My Project: Construction of a Ford Crown Victoria in the style of the FDNY / Fleet Service Division

Hello dear friends of the FDNY and collectors,
I am now starting a big project. It's about the construction / conversion / restoration of a Ford Crown Victoria, in the specification (paintwork, decals, light bar, siren and siren switch box), like this vehicle from the FDNY at the FSD (Fleet Service Division), or the EMS division or the Fire Marshals is used.

Who can help me on the following topics:

- Color / color code of the red paint

- Manufacturer of the decals (yellow and white reflective stripes and crests / emblem / seal of the Fire Department City of New York on the door and whether you could get / buy these decals

- Siren type and siren switch box type

- Interior / inside the vehicle (seat-covers).

I get a Ford Crown Victoria by a US-Police-Car-Dealer here in Berlin.
This car is with the Police Package, it has a spotlight on the side, ok, the FDNY-Crown Vics did not have this spotlight.

My aim is to rebuild the vehicle as originally as possible. An original vehicle from New York City is impossible to get. In addition, these vehicles are in very poor condition due to continuous use and old age.
That's why I ordered a Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor, a version for the police, in the USA. By the way, this one comes from Florida and is in good condition. But also has a little over 100,000 miles down.

I will be proud to own such a vehicle, also in memory of the September 11, 2001 attacks on the World Trade Center.

Attachments

• FDNY Ford Crown Victoria 1.jpg
    FDNY Ford Crown Victoria 1.jpg
    205.9 KB · Views: 63
  • ford crown vic 6.jpg
    ford crown vic 6.jpg
    20.2 KB · Views: 56
  • ford crown vic 5.jpg
    ford crown vic 5.jpg
    26.1 KB · Views: 47
  • ford crown vic 4.jpg
    ford crown vic 4.jpg
    20.9 KB · Views: 43
  • ford crown vic 3.jpg
    ford crown vic 3.jpg
    20.7 KB · Views: 40
  • ford crown vic 2.jpg
    ford crown vic 2.jpg
    18.8 KB · Views: 39
  • ford crown vic 1.jpg
    ford crown vic 1.jpg
    19.7 KB · Views: 44
  • FDNY Ford Crown Victoria 4.jpg
    FDNY Ford Crown Victoria 4.jpg
    180.5 KB · Views: 48
  • FDNY Ford Crown Victoria 3.jpg
    FDNY Ford Crown Victoria 3.jpg
    137.1 KB · Views: 51
  • FDNY Ford Crown Victoria 2.jpg
    FDNY Ford Crown Victoria 2.jpg
    154.7 KB · Views: 54
Jun 18, 2013
PA
Anything fdny is copyrighted (or trademarked) and if i remember right you would have to write to them for permission or be in deeeeeeeeeep shi* :)

Quite possibly the case, but I know of quite a few apparatus done up like the FDNY does and no issues. Some are even used commercially, and yes some even in NY even literally across the river from NYC. @Bars&Beacons of New York is in Europe and if not getting used commercially I think the point is even more moot.

I personally don't know the paint codes, but I am willing to bet a google search will get you a high resolution scan of the logos, and then 3M safety tape or whatever its called with do for the striping. Another google search will get you the fonts used.

Quite possibly the case, but I know of quite a few apparatus done up like the FDNY does and no issues. Some are even used commercially, and yes some even in NY even literally across the river from NYC. @Bars&Beacons of New York is in Europe and if not getting used commercially I think the point is even more moot.

I personally don't know the paint codes, but I am willing to bet a google search will get you a high resolution scan of the logos, and then 3M safety tape or whatever its called with do for the striping. Another google search will get you the fonts used.
Hello Stampeed Valkyrie,
yes, I have Google asked a lot of time… but informations of the FDNY-letters or codes of the colors I have not find. But I could ask a graphic designer for the letters and decals.

