FrankenSkyBolt

May 21, 2010
Western Montana
Whenever I see one of these gems, my natural curiosity leads to me wonder what horrible fate befell the original innards to deserve this type of desecration. While necessity is the mother of invention, what really happened to the original wonderful spring secured lamp holders, the piercing PAR 36's and the lovely hum of a Mars motor? Perhaps in the interest of weight or energy efficiency they were discarded unceremoniously, or someone's 10 year old kid needed to produce a science project at the last minute and crafted this concoction with parts at hand. Oh well, I guess I should be grateful the base and what may be an original dome (albeit pretty beat up) survived the Grim Reaper's wrath. R.I.P.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Fi...715092?hash=item1a4f7c97d4:g:ZVMAAOSw8StbAEkM

Reactions: Tony P

CrownVic97

May 21, 2010
Hazen, ND
Wow...that seller is a tool. Should almost message them to tell them they're insane....

Skulldigger

Aug 23, 2015
Georgia / USA
I sent him a message to see if he knows what he has. Looks like an antique dealer and he has 100% satisfaction so he is not in the business of ripping people off. Probably has no clue.

cmb56

May 22, 2010
Norrköping, Sweden
The base is from the early SW-2 but the internals is with a halogen rotator.
The mounting plate for the rotator seems not to have any hole for the shaft to the sealed beam light head and it look factory made.
I am thinking that the internals might be from an early SW-1 and mounted in an old housing.
Only a guess.
In any case not worth nearly what he ask for it.

Michael

cmb56

May 22, 2010
Norrköping, Sweden
By the way, I do not know when Mars started to manufacture the SW-1 but it might be before they downsiezed the base and that can make this a genuine Mars SW-1 but early.
If this might be so I am tinking that they took what they had to work with and the series was probably to low to make a new name tag.
It look a little to professional made, to my eyes, to be home made.

Michael

cmb56

May 22, 2010
Norrköping, Sweden
I have looked little more closely and the hole for the shaft is there and the cables for the rotator is routed there.
It is difficult to say without to look closely in real to decide if this light is a genuin SW-1 or not.

Michael

Skulldigger

Aug 23, 2015
Georgia / USA
Yea, when you see someone with 100% positive feedback, you have to figure their not in the business of ripping people off. Besides folks on this site, what ordinary antiques guy would know the difference..... I would like to know if I had something incorrect for sale. Imagine if someone bought it and then realized what it was. He would be accused of fraud and get negative comments hurting his business.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
arnold gonzalez

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.