Aerodynic 24EAH A1F

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
I have acquired a working aerodynic. It could use some TLC but the gears seem tight, the motor runs, the rotators all turn and the end lamps light up (all steady burn). It has the mirrors on the speaker housing to help offset the alleys blocking the sides. I am not sure why the front and back end lamps are steady burn and red front and rear, perhaps a flasher was deleted. The wiring looks stock aside from the fact that I think the flasher was deleted and the end lights made steady burn. 24EAH means rotating halogen (upgraded) lights with end lamps and alley lights and A1F should mean front and rear flashers.

Take a look, discuss, and if anyone wants to give me some theories or background info..... or a good home for it, the poor thing isn't fitting in with the Whelen gang here....

If anyone has a close up picture of how the flashers were wired I'd love to see it, I have the flasher and plug.

aerotop.jpg
aeroon2a.jpg
aeroon.jpg

aeroon2.jpg
aeroside.jpgaerosidedomes.jpgdomes23.jpgtag2.jpgclosetag.jpg
wires2.jpgwires.jpg

So I suppose the goal is to restore it to this
should.jpg

Last edited:
Jun 18, 2013
PA
Early generation AeroDynic.. full speaker grille, unpainted frame. Very close to 1st Gen as it has the newer style plastic par36 lamp holders. But probably right on the cuff of that switch over.

Series A1F the F in this instance does not mean flasher.. its just a revision history so in this case it was an A1 revision of the original bar, with F being the series. A1G and A1H I believe are some of the last revisions.. going by memory.

Flashers could be optioned for this bar, but not all of them had them. Many would run a flasher elsewhere in the vehicle like a heavy duty one.

To mount a flasher to this, is relatively simple. Yellow and Blue wires on the harness are you endlamps.. internally white with yellow stripe, and white with blue stripe goto the bulbs. Get a meter out to confirm how this is wired. You only need to connect 1 power lead into the flasher (X), be it Yellow or Blue, and then hook the bulbs up to the (L) and (P) typically 2 bulbs per lead. Then just mount the U bracket to the plate like you show.

wiring harness.jpg

The above image is from a T optioned bar, however the flasher hookup is the same. It is using the Blue lead in this case as the power lead.

Cleaned up that should present quite nicely,

Last edited:
Reactions: stansdds

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
Early generation AeroDynic.. full speaker grille, unpainted frame. Very close to 1st Gen as it has the newer style plastic par36 lamp holders. But probably right on the cuff of that switch over.

Series A1F the F in this instance does not mean flasher.. its just a revision history so in this case it was an A1 revision of the original bar, with F being the series. A1G and A1H I believe are some of the last revisions.. going by memory.

Flashers could be optioned for this bar, but not all of them had them. Many would run a flasher elsewhere in the vehicle like a heavy duty one.

To mount a flasher to this, is relatively simple. Yellow and Blue wires on the harness are you endlamps.. internally white with yellow stripe, and white with blue stripe goto the bulbs. Get a meter out to confirm how this is wired. You only need to connect 1 power lead into the flasher (X), be it Yellow or Blue, and then hook the bulbs up to the (L) and (P) typically 2 bulbs per lead. Then just mount the U bracket to the plate like you show.

View attachment 234942

The above image is from a T optioned bar, however the flasher hookup is the same. It is using the Blue lead in this case as the power lead.

Cleaned up that should present quite nicely,
Interesting, they might have been using an external flasher because the left front and rear were grouped together and the right front and rear grouped together when I got it (I could easily swap it to group front and rear or add a flasher). The vehicle it came off had grill flashers, so maybe they were all hooked to one flasher externally. I'm not an expert in aerodynics, I appreciate the help. I do like the ability to make patterns by adjusting the gears. I'm not sure if I'm going to polish up the domes and keep it or sell it, but I hate shipping lightbars, especially ones with larger domes like this.

Jun 18, 2013
PA
Interesting, they might have been using an external flasher because the left front and rear were grouped together and the right front and rear grouped together when I got it (I swapped it to group front and rear). The vehicle it came off had grill flashers, so maybe they were all hooked to one flasher externally. I'm not an expert in aerodynics, I appreciate the help. I do like the ability to make patterns by adjusting the gears. I'm not sure if I'm going to polish up the domes and keep it or sell it, but I hate shipping lightbars, especially ones with larger domes like this.

Shameless plug.. lol just about everything you will need to know about the model 24 AeroDynic.

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