911EP LS15 not working

Jordan C.

Jun 12, 2010
Florida
It's been a very long time since I have posted on here. Glad to see it's still around. Anyways, I've already searched and didn't see the answer to my question.

I just acquired a 911EP LS15. I tried to power it up (Red+, Black-, and Orange+) and it came on for a quick second and turned off. I'm assuming maybe a short inside the unit, but when I opened one end it had a ton of silicone in it. Are there any tips or tricks to fixing this sucker?

Attachments

• 20220716_194342.jpg
    20220716_194342.jpg
    106.4 KB · Views: 9
  • 20220716_194346.jpg
    20220716_194346.jpg
    109 KB · Views: 8

tsquale

Lifetime VIP Donor
Oct 12, 2010
Minnesota, USA
@Jordan C. If my memory serves me correctly, each colored wire serves as a trigger wire and when using them together also overrides patterns. Have you tried the other colors?

Jordan C.

Jun 12, 2010
Florida
@Jordan C. If my memory serves me correctly, each colored wire serves as a trigger wire and when using them together also overrides patterns. Have you tried the other colors?
I did. Still a no go. I would completely remove the power and ground, and re-apply the other colors to power and get a quick flash of light then nothing. That's what leads me to believe it's a short maybe to the power or ground internally, but how in the heck can I get to the flasher board?

tsquale

Lifetime VIP Donor
Oct 12, 2010
Minnesota, USA
I did. Still a no go. I would completely remove the power and ground, and re-apply the other colors to power and get a quick flash of light then nothing. That's what leads me to believe it's a short maybe to the power or ground internally, but how in the heck can I get to the flasher board?
I believe the boards are sealed on these so they are exterior safe. Unfortunately might be out of luck

Jordan C.

Jun 12, 2010
Florida
No is not an answer lol. Someone must have broken into one of these suckers before. The light is in nice physical condition, I just hate to see it not work. It has sentimental value, since 911EP fizzled out here in Jacksonville, FL.

StEaLtH2

Mar 3, 2011
New England
So you hooked up your power and ground and then applied power to some of the other wires with no result?

May 21, 2010
Minnesota
My first thought when reading your post was that it can give a quick burst when power is first applied to the red/black. If the burst comes only when applying power to the trigger wires and not when first powered up I would confirm my power source. If you are usng a low battery, low amp source or high voltage it could do funny things. Next would be to test all the trigger wres individually and combos.

Jordan C.

Jun 12, 2010
Florida
My first thought when reading your post was that it can give a quick burst when power is first applied to the red/black. If the burst comes only when applying power to the trigger wires and not when first powered up I would confirm my power source. If you are usng a low battery, low amp source or high voltage it could do funny things. Next would be to test all the trigger wres individually and combos.
So finally had some time to try another source. I apply power and ground = nothing. However, as soon as I touch one of the triggers to power, all leds light up and go off. So I guess I need to play operation and see how to get this sucker taken apart.

Jun 2, 2014
Colorado
The early style is not potted, so they just come right apart. Remove all the lenses/modules, take off the end cap near where the wiring comes out, the whole board slides out.

I've seen some with corrosion (since they're not perfectly sealed), some develop microfractures and work when the board is flexed slightly around a specific spot. Sometimes, reflowing solder points manually helps.

At least they're not complete trash like the later version, which is potted and much more prone to failures.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hilux01

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.