Duluth MN FD, new Rescue 1

CrownVic97

May 21, 2010
Hazen, ND
I vote they purchased an ex-Chicago Fire unit there ;)

CrownVic97

May 21, 2010
Hazen, ND
Reactions: tsquale and Tony P

coop359

Apr 16, 2012
USA Tennessee
I like 1 green light. Chicago suburbs use green lights but some have to many. Originally there was one green light. The newest CFD pumpers have a angled green light on the passenger side of the cab. They use 4 red leds above the headlights which is a change along with outboard blue LEDs on the light bars.

Reactions: tsquale

pdk9

May 26, 2010
New York & Florida
I believe Custom Fire makes Duluth’s rigs. I’m personally not a fan of ANY green for warning; I think it should be left strictly for an identification light on scene (ie command post). FDNY has it on their RAC vehicles, which I think is another acceptable use, since it uniquely identifies a certain vehicle on scene

Coming from NY, the outdated V&T law calls for VAS members to have green, but I don’t think most people, let alone people in NYS, knew what it meant aside from other first responders. I think most people associate Green with “Go” from a traffic light. Although the IL depts typically just have 1-2 front facing green lights, I’ve seen vehicles with green flashing to the rear which IMO is a horrible idea and has the reverse effect of slowing people down.

A few years ago, NYS rewrote the V&T laws to allow both red & blue to the rear of EVs, and I think they should’ve used that time as an opportunity to replace green VAS courtesy lighting with blue courtesy lighting for all FD and VAS vollies (since many EMS vollies are members of the rescue squad on their VFD/VFC anyways, and since blue is recognized as an emergency color)

Back on track lol, I think it’s a decent lighting package. It has lighting in all the right places, but I hate the rear setup....instead of having (8) 600 series, it should have (4) 900 series; I hate when people cram a bunch of smaller lights together instead of 1 larger lighthead.
I also think the 600s on the grill are a waste right behind the rotoray. Side setup is ok, but I think it looks awkward having 500 series on top of the wheel well and in front of it (instead of 1 in front and 1 in back, or just 1 over wheel well)

Last edited:

May 27, 2010
Memphis, TN
I like 1 green light. Chicago suburbs use green lights but some have to many. Originally there was one green light. The newest CFD pumpers have a angled green light on the passenger side of the cab. They use 4 red leds above the headlights which is a change along with outboard blue LEDs on the light bars.
Do you know why?

irishff

May 24, 2010
SW Missouri
According to?

Heres your answer. http://www.alpinemodels.com/articles/article/2792228/81526.htm it is also why Chicago fire trucks are black over red. Originally they were all red. The boat fleet was also all red until the smokestacks of the original fire boats began to turn black at the top. Instead of continual cleaning and repainting of the smoke stacks on the boats, they just painted the top half of the trucks to match the boats.

Reactions: Radio611

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bassslogic

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.