380R problem

58mackfiretruck

Sep 9, 2022
USA Texas
Removed 380R from my old truck and installed in my new one. Everything worked as it should in my old truck and now my siren makes weird noise and yet you activate the siren or horn. I have check all connections and bypassed the speaker wire that I ran. Any chance you know of anything? Could it be the inline filter is bad?

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
Are you able to pull things enough to run power from another source an directly connect a speaker?

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
I can. It will take a bit but can be done. I’ll give it a try tomorrow and see how it goes.
I am sometimes a bit of "go big or go home" trouble shooter, and tend to just bench test the equipment with to 100% rule out other vehicle variables. Check the grounds, shorts, speaker; easy stupid stuff.... but failing that I like to start with a "no vehicle variable" bench test.

I know in both vehicles I have SOS sirens in I had to add noise filters to the siren side, I guess they are sensitive. The dealer had a bunch on hand so it wasn't just me. They tested 100% on the bench, then back in a vehicle same distortion. Not sure what that is, I am also no a SOS guru by any means. I can snap a pic of my setup tomorrow at work, it is in a Durango and a lot of Durangos went into service at the same time in my area which may be why the dealer knew the problem right away and had noise filters pre-wired and ready.

58mackfiretruck

Sep 9, 2022
USA Texas
I am sometimes a bit of "go big or go home" trouble shooter, and tend to just bench test the equipment with to 100% rule out other vehicle variables. Check the grounds, shorts, speaker; easy stupid stuff.... but failing that I like to start with a "no vehicle variable" bench test.

I know in both vehicles I have SOS sirens in I had to add noise filters to the siren side, I guess they are sensitive. The dealer had a bunch on hand so it wasn't just me. They tested 100% on the bench, then back in a vehicle same distortion. Not sure what that is, I am also no a SOS guru by any means. I can snap a pic of my setup tomorrow at work, it is in a Durango and a lot of Durangos went into service at the same time in my area which may be why the dealer knew the problem right away and had noise filters pre-wired and ready.
If you would share some pics of your setup please that might help me out.

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
PXL_20220914_110638328.jpgPXL_20220914_110613130.jpg

I am pretty sure that is a noise filter on both speaker outputs

Last edited:

58mackfiretruck

Sep 9, 2022
USA Texas
I figured it out!! I had 2 wires fused at 15 amps in the wrong place. It was correct in my head which doesn't count! Thank you for the replies and the pictures.

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
I figured it out!! I had 2 wires fused at 15 amps in the wrong place. It was correct in my head which doesn't count! Thank you for the replies and the pictures.
Glad you figured it out and thanks for not leaving us hanging.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hilux01

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.