Galls exclusive "all halogen" mini edge 28" Model G5

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
Does anyone have a scan or pic of the ad from Galls for the "budget mini edge", part of the halogen edge line, similar to the edge clones in Australia and legit Woodway UK ones. It was 4 or 6 4x3 halogens with two front and two rear and also in the alley spot as an option all on one or two flashers. Lot's of wasted space, not even that cheap.

@TritonBoulder47 was the user that had it, any chance it's still floating around?

Here is a thread about one

Here is a thread with a video...I'd like to see the Galls page, it's a long shot.

@RANGER-SERVICES had the full bar.

Reactions: kitn1mcc

JPstealth

Nov 11, 2018
North jersey
Does anyone have a scan or pic of the ad from Galls for the "budget mini edge", part of the halogen edge line, similar to the edge clones in Australia and legit Woodway UK ones. It was 4 or 6 4x3 halogens with two front and two rear and also in the alley spot as an option all on one or two flashers. Lot's of wasted space, not even that cheap.

@TritonBoulder47 was the user that had it, any chance it's still floating around?

Here is a thread about one

Here is a thread with a video...I'd like to see the Galls page, it's a long shot.

@RANGER-SERVICES had the full bar.

Unfortunately, I do not have the advertisement or page but I did stumble across the light itself. I am in the process of restoring it but I have so many other projects this one has been put on hold. I managed to get the lens off that’s about it. Lol But you’re right there is a lot of room inside.

I too would love to see the original ad.​

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    110.8 KB · Views: 20

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio

Unfortunately, I do not have the advertisement or page but I did stumble across the light itself. I am in the process of restoring it but I have so many other projects this one has been put on hold. I managed to get the lens off that’s about it. Lol But you’re right there is a lot of room inside.

I too would love to see the original ad.​

That's a generation before Galls. That is the 1980s style edge, I didn't know they made one like this factory, but I suppose maybe

JPstealth

Nov 11, 2018
North jersey
That's a generation before Galls. That is the 1980s style edge, I didn't know they made one like this factory, but I suppose maybe
J. Perry apparently confirmed it through the original owner prior to me purchasing. Interesting flash patter too. Once I get it up and going I’ll post a video. Thinking purple lenses because… why not lol
Also, how can you tell? I am far from being well versed on Edges lol. I’m genuinely curious the difference.

I duno if this helps but the bottom tag reads 9004-SL

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
J. Perry apparently confirmed it through the original owner prior to me purchasing. Interesting flash patter too. Once I get it up and going I’ll post a video.

Also, how can you tell? I am far from being well versed on Edges lol. I’m genuinely curious the difference.

I duno if this helps but the bottom tag reads 9004-SL
I suppose it would be more correct to say this is not the Galls model I was referring to. Galls has been in business for over 100 years so they probably sold this generation of edge too. The alley brackets are interesting since the alleys mounted to the corner J tube strobes it looks like they uses metal standoffs instead. The bar looks factory, and Whelen had been making versions of their bars with pretty much all their components where ever they fit. I suppose this is why I would like to see the Galls catalog ad again, the one I remember was the one in the top video, the newer lenses and internals. I would love to see a Galls ad for the older version too.

So it would be more correct of me to say this isn't the model I was searching for from Galls or the catalog page. However I'd love to the the page for this one too.

The above thread runs through the internals used in different series.

Reactions: JPstealth

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
Possibly this one? From a 1994 Galls catalog.
Yes, this is one of them. Looks like old style lenses but the layout looks like the newer style from the video. That's one of the ads I remember, complete with the somewhat dubious and out of context "halogen v.s strobe" pros and cons info section. I also remember an ad with the same bar with an updated picture showing the new lens style. It would appear they offered this in the "j tube era" and into the "turbo tube" era. The internal mounts and lenses changed, but the idea remained the same; just halogen.

I guess we can document at least three types of these, there are probably more.

1- old J tube era mounts and rounded 4x3 lights with custom alley mounts due to lack of corner strobes (which provided mounting for for alley position). 4 lights across the front vs. 2 at the corners.
gallsold.jpg

2- Old lenses but lights at the corners in the config of the later model
galls.jpeg

3- The Config I remember, newer lenses and lights at the corners. Appears to be newer internals too, probably using the plastic "stand alone" alley mounts that don't require the corner tubes.
20201018_095505.jpg

Thanks everyone for expanding my info on these!

