Ford F-250 Park-Kill help

fireman616wfd

May 24, 2010
Oxford, MS
Can anyone give me some help with hooking up park-kill to shut off white emergency lights on a 2020 Ford F-250 XL. Have not had much luck finding anything and the only park kills I have ever set up came prewired from factory. Thanks for your help and any tips or tricks for this.

StEaLtH2

Mar 3, 2011
New England
First, you need to verify whether ground or hot switched DRL’s. So remove a headlight Cluster and test both the power and the ground to see what switches off when it is put in park.

Reactions: fireman616wfd

fireman616wfd

May 24, 2010
Oxford, MS
First, you need to verify whether ground or hot switched DRL’s. So remove a headlight Cluster and test both the power and the ground to see what switches off when it is put in park.
Ok I’m going to have to use my brain to remember the hookup to my relay depending on if it’s ground or hot on the DRL’s. Have not done full install in awhile and well I’m about to jump into one because I have time now to do them again some.

StEaLtH2

Mar 3, 2011
New England
When you say “relay”, are you referring to what it is you want switched?
Also, just thought of this, but you need to verify that the DRLs actually come on in drive and go off in park , I have a GMC that the DRLs are on if it’s running regardless of transmission selection.

NoLimitSquads

Feb 11, 2021
Minnesota
If you used the drl as park, wouldn’t it then think that its in park if the headlights were on?

I think I have the wire colors to tap into the park signal in the steering column at work. I can check on monday.

fireman616wfd

May 24, 2010
Oxford, MS
When you say “relay”, are you referring to what it is you want switched?
Also, just thought of this, but you need to verify that the DRLs actually come on in drive and go off in park , I have a GMC that the DRLs are on if it’s running regardless of transmission selection.
Yes the DRL’s activate when in drive and shut off in park, I just checked.

If you used the drl as park, wouldn’t it then think that its in park if the headlights were on?

I think I have the wire colors to tap into the park signal in the steering column at work. I can check on monday.
That would be very helpful…. I guess the horn ring on this truck I would just have to go unplug the wires from actual horn connection and tap into them.

NoLimitSquads

Feb 11, 2021
Minnesota
Yes the DRL’s activate when in drive and shut off in park, I just checked.

That would be very helpful…. I guess the horn ring on this truck I would just have to go unplug the wires from actual horn connection and tap into them.
I just looked. I have the wiring for 21 F-350. Horn ring is green/white in the steering column, white 12 pin plug, pin 1 or BCM passenger kick black 52 pin plug (plug B) pin 18.

The wiring diagram doesn’t give any park wires, but I remember doing a 2020 Expedition that I couldn’t get the wiring for park. I just opened up the column and tested wires until I found the park sense wire. There should be a wire in the column that is directly related to park and the column shifter. I think that it might have been a tiny green wire.

fireman616wfd

May 24, 2010
Oxford, MS
The wiring diagram doesn’t give any park wires, but I remember doing a 2020 Expedition that I couldn’t get the wiring for park. I just opened up the column and tested wires until I found the park sense wire. There should be a wire in the column that is directly related to park and the column shifter. I think that it might have been a tiny green wire.
So I’m curious…. Does the park sense wire go hot when it’s in park or what?

NoLimitSquads

Feb 11, 2021
Minnesota
So I’m curious…. Does the park sense wire go hot when it’s in park or what?
Its been a couple years since I did that, I can’t remember for sure. It might have went hot in park, or, when not in park the wire has some voltage on it, and then goes to ground in park, similar to a door trigger. I still have the command file on my computer at work. I can check the polarity of the park input, and that will tell me if it went to 12v or ground. But I would bet that it went to ground.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hilux01

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.