SmartLogic Flasher

rjk512

Jun 16, 2014
CT
Anyone have any experience with it?

I noticed it on the Whelen website and have been messing with the software.

Seems like a really wild product seeing as how simple most LED flashers are, just curious if anyone has used it or has any idea when it will be available.

unlisted

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 20, 2010
NA
Hmm this sounds interesting. With that model # I was able to dig up a whelen pdf with some limited info.. see screenshot. Screenshot_20171027-013918.png

rjk512

Jun 16, 2014
CT

Software is on their website under the "Software Downloads" section where you find the WeCan and CenCom Software and what not.

The software itself is pretty neat and seems to have lots of capabilities. Basically what I take from all of this is that they took the idea of a ULF44 type flasher and added the computer-programmable capability that you see with the WeCan and CenCom products and what not.

From what I understand, there are 8 inputs or "modes" which represent trigger signals from a switch/controller or other circuit (makes me think of possibilities such as brake lights, parking lights, flood modes, etc) and 8 outputs which are meant to go directly to the lights, and each output is individually programmed based on what you want it to do in each mode.

The above pics/info are all I've seen - the only other picture I've seen is from a DOT catalog that essentially shows the flasher and how it is contained in what looks like a weatherproof junction box.

The software basically gives away everything the flasher which is capable of, which in my opinion is a lot, but I'm really curious as to how it'll be priced.

unlisted

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 20, 2010
NA
I was bored today so I contacted whelen about this flasher.

$249.00 list price. Wonder what the selling price will be..

I've attached the pdf file they sent me on the flasher as well.

I want one.. maybe two.

Attachments

• 14a90.pdf
    179.4 KB · Views: 120

TACKLEBERRY

Sep 20, 2010
Norton, MA
I like what I'm seeing with this. I wish this was available 3-4 years ago when I wanted just a little bit more out of my ULF44's; specifically a 3rd pattern and cruise inputs.

But with more and more departments/agencies wanting complete vehicle sync and systems like bluePRINT, CanTrol, and Carbide really picking up steam in the market place; I think Whelen missed the mark with this product. They should have invested the resources into making the software changes to Sapphire so the WeCan 16-Output Expansion Module would work with the Sapphire. I'm seeing a lot of a departments/agencies who want the features of a bluePRINT/Carbide/CanTrol but can't justify the costs of replacing a <4 year old Sapphire system. They already have the WeCan lightbars with their Sapphires. I don't think it's a hardware limitation inside the Sapphire because it's just a WeCan port module.

As an installer and fulltime LEO, I think making the WeCan Expansion Module work with the Sapphire would have been the smarter marketing move.

Oct 20, 2010
Rehoboth, MA
It could even be used for custom arrow patterns. I've got a couple different patterns just by playing with the phase and delay settings.

NFD Captain

Mar 21, 2017
Connecticut
I was bored today so I contacted whelen about this flasher.

$249.00 list price. Wonder what the selling price will be..

I've attached the pdf file they sent me on the flasher as well.

I want one.. maybe two.

Thank you for providing this pdf file. I was upset that it wasn't available on Whelen's website.
As to purchasing one of these units, I spoke with someone at Strobesnmore.com and they said they can order one through Whelen as a special order item (not returnable) for around $162.99. I will most likely be purchasing one myself, as this product seems to me as a nice small affordable version of a Carbide when it comes to light programmability.

TACKLEBERRY

Sep 20, 2010
Norton, MA
The SmartLogic makes sense for departments/POVs who don't need a siren amplifier. With all the collected research data which shows slower patterns while parked and full synchronization is safer, this would work as a "budget Carbide/CanTrol" for DOT, Tow Truck, or Public Works. But my big gripe with that is Whelen should have added a WECAN port on it to program and sync a WECAN lightbar with it.

Doyle257

Jan 13, 2015
Cheektowaga, NY
Has their been ANY developments on this product? For some reason I'm dying to rip apart my setup and install this thing!!
I cant seem to find anyone selling it...this could be interesting for one of my custom builds!

rescue567

Dec 11, 2011
Plains Pa.
I cant seem to find anyone selling it...this could be interesting for one of my custom builds!
Just got a price on it from StrobesnMore. Price of 161.99 plus shipping. It is a special order item through them But they would be glad to order it in. I can see one or two in my near future.....

Kurt12520

May 2, 2018
Cornwall-on-Hudson, NY
Has anyone purchased/installed the SmartLogic Flasher?
Will this help achieve what I am looking to do without purchasing a BluePrint system
I have 8 forward facing SoundOff Signal mPower TriColor lights with 2 SoundOff under mirror intersectors TriColor that I want to have control over individually for lower perimeter flood, cruise mode red only, flash red only, and the ability to change flash patterns.

got_yogurt

May 21, 2010
BC, Canada
Should be able to do that I imagine. Although I’ve found the cruise modes from whelen flashers don’t work with sound off products so I would keep that in mind. Everything else should work though

Reactions: Kurt12520

eclipse175

Aug 12, 2013
Northeast
I have this installed controlling a number of red IONs and two white ions. The 8 inputs are great and easily controlled with my HHS2200.