JPstealth

Nov 11, 2018
North jersey
Yes, this is one of them. Looks like old style lenses but the layout looks like the newer style from the video. That's one of the ads I remember, complete with the somewhat dubious and out of context "halogen v.s strobe" pros and cons info section. I also remember an ad with the same bar with an updated picture showing the new lens style. It would appear they offered this in the "j tube era" and into the "turbo tube" era. The internal mounts and lenses changed, but the idea remained the same; just halogen.

I guess we can document at least three types of these, there are probably more.

1- old J tube era mounts and rounded 4x3 lights with custom alley mounts due to lack of corner strobes (which provided mounting for for alley position). 4 lights across the front vs. 2 at the corners.
View attachment 239176

2- Old lenses but lights at the corners in the config of the later model
View attachment 239177

3- The Config I remember, newer lenses and lights at the corners. Appears to be newer internals too, probably using the plastic "stand alone" alley mounts that don't require the corner tubes.
View attachment 239178

Thanks everyone for expanding my info on these!
In case you're curious as to the flash pattern of mine with the 4 flashers front and rear, I have pasted a link to the video in YouTube. It seems to have two flasher units, one for the front 4 lights and a side light and another flasher unit controlling the rear 4 with the other side light. It is an "in-out" pattern with a side light set to go on when the outside lights flash. Each side is synced individually. My OCD is killing me, however, in sticking with the original pattern, I will leave it how it is... for now lol

Here is the video:

ur20v

Feb 3, 2017
Northern Virginia
I remember seeing halogen Edges in Galls as a kid in the '90s and saying "eeewww, why wouldn't you just buy the strobe version". I still had a lot to learn about money!

• Haha
Reactions: NVFD612

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
In case you're curious as to the flash pattern of mine with the 4 flashers front and rear, I have pasted a link to the video in YouTube. It seems to have two flasher units, one for the front 4 lights and a side light and another flasher unit controlling the rear 4 with the other side light. It is an "in-out" pattern with a side light set to go on when the outside lights flash. Each side is synced individually. My OCD is killing me, however, in sticking with the original pattern, I will leave it how it is... for now lol

Here is the video:

That pattern is similar to the new model, but side lights are out of synch in a different way on the newer one. Yours puts 3 on each, which if that had kept up the newer model would have been synched. But...... The side lights are out of synch in the newer model even with only 6 total lights because Whelen edge flashers could only handle 4 heads at that time so you had front and rear sharing a flasher a the side ones all alone on their own. That always bugged me too. It's interesting that even with more total lights they still had the side lights out of synch. This model looks like it makes more sense than the later ones as far as filling the bar though. The side lights having to be on brackets because the alley lights needed the corner strobes as mounts is really a cool feature. I wonder how many versions Galls actually sold? Thanks for posting the video. The out of synch side lights are a thing through all models it would seem.

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
I remember seeing halogen Edges in Galls as a kid in the '90s and saying "eeewww, why wouldn't you just buy the strobe version". I still had a lot to learn about money!
I dunno, even with having supposedly learned about money I still think the price was not lower enough to justify the deletion of the strobes. They were selling mini edges at $595, but they were on sale at one point in the "Fox Equipment" catalog for $449.99. With the money one of these halogen edges cost you could buy a much better rotator bar or took a big chunk out of a proper mini edge. I agree with "younger you". Why wouldn't you just buy strobe?

ur20v

Feb 3, 2017
Northern Virginia
That pattern is similar to the new model, but side lights are out of synch in a different way on the newer one. Yours puts 3 on each, which if that had kept up the newer model would have been synched. But...... The side lights are out of synch in the newer model even with only 6 total lights because Whelen edge flashers could only handle 4 heads at that time so you had front and rear sharing a flasher a the side ones all alone on their own. That always bugged me too. It's interesting that even with more total lights they still had the side lights out of synch. This model looks like it makes more sense than the later ones as far as filling the bar though. The side lights having to be on brackets because the alley lights needed the corner strobes as mounts is really a cool feature. I wonder how many versions Galls actually sold? Thanks for posting the video. The out of synch side lights are a thing through all models it would seem.

