Xmas came early for me apparently

Jun 18, 2013
PA
Found this on FB marketplace.... again.. It's currently sitting in the Mrs. sewing room so shhhhhhhh! (she thought she won that battle!)

Exceptionally clean on the inside 24X, all works except for 1 bulb out. Long power cord, probably 12+ feet in length. I added a set of feet that I also just happened to get from Marketplace, not sure if they will stay with this bar or not.

Domes are clean but rough, handling and scratches all over the place the guy selling it obviously didn't give a rats a**.

24X4.jpg

24X3.jpg

24X2.jpg

24X1.jpg

Wailer

May 24, 2010
Canada
I like the AeroTwin more than the AeroDynic. The rotating sealed beams have a nicer 'flash' effect than stationary bulbs with rotating parabolic reflectors.

Reactions: stansdds

stansdds

May 25, 2010
U.S.A., Virginia
I like the AeroTwin more than the AeroDynic. The rotating sealed beams have a nicer 'flash' effect than stationary bulbs with rotating parabolic reflectors.
I agree! When Federal designed the Aerodynic, they put the rotating lights in the spots nearest to the speaker and the stationary lights at the outer ends of the bar. This arrangement blocks the rotating lights when viewed from the side and extreme angles of the vehicle. Rotating lights at the ends of the bar provide good coverage from all angles. The AeroTwin put the lighting effectiveness of the TwinSonic into a far more aerodynamic package.

Jun 18, 2013
PA
I always was a fan of the Aero Twin. Attached is my favorite one, also in my collection. Yours looks great .
The elusive shorty.

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
I agree! When Federal designed the Aerodynic, they put the rotating lights in the spots nearest to the speaker and the stationary lights at the outer ends of the bar. This arrangement blocks the rotating lights when viewed from the side and extreme angles of the vehicle. Rotating lights at the ends of the bar provide good coverage from all angles. The AeroTwin put the lighting effectiveness of the TwinSonic into a far more aerodynamic package.
While the aerodynic was very innovative with the synchronized gear-driven reflectors it worked best in a model with no "auxiliary" lights like flashers, takedowns or alleys. This flaw made the bar less useful for police and more useful in cases where the "end options" could be omitted. Once you committed to all rotating reflectors the bar got really interesting, and effective 360 especially at the corners. Numerous patterns could be setup and there was a lot of room to make a very effective bar.

Until center options replacing the speaker became a thing these bars never lived up to their potential for vehicles needing options besides rotators. The center takedowns and (LAPD shop supplied) external alleys were the only was these bars worked well for police. I loved these bars at max length on fire/ems vehicles not requiring any of the end stationary options.

The thing I always found interesting was "taking a step backwards" in design and putting twinsonic guts into the aerodynic housing made a very different but also effective bar. NYPD found a really simple setup and it lasted for years. Depending on the application you could argue that the design was superior in some cases. While length was limited this model really cut the bar back to the basics needed to operate and removed the interesting but complicated gear system.

Federal Signal would continue putting "different guts" into old housings for years to the point that the aerodynic series had an LED version. The ability to customize lens combos in a large footprint bar was winning setup for years. That said, every time I see an aerotwin posted I watch the video multiple times to see what combination of features, lens color and bulb color are in use; it never fails to interest me.

Enjoy your early Xmas.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.