’t have some kind of documentation with the Whelen command sofware, or even something to say click on the W to access help files.

This is my first Whelen siren, I’ve always had federal. Back then it was the 300, then the 400 to the smart siren. They just always worked. I’ve just upgraded to better models. This time I just wanted something cooler with more outputs and wanted to try this.

Maybe if I grew along the times with with whelens set up and didn’t jump into a computer controlled type to cut my teeth, it would have been easier.

Thanks for the help.

Reactions: Bvfa23

ECM242

Jul 29, 2010
FL
That helped a lot.
Thanks guys. Ignition Wires done correctly now and knowing about the hidden W was the key to happiness. I think I’m going to like this thing again.

I was able to adjust backlighting so I can see if something is on during the day, I was able to incorporate the traffic arrow flasher indicator lights, which I thought was useless without the smart light bars etc..

I never would have found that w and there isn’t crap on google for a help guide or where to find one.

Thanks again.

Reactions: StEaLtH2 and Stu824

Bvfa23

Oct 14, 2013
Depew, New York
Good to hear brother,

Hopefully you can get it dialed in even more to your liking, it’s a great siren just a little limited on the outputs if your not utilizing the WeCan which I would highly recommend you upgrade your bars so you can then use all the bells and whistles that come along with it.

You should be able to find some I/O board for them somewhere depending on the model series you have.

Smoked

Oct 29, 2017
Pa
You do know there is a series of videos on you tube going over programming and such .you can also email customer service or call them for support.there is also a dedicated FB group for carbide/command users , there are some serious brains out there who can do amazing things with these things .

ECM242

Jul 29, 2010
FL
Thanks for the reply.
I have been around this page for a long time through the name changes. I tried here first, by searching and then asking.
I did go over some of the youtube vids but they didnt seem to show what i thought i needed.
Thanks for the heads up on the FB groups. I will check it out.

fp13-2

May 20, 2010
Harrisburg, PA
View attachment 217481
It’s this head.

Thanks for the replies.
Resurrecting a necro thread here...

Were you able to get the manual stop to work? Even when I assign it the manual stop tone, it still does manual coast. I'm not sure what else to try.

fp13-2

May 20, 2010
Harrisburg, PA
Resurrecting a necro thread here...

Were you able to get the manual stop to work? Even when I assign it the manual stop tone, it still does manual coast. I'm not sure what else to try.
I had the same issue, and I went into Events and changed the Manual Coast event to play the Manual Stop tone, and that works now. Not sure if that's the right way to fix it or not...

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Safetylight5

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.