Help IDing what's on my Jeep

Mike B

Jan 17, 2018
Southern Maryland
I'm new to this site. I'm restoring a 1953 Willys M38A1 Brush Truck and would like to put it back the way it looked in the picture I got from the VFD. I know it's a Federal Beacon, but what model?

Also would like to know what you guys think is above the speaker at the grille...is it a siren or light?

Thanks,

Mike B :)

Cropped picture JPEG.jpg

dmathieu

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 20, 2010
S.W. New Hampshire, USA
It is a 4 beam Federal series 17 Beacon Ray, either a 176, or 174, with the wrong dome on it.
Fire Balls, probably FB-2s, with rear of domes blacked out, on the fenders. Hard to say what that is on the front without a better picture

Reactions: southpaw

southpaw

May 7, 2015
South-West
Dan is spot on! If its a 174 the red tag will have "super" on it. The model number should be visible on the tag in a silver box. It will be stamped on. If the light works and moves back and forth, its a 174, if it revolves 360 its a 176.

Jarred J.

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
Shelbyville, TN
I there's s bp100 style speaker under whatever the chrome thing Is... There's a hint of red visible....

Mike B

Jan 17, 2018
Southern Maryland
The picture I have posted is the only picture I have at this time. It was found on the firehouse wall of Fame. I now own the Jeep, but it's missing the beacon and whatever was above the speaker.

The speaker is part on a Federal electronic Siren/PA...the controller is still hanging under the dash, missing the Microphone. I haven't tried to make it work yet...

Could the front item be a Mars 888. I'm having trouble matching the shape of the rear part of the bullet cover to anything. Although it does look a little like a Federal 66L in have on my 57 Chevy Engine...

Mike B

Jan 17, 2018
Southern Maryland
I know the parts are newer than the Jeep. From what I know so far it was a USN Jeep first, then about 1985 my local VFD got it and used it until 1995 (I'm still trying to find out if they actually built it as a brush truck or if they got it that way). They then passed it on to another local VFD that kept it until 2000 when they auctioned it off to the man I got it from.

So my hope is to take it back to the way it looks in the picture...1980's

Here's the way it looks today...IMG_20171214_161716085_HDR.jpg

shues

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
NW Indiana
I there's s bp100 style speaker under whatever the chrome thing Is... There's a hint of red visible....

I disagree. The speaker is not a BP100 style. Remember that the BP100 has its driver mounted from the front, inside of the "bell". On this speaker, the driver is mounted from the rear.

Jarred J.

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
Shelbyville, TN
Ok. ts 100 lol I knew it was 2 letters and a 100 . Just got the letter s wrong

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Safetylight5

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.