Reactions: kitn1mcc

StEaLtH2

Mar 3, 2011
New England
Good day sir…. I’d like to wish you luck with your project. Will be watching for updates to come. I’d like to offer a link to an actual fleet service Vicky. It actually wouldn’t be that hard to copy this vehicle from FSD. Also, while it’s likely not a risk for you to “copy” official vehicle markings as you are overseas, you could consider using NYFD and I bet most people wouldn’t even realize it!

Regards

Attachments

• 72D24F89-F889-4773-ADCC-B10CC480AE95.jpeg
    72D24F89-F889-4773-ADCC-B10CC480AE95.jpeg
    30.8 KB · Views: 5
Good day sir…. I’d like to wish you luck with your project. Will be watching for updates to come. I’d like to offer a link to an actual fleet service Vicky. It actually wouldn’t be that hard to copy this vehicle from FSD. Also, while it’s likely not a risk for you to “copy” official vehicle markings as you are overseas, you could consider using NYFD and I bet most people wouldn’t even realize it!

Regards

Hello StEaLtH2,

thanks for the video. My favourite is this car in red, with the StreetHawk-Lightbar. This white Crown Victoria is used by the fire prevention teams, but I am not sure. I see "FSD" on the side, like on the "normal" red Crown Victorias, from the fleet service.

Yes, the idea with "NYFD" is not bad.

Thanks and best regards.

Do you know this video?

Hello Mars Light,
thanks for show this video…
yes, I know this Video. This car is my absolute favorite… I hope it is possible for me to rebuild my Crown Victoria to this car as original as possible.
The videos in YouTube from THEMAJeSTIRIUM1 are very great. I have watch a lot of videos from him to see some details of lights and Lightbars.

Hello Mars Light,
thanks for show this video…
yes, I know this Video. This car is my absolute favorite… I hope it is possible for me to rebuild my Crown Victoria to this car as original as possible.
The videos in YouTube from THEMAJeSTIRIUM1 are very great. I have watch a lot of videos from him to see some details of lights and Lightbars.
… best regards from Oranienburg to Leipzig. And now I have seen your FireHawk in red with blue domes. Great!!!!!

I am now starting a big project. It's about the construction / conversion / restoration of a Ford Crown Victoria, in the specification (paintwork, decals, light bar, siren and siren switch box), like this vehicle from the FDNY at the FSD (Fleet Service Division), or the EMS division or the Fire Marshals is used.

- Manufacturer of the decals (yellow and white reflective stripes and crests / emblem / seal of the Fire Department City of New York on the door and whether you could get / buy these decals

This car is with the Police Package, it has a spotlight on the side, ok, the FDNY-Crown Vics did not have this spotlight.

My aim is to rebuild the vehicle as originally as possible. An original vehicle from New York City is impossible to get. In addition, these vehicles are in very poor condition due to continuous use and old age.
That's why I ordered a Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor, a version for the police, in the USA. By the way, this one comes from Florida and is in good condition. But also has a little over 100,000 miles down.

I will be proud to own such a vehicle, also in memory of the September 11, 2001 attacks on the World Trade Center.
Here are a few news:
I hope, the Crown Victoria is delivered today. I wait for a call of the importeur.

The Lightbar Federal Signal StreetHawk is finished, rebuild in the setup of the FDNY. With very very rare Meteor Traffic Clearing Lights, red filter lenses on the rotators, all lower level secondary lights are flashing (no takedowns and alleys) and rare clear new domes.

I have seen a picture where you can see that the siren / Lightbar switch box is a Federal Signal Smart Siren - Box. So I need this Switch Box.

The Code of the red Color is paint code „74 U Fire Red“.
Ok… I have to mixed the color.

Here are a few news:

I hope that today is delivered my Ford Crown Vic… I am waiting for a call of the importeur.

The Federal Signal StreetHawk is ready, rebuild in the setup of the FDNY.
With very rare Meteor Traffic Clearing Lights, clear new domes, red filter lenses for the rotators and in the lower level all secondary lights are flashing. No takedowns and alleys.

I have seen on a picture, that in a FDNY-Crown Vic a Federal Signal Smart Siren Switch Box for the siren and Lightbar is built in the car. So I need a Smart Siren.