Out of synch isn't a bad thing for us humans and our monkey brains. If you have a pattern that's too repetitive we tend to begin to ignore it. When something breaks the cycle is when our attention focuses and asses the situation. That's exactly why you installer guys are bothered by out of sync patterns and mis-matched patterns - it offends your sense of order! You try to make your installs picture-perfect, and for good reason. I'm the same way when it comes to aftermarket installs on my customers' cars. But you need to make those flash patterns messy and less compatible - it gets more attention from those who need to be paying it the most!

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
Out of synch isn't a bad thing for us humans and our monkey brains. If you have a pattern that's too repetitive we tend to begin to ignore it. When something breaks the cycle is when our attention focuses and asses the situation. That's exactly why you installer guys are bothered by out of sync patterns and mis-matched patterns - it offends your sense of order! You try to make your installs picture-perfect, and for good reason. I'm the same way when it comes to aftermarket installs on my customers' cars. But you need to make those flash patterns messy and less compatible - it gets more attention from those who need to be paying it the most!
True enough, synch was more an analog of lights requiring a flasher as they were inherently steady burn. On top of the need to find patterns being built into us to help us hunt, escape and reason etc, the fact that lights have been synched by design for years makes it look wrong when they aren't. I mean we are fine with systems that have strobes, halogen rotators and flashers not synching the different styles. Then you get the same system made of all LEDs or made up of all the same type of light (4x3 halogens in this case) and suddenly being "out of phase" is the end of the world.

From a standpoint of what lights were chosen to be on what flasher it is interesting in this case. These bars didn't have the functionality to turn the pairs on one by one, so why were they grouped as they were? One could argue that asynchronous pairs to the front and rear would be helpful from a recognition standpoint. Edge bars often synched the corners on one supply then the center inboards on the other. The center strobes and corner strobes were out of synch in a lot of edge bars.

Regardless, these bars are interesting from a few standpoints. The choice of how to group the lights is just one more interesting "feature".

ur20v

Feb 3, 2017
Northern Virginia
It's buried behind a bunch of other Edges and 2100s right now, but I built a 52" (I think) Edge with nothing but halogens across the front in the spring. I was waiting to see if I could score a bunch of short clear lens sections for cheap to take photos of it and possibly use it as an "off road" light. Then I also considered ordering a flasher from Mountain Man, which I still might do... Also need to figure out what to do for end caps, etc.

Reactions: JohnMarcson

bpollard

Jun 13, 2010
USA, SC
From an effectiveness perspective, the halogen only version was pretty good. Particularly in red, strobes were good in broad daylight but not as bright as blue. in my opinion. The edge bars that combined strobes with halogen flashers that we were running back in those days seemed to provide the best of both worlds

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
From an effectiveness perspective, the halogen only version was pretty good. Particularly in red, strobes were good in broad daylight but not as bright as blue. in my opinion. The edge bars that combined strobes with halogen flashers that we were running back in those days seemed to provide the best of both worlds
You make a good point; it is worth noting (like you mentioned) that strobes of the day when these were produced were not necessarily great. They would be either double flash or the first generation of quad flash. So I would agree that comparing these to the strobes when these were made is a different comparison.

May 21, 2010
Elmira, ny
This topic is making me make a version of this but with the liberty platform using some 500 halogen heads, the only difference is mine would have actual steady burn alleys, but wig wag lights for front and rear.

Still debating how i wanna power it, might just go with an actual liberty board but only have the wires for takedowns and alleys only but just use the wires that does the flashing takedown portion with split wires i have out of my freedom bar. I have the frame and lenses but dont have the board (YET)

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
This topic is making me make a version of this but with the liberty platform using some 500 halogen heads, the only difference is mine would have actual steady burn alleys, but wig wag lights for front and rear.

Still debating how i wanna power it, might just go with an actual liberty board but only have the wires for takedowns and alleys only but just use the wires that does the flashing takedown portion with split wires i have out of my freedom bar. I have the frame and lenses but dont have the board (YET)
I'm probably going to make one of these from one of my GEN2 mini edges that needs new corner strobes. I really wanted a later one but the older ones look cool now. I'm going to have to make alley holders out of aluminum.

Reactions: EHFD_Tower_751

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hilux01

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.