I have a low power input, a park kill to slow the patterns down (park kill shuts off my whites), cruise function and take down for the white ions. This is computer programmable. Changing flash patterns requires a PC however you could set different inputs to different patterns.

Very cool product. Well worth the price point!

Reactions: Kurt12520

Smoked

Oct 29, 2017
Pa
Can you do different front rear patterns with this or will it require two like the ULF 44, can it do both reduced night brightness as well as cruise or is it a one or the other like ULF44?.

THX

NFD Captain

Mar 21, 2017
Connecticut
Can you do different front rear patterns with this or will it require two like the ULF 44, can it do both reduced night brightness as well as cruise or is it a one or the other like ULF44?.

THX

Yes, you can set different patterns and separate front or rear with several patterns. Cruise mode is also a function. This is fully programmable with 8 inputs (8 different lighting modes) and 8 outputs. If you look at the above comments, you will see more information.

Smoked

Oct 29, 2017
Pa
I have this installed controlling a number of red IONs and two white ions. The 8 inputs are great and easily controlled with my HHS2200.

I have a low power input, a park kill to slow the patterns down (park kill shuts off my whites), cruise function and take down for the white ions. This is computer programmable. Changing flash patterns requires a PC however you could set different inputs to different patterns.

Very cool product. Well worth the price point!
Eclipse would you have a video by chance of your vehicle and it's modes ,i am really thinking of biting the bullet of ditching the ULF44's for something more versatile ,there is just so little out on this thing ?

THX

eclipse175

Aug 12, 2013
Northeast
Sorry no video. The vehicle can’t be posted online.

I suggest downloading the software. I had a front mode, rear mode, pattern override for when the vehicle was in park, low power and cruise. The possibilities are endless. Download the programmer to see if you can accomplish what you’re looking for.

You won’t be disappointed over a ULF44

carguy411

Oct 25, 2011
ny
Has anyone else used the flasher or seen videos on it
I was trying to figure out a flasher for my 2019 Durango rear led track light flash.
Seems this can do a lot more

Smoked

Oct 29, 2017
Pa
I am in the process of building a SL Flash system ,these things are completely off the hook functional ,they are the "poor mans carbide" !
Being able to have 2 phases and 8 different flashing configurations at the flip of a switch,as well as custom cruise , brake cut,synch and hi/lo(I am adding the LCPHOTO for automatic night and day setups)from a flasher is monumental ,the one caveat is cheap lights don't work with it ,use either Whelen or Soundoff no problem but anything else wont work ,with the software dowloaded from the whelen site and playing with it ,it's almost a light mixer by starting with a standard pattern and adjusting phases and delays you can just about build a completely unique flash pattern into your vehicle ,i am building mine with a a PCCS9RW,PCCS8R,& PCCS10W to control everything ,it's going to be matched with the Pioneer flasher,all my lights a either V 3,V 23 or Trio,so the pioneers will flash as well as steady burn the high beams on the V ,with these two flashers and some serious l9ving with a soldering iron ,it's going to be a nice versatile & functional system ,i will be building it sometime towards the end of October,right now it looks like Whelen exploded into my spare bedroom ,Whelen everywhere . For the difference in price between two ULf44 and the SL there is no question ,the $161.99 cant be better spent,especially on a new vehicle install,build it once build it right !

carguy411

Oct 25, 2011
ny
That’s great thanks. I’m want to flash the factory ring led lights of the vehicle so I hope that’s not an issue with the unit.
I downloaded the software and messed around quickly with it.
I was thinking of interrupting each wire to the led ring lights on the rear of the truck so I would have left right and center leds
Those each would be on a seperate output.
And maybe even steady burn the hideaways and sync those as well

And prob take the vechicle side of the those and use as an input even thought I would prob need just one but Incase the truck needs to see a load on the line

I would set One input to steady burn for the parking lights then Flash pattern overrides that

Only thing was I wanted them to steady burn when I hit the breaks and then back to flash when i release but I think that means even when the led parking lights are off and I hit breaks they will come on which I don’t want. This seems to be my only issue unless there is something that can be programmed and I missed it

What do you think ?

Smoked

Oct 29, 2017
Pa
There are 5 activating inputs,you can have each one set with different flash configurations ,just by setting a switch to a different input ,so thats 5 completely diferent flashing and or steady burn profiles ,you set the physical light to steady burn (Ie hideaways ) and flash pattern is set by what input you activate ,at the far right of the screen you will have pattern override you can set that to brake alert override,,that will temporarily stop your lights when you hit the brakes .also if you play with the configurations of flashing and delays and such ,on the center towards the left above the pattern area press that and the display will simulate what you program ! Each "channel" can do five amps meaning if we were talking like an ion( average reference peak is 1 amp so you can have 16 lights front and 16 to rear if you were dressing the whole truck or for you 32 lights to the rear ,just remember to put a resistor on those HAWS so no hyper flash !

GranPrix

May 23, 2010
FL
Would I be able to use the Logic with a Sapphire? I have a slicktop with a Sapphire but I would like to use the Logic for multiple cruise lights and sync all L and R sides

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hilux01

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.