The color of the FDNY vehicles is the paint code „74 U Fire Red“. Ok, so I have to mix the color in a paint bucket.

But I don’t know who I can find the decals (stripes, letters („FDNY“ , „FSD“…) and the seal of the Fire Department for the front doors.

Attachments

• 043D0667-6679-4D0F-BC0E-5FD499EF7F67.png
    043D0667-6679-4D0F-BC0E-5FD499EF7F67.png
    527.3 KB · Views: 44
  • BBEA3804-DB7D-44F3-86BC-C5E5CB36F80C.png
    BBEA3804-DB7D-44F3-86BC-C5E5CB36F80C.png
    165.1 KB · Views: 42
  • 57CDE185-96BE-4498-8244-520A0E58A728.png
    57CDE185-96BE-4498-8244-520A0E58A728.png
    249.5 KB · Views: 42
So from what I remember of these, they had gray interiors with a FDNY PA300 and a federal switchbox along with a Motorola spectra with an A9 head. The light bar I actually had two meteor traffic clearing lights in the center. No deck lights. I believe they had grille lights and wig wags
Hello, and thank you very much for the information. Ok, so I have to find a Federal Signal PA 300 for my Crown Victoria FDNY-Project. I have found a thread here about the FDNY PA 300. This are very hard to find items. The difference between the FDNY-PA 300 and a normal PA 300 is the longer wail-tone at the beginning and no Hi-Lo, right? Maybe, I can use a older PA 300-model, the silver face model PA 300? It has also a longer wail-tone, but Hi-Lo. And the silver front - PA 300 was used by the FDNY in early years, but I am not sure.

The Federal Signal StreetHawk I have found in the same specifications like the FDNY, yes, with TWO Meteor Traffic Clearing Lights. You can see it at the picture above.

But I am looking for the correct switch-Box for the lightbar and the lights.

The Motorola Spectra was the two-way radio?

Last edited by a moderator:

kadetklapp

May 21, 2010
Indiana
The Federal Signal StreetHawk I have found in the same specifications like the FDNY, yes, with TWO Meteor Traffic Clearing Lights. You can see it at the picture above.

But I am looking for the correct switch-Box for the lightbar and the lights.

The Motorola Spectra was the two-way radio?
Yes the Spectra was a two-way radio, in this case in UHF spec. However, for your purposes you should have good luck finding at least a control head, microphone, and speaker on eBay, or perhaps a member here would be willing to ship to you. They are obsolete so pretty cheap to buy.

Yes the Spectra was a two-way radio, in this case in UHF spec. However, for your purposes you should have good luck finding at least a control head, microphone, and speaker on eBay, or perhaps a member here would be willing to ship to you. They are obsolete so pretty cheap to buy.
Ok, in order to build the vehicle inside as true to the original as possible, I would need the radio. Maybe I'll even find a Spectra - Radio that works. Do you know the correct model (with the correct / original control panel with buttons and the display)?

Update!
Here it is… my Federal Signal StreetHawk in the FDNY-Setup.
I love this Lightbar, especially the two TCLs. Great!!!!!!!
And I found a PA300 silver front. The green bulb was missing but I have new green bulbs found on eBay.
I was sure, that in a 2000er FDNY Fleet Service Division Ford Crown Victoria was used a PA300 in black (FDNY-Setup without Hi-Lo), but the silver face sirens were used in FDNY-Vehicles before the black fronts PA300 are used. So I have decided for this model.
And for the Switch Box SW300. Not sure, if it was originally in the Ford Crown Vics.

