400 Series Combination Information

Ess

Mar 14, 2023
Australia
Hello, I am a freelance 3d modeler from Australia and have been working on a Whelen Edge Ultra Freedom.
I've got most of the main LED lightheads made for it but would like to also include the option of the 400 serise LED/Halogen Combination Lighthead, but I am having trouble find refences I can use to make it.

I would apricate if anyone has pictuers or a video that they could share them, if not that is fine.

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
2000ish-2007ishcomboled.PNG

Reactions: Sparky_911

Ess

Mar 14, 2023
Australia
Ah, ok.
I've also notice that some half lense where available. Was there a clear one or did the just use it without a lense for the clear?

Attachments

• dscn9427.jpg
    dscn9427.jpg
    109.4 KB · Views: 1

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
Ah, ok.
I've also notice that some half lense where available. Was there a clear one or did the just use it without a lense for the clear?
Inside a lightbar the clear portion had no lens. These were used in 9M bars and similar edge offerings under clear outer lenses, or lenses colored the same as the LED. The LED portion generally went without a lens portion as did the halogen if it was under the same colored lens as the LED. The less filters the better as heat from the halogen or strobe became an issue on the filters. So essentially any half lenses you see were meant for mounting inside a lightbar that used the 400 as an inboard option. You would see strobe/LED, halogen/LED, and halogen/strobe. I may be remembering incorrectly but I think halogen/halogen was also available for inside lightbars.

Ess

Mar 14, 2023
Australia
9M and Edge, hmm.
So even though they are a 400 sersie light, they where never really offered on the Freedom?

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
9M and Edge, hmm.
So even though they are a 400 sersie light, they where never really offered on the Freedom?
The 400 "duplex" heads were actually more an Ultra Edge option than a 9m option. I forgot the Ultra edge became the Freedom, not the 9m. The freedom was a "super" led version of the 9m the Ultra Edge (and was called that at first). The led strobe combo duplex ultra edges leading up to the freedom would be where you would see these, there were a few duplex 400 options for the 9m, also in nfpa edges. The ultra was basically a wide edge aka a freedom with strobes by the end of the production. The freedom specifically refers to the all led version of the the ultra edge so these combos were not really an option in the freedom version.

Here is a 2003 catalog showing the Ultra Edge next to the early Freedom. Lots of dual strobe, halogen, and led split 400s in the Ultra, the Freedom is all LED. The Freedom was originally called the Edge Ultra Freedom.

ultrafrdm.PNGprodctchrt.PNG

2003.PNG
2002edge.PNG

Last edited:

Ess

Mar 14, 2023
Australia
Ah, okay. So if I understand this. They where more for the halogen/strobe 9M edge, not the LED Edge ultra freedom?

Reactions: TJW

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
Ah, okay. So if I understand this. They where more for the halogen/strobe 9M edge, not the LED Edge ultra freedom?
You could put the combo heads in both the 9M and the Ultra. Anytime you see filters on one it is generally from a lightbar. The Ultra actually had the most combo head factory options, but the mounts in the ultra and 9M are the same so really both bars allowed the combo 400s as you saw fit. You would find them usually as a traffic advisor, sometimes as alleys or takedowns, and rarely as other options. Essentially the split 400 was a product aimed at mounting in 9M and Ultra edge bars and not as much as a stand alone lighthead (it was available, not common). The 700 combo heads were seen in use as actual standalone lights occasionally.

Ess

Mar 14, 2023
Australia
Ah okay.
I have another quick question. (save's me making a new thread)
I have also been asked by a frined to make a Whelen 500 V.

The one that they is the just the warning one, part number 5v1* I belive. But everything I am finding is for the 5v3* the one that has the spot and puddle light.
Is the only diffrence that the 5v1 is missing the puddle light board and the white spot lights are now color?

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
Ah okay.
I have another quick question. (save's me making a new thread)
I have also been asked by a frined to make a Whelen 500 V.

The one that they is the just the warning one, part number 5v1* I belive. But everything I am finding is for the 5v3* the one that has the spot and puddle light.
Is the only diffrence that the 5v1 is missing the puddle light board and the white spot lights are now color?
Good question. I honestly don't know off hand. i can look it up in my documents

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hilux01

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.