Another Whelen Mini Edge wiring question

Shadow-D

Jul 3, 2010
Adirondacks, NY
Hey everyone, it's been a LOOOOONG time since I've been on here but I'm still collecting and restoring light bars.

Recently I acquired a Whelen Mini Edge 4 head bar that I'm in the process of restoring and I came across something that I have not been able to figure out after searching here and Google. On the power supply input harness I have 4 wires but only 2 are used (12VDC+ and 12VDC-) both black with the 15A fuse on the 12VDC+. The 2 other wires that are not used are Green and Violet. What are these used for, pattern changing / syncing?

Thanks
D

Attachments

• MiniEdgeQuestion.jpg
    MiniEdgeQuestion.jpg
    166.2 KB · Views: 17

billforbush

Jun 10, 2010
Northern Michigan
Hey everyone, it's been a LOOOOONG time since I've been on here but I'm still collecting and restoring light bars.

Recently I acquired a Whelen Mini Edge 4 head bar that I'm in the process of restoring and I came across something that I have not been able to figure out after searching here and Google. On the power supply input harness I have 4 wires but only 2 are used (12VDC+ and 12VDC-) both black with the 15A fuse on the 12VDC+. The 2 other wires that are not used are Green and Violet. What are these used for, pattern changing / syncing?

Thanks
D
Violet is low power, cant remember what green is for, but apply 12+ to find out.

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
The colors (besides black and violet) were to trigger pairs of strobes.

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
Ok now I'm confused... Maybe a lack of sleep causing that... lol
I could not see the pic well enough on my mobile device. That's an older supply, let me go check mine and get you a better layout.

Reactions: Shadow-D

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
Ok... starting over.... The wire with the fuse in it (also black) is 12v power. The other wire that is not violet or green is ground (it's either gray or brown or black). The Green is a Control wire, there is usually a Blue Control wire in between the violet and green, that is the second pair of strobes trigger. The violet is usually low power. I attached a file of the standard one I have. It is possible that yours doesn't have the blue control wire I guess....

Attachments

• PS.jpg
    PS.jpg
    145.6 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:

Shadow-D

Jul 3, 2010
Adirondacks, NY
Ok looking at both pictures, my supply is a little different than yours.
Between the 2,.....
Violet is same on both
Green on yours is an empty spot on mine
Blue on yours is Green on mine
and there is one more spot that is empty on both of ours.

I did put 12VDC+ on both wires with no results so I'm not sure what they were for or if they are even active. I plan to replace the power harness once I get new plugs from my electronics shop in the next couple of weeks and I also plan to add the extra wires to my new harness so that when I replace the power supply to a six head supply, maybe they will be usable.
Thank you John...

D

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
Ok looking at both pictures, my supply is a little different than yours.
Between the 2,.....
Violet is same on both
Green on yours is an empty spot on mine
Blue on yours is Green on mine
and there is one more spot that is empty on both of ours.

I did put 12VDC+ on both wires with no results so I'm not sure what they were for or if they are even active. I plan to replace the power harness once I get new plugs from my electronics shop in the next couple of weeks and I also plan to add the extra wires to my new harness so that when I replace the power supply to a six head supply, maybe they will be usable.
Thank you John...

D

Let us know how it turns out, sorry I couldn't be of more help.

Reactions: Shadow-D

Shadow-D

Jul 3, 2010
Adirondacks, NY
So I finally got to building the wiring harness and tested it out today. Turns out that the Green wire kills the front strobes. Blue wire still doesn't do anything.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hilux01

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.