Attachments

• 413CD8BD-A66D-4233-BE9E-0A98BE8A5D64.jpeg
    413CD8BD-A66D-4233-BE9E-0A98BE8A5D64.jpeg
    128.4 KB · Views: 28
  • 379FFCFF-7C64-4FAF-9440-E2CF74DE8330.jpeg
    379FFCFF-7C64-4FAF-9440-E2CF74DE8330.jpeg
    119.8 KB · Views: 25
  • 57EAF8AF-1553-426A-92E0-5AFBC534A79B.jpeg
    57EAF8AF-1553-426A-92E0-5AFBC534A79B.jpeg
    136.6 KB · Views: 23
  • 1AF5D744-3545-48BA-BA9A-BCB59663AE76.jpeg
    1AF5D744-3545-48BA-BA9A-BCB59663AE76.jpeg
    142.6 KB · Views: 21
  • B97FAA04-6D29-4F99-8811-F69CB8DB3F24.jpeg
    B97FAA04-6D29-4F99-8811-F69CB8DB3F24.jpeg
    101.4 KB · Views: 22
  • B6EF89FC-FA81-47C9-AFC6-5373E68C2A3D.jpeg
    B6EF89FC-FA81-47C9-AFC6-5373E68C2A3D.jpeg
    123 KB · Views: 28

stansdds

May 25, 2010
U.S.A., Virginia
The Streethawk and Firehawk were really impressive lightbars in their day.

Reactions: 801
Great lightbar.
I found a video with a FDNY Streethawk there are the lower deck rear lights red-amber-amber-red.
Your lightbar is amber-red-red-amber.
Hello Mars Light, yes, I know this video. In this video the lightbar has red filters on both rotators. My research showed, that the most StreetHawks of the FDNY have the amber flashing lights on the outer sides, not in the middle of the lover deck. And the red filters are on the fast speed rotators inside. Outside there are the normal speed rotators in clear, without a red filter.

Mars Light

Jun 23, 2011
Leipzig, Germany
The FDNY and NYPD fleet services used what they found to bring back the vehicles on the streets.
I did some research for the correct filter configuration for FS Jetstreams on NYPD cars.
There were so many different variants that I think there was only one requirement: as long as it was white/clear and red...

The FDNY and NYPD fleet services used what they found to bring back the vehicles on the streets.
I did some research for the correct filter configuration for FS Jetstreams on NYPD cars.
There were so many different variants that I think there was only one requirement: as long as it was white/clear and red...
Yes, that is right!!! The NYPD and FDNY the do what they want. You notice it with the Federal Signal Beacon Ray 175-H too: some people say the tilted bulbs are amber/red, other say the tilted bulbs are red/red... or the NYPD SignalStat 374... with tilted bulbs or no tilted bulbs... or red/clear and not red/amber...

lotsofbars

Jul 20, 2010
NYC, New York
Yes, that is right!!! The NYPD and FDNY the do what they want. You notice it with the Federal Signal Beacon Ray 175-H too: some people say the tilted bulbs are amber/red, other say the tilted bulbs are red/red... or the NYPD SignalStat 374... with tilted bulbs or no tilted bulbs... or red/clear and not red/amber...
As far as I understand, I believe the majority of the 175-H had red in the tilted bulb holders, and Signal Stat 374s had tilted red/amber bulbs only when mounted as a single beacon, and were 4 horizontal red/white bulbs when mounted on cross bars and smaller applications, like scooters and such. I believe any exception to these rules was just as, many people have said already, when the shops tossed whatever they had into the lights to get them back on the road. I only own a horizontal 374 that's verified NYPD, and it has red/white bulbs under a clear dome. I was told it was used on a Cushman scooter in the 70s.

Hello,

now I can present my FDNY Ford Crown Victoria.

Please note that this is a replica. My car is not original from the FDNY. It cames original from the Charlotte County Sheriffs Department in Florida.

I tried to make the car as original as possible. I researched for a long time on the internet.

It is a Crown Victorie Police Interceptor,
these were used by the FDNY, Fleet Service Division / FSD or EMS Division.

The lightbar is a Federal Signal Street Hawk, with two traffic clearing lights in the center, all lower deck lights are flashing, like the originial FDNY-Street Hawk on this cars.

The siren is a Federal Signal PA300 with silver front. I know that the FDNY used PA300 with black front in the Ford Crown Victorias, but I needed the authentic FDNY long wail-ton. It's hard to find a black PA300 with this long wail tone, most PA300's for sale are recent and have the shortened wail tone. So I went with the silver PA 300. It definitely has the long tone typical of the FDNY siren. My PA 300 has an original green light bulb to illuminate the display. The silver PA300 are the predecessor model of the black PA300. The silver-fronted PA300s were definitely used by the FDNY, so it's possible that the FDNY Ford Crowm Victorias also had a silver-fronted PA300 installed.

Th elightbar switch box is a SW300.
I'm not entirely sure if this model was fitted to the FDNY Ford, but have read and researched it that way.

My Ford has 2 Federal Signal GH1 flashing lights in red in the front grille.

Strobe lights in the front headlights, strobe lights in the taillights and white reverse lights.
That's what I've seen in videos from New York.

My textile fabric for the seat covers is grey, the back seat has black leather. It was the only back seat I got, in very good condition. Since it was a sheriff's department vehicle, a plastic caged seat was previously installed.
I think the fabric originally used on the FDNY was a little lighter in gray or blue.

What I still need are the decals.
In Germany it is not allowed to have reflective foil on a car.
Therefore I need the correct color code of the film for non-reflective film. I have already found the right foil in matt, non-reflecting form with the correct and suitable color code from 3M.

I am very happy that I have such a car. A Ford Crown Victoria from the fire brigade is very rare in Germany. We have a lot of people here who have a Ford Crown or a Dodge Carger or a Chevrolet Caprice from the US police.

And my car is reminiscent of the terrible terrorist attacks of September 11th. It's been 21 years now...

Note my license plate...

Please enjoy the pictures...

and best regards from Germany,

Sven

Attachments

• ford 6.jpg
    ford 6.jpg
    16.1 KB · Views: 31
  • ford 8.jpg
    ford 8.jpg
    18.7 KB · Views: 30
  • ford 9.jpg
    ford 9.jpg
    24 KB · Views: 30
  • ford 10.jpg
    ford 10.jpg
    18.1 KB · Views: 28
  • ford 14.jpg
    ford 14.jpg
    23.5 KB · Views: 34
  • ford 15.jpg
    ford 15.jpg
    23.5 KB · Views: 35
  • ford 5.jpg
    ford 5.jpg
    23.2 KB · Views: 30
  • ford 4.jpg
    ford 4.jpg
    23 KB · Views: 29
  • ford 3.jpg
    ford 3.jpg
    20.7 KB · Views: 29
  • ford 13.jpg
    ford 13.jpg
    23.1 KB · Views: 29
  • ford 11.jpg
    ford 11.jpg
    16.7 KB · Views: 32
  • ford 12.jpg
    ford 12.jpg
    20.6 KB · Views: 31
  • ford 7.jpg
    ford 7.jpg
    25.4 KB · Views: 33
  • ford 2.jpg
    ford 2.jpg
    27 KB · Views: 29
  • ford 1.jpg
    ford 1.jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 32
Hello kitn1mcc,
yes, I have a radio, but I forgot the picture. Next I must rebuild it in my car.
It is a Motorola Astro Spectra with a A9 control box.
I hope that this model is the correct FDNY-Radio in this cars… I read that this Radio with a A9 control head was used in the FDNY-Ford Crowns.

Attachments

• DD7E4B0B-0F86-43A8-A73E-3C7BC5E269CE.png
    DD7E4B0B-0F86-43A8-A73E-3C7BC5E269CE.png
    901.8 KB · Views: 11
Reactions: kitn1mcc

Wailer

May 24, 2010
Canada
It's hard to find a black PA300 with this long wail tone, most PA300's for sale are recent and have the shortened wail tone.
I'm not sure what you mean by 'long wail tone'. The silver face PA300s have a slow rising wail tone. The first batch of black face PA300s (c. late 1980s) also have a slow rising wail tone. The wail rises slowly as it reaches the high note and then falls quickly.

Hello everybody…
here is my Crown Victoria, FDNY Fleet Service Division/FSD:
After hard work I can present it now:
In the last weeks I was on US-Car-Shows (emergency vehicles/police and fire cars), and everybody says to me: „great job, it looks original!“ I think, there is no other FDNY Crown Victoria in Germany (and other countries in Europe). I only know that in the south of Germany there is a FDNY Chevrolet Impala. And a FDNY Suburban.
I hope that all was rebuild as original as possible on my car. If you have other ideas, please write to me.
Electrical equipment: Federal Signal PA300 (silver front), Federal Signal SW300 Switch Box, Motorola Astro Spectra with A9 control head, a goose neck map light, Streamlight FireBox with power station, ShoMe outlet box.
StreetHawk, strobe lights in the taillights, the white rearlights and the front spotlights, grill lights (red PAR36 strobes with black rubber-body, Whelen SlimLighter.

Attachments

• 9C3B95F6-E652-4417-B4B1-FEB99B8B4282.jpeg
    9C3B95F6-E652-4417-B4B1-FEB99B8B4282.jpeg
    193.3 KB · Views: 22
  • D3FD84BB-C7B6-46A8-9A1F-A67B9443C0A6.jpeg
    D3FD84BB-C7B6-46A8-9A1F-A67B9443C0A6.jpeg
    136.4 KB · Views: 19
  • FB3D59AA-80C9-4D2A-A41D-631227958B7D.jpeg
    FB3D59AA-80C9-4D2A-A41D-631227958B7D.jpeg
    162.1 KB · Views: 21
  • 69FAAAA4-2AFA-4DC3-A2D8-7AD27A7DD992.jpeg
    69FAAAA4-2AFA-4DC3-A2D8-7AD27A7DD992.jpeg
    135.1 KB · Views: 18
  • 7F45B1B2-74D5-4041-8436-E54FD57D05E7.jpeg
    7F45B1B2-74D5-4041-8436-E54FD57D05E7.jpeg
    157.9 KB · Views: 18
  • 5CAC8384-3804-4EDB-AC22-B1197FE164BE.jpeg
    5CAC8384-3804-4EDB-AC22-B1197FE164BE.jpeg
    155.9 KB · Views: 17
  • 232B0C51-3367-4FD4-9390-060E73FB156C.jpeg
    232B0C51-3367-4FD4-9390-060E73FB156C.jpeg
    167.6 KB · Views: 17
  • 8F0A868F-8864-4AFD-9466-B3474F0BCE1E.jpeg
    8F0A868F-8864-4AFD-9466-B3474F0BCE1E.jpeg
    168.2 KB · Views: 17
  • 3ED125A6-718B-4398-9C67-B5D46DC8D9C4.jpeg
    3ED125A6-718B-4398-9C67-B5D46DC8D9C4.jpeg
    186.9 KB · Views: 18
  • 607B52A8-86C5-45A7-AD17-CFB1A3729F45.jpeg
    607B52A8-86C5-45A7-AD17-CFB1A3729F45.jpeg
    205.6 KB · Views: 19
  • E252222E-385D-42C4-962C-48B05366E2A4.jpeg
    E252222E-385D-42C4-962C-48B05366E2A4.jpeg
    198.7 KB · Views: 18
  • 15A60100-EEC0-4E65-A92D-F6EBACE028CF.jpeg
    15A60100-EEC0-4E65-A92D-F6EBACE028CF.jpeg
    192.2 KB · Views: 19
  • BFA85DC3-D7CB-4442-ACC8-A36612F2322F.jpeg
    BFA85DC3-D7CB-4442-ACC8-A36612F2322F.jpeg
    144.5 KB · Views: 17
  • 6A5B427D-8688-43F8-A07E-8809E8971924.jpeg
    6A5B427D-8688-43F8-A07E-8809E8971924.jpeg
    99.9 KB · Views: 16
  • 90113CD4-F69A-45E1-AB21-AE0EE6A8F5EB.jpeg
    90113CD4-F69A-45E1-AB21-AE0EE6A8F5EB.jpeg
    113.4 KB · Views: 22

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hilux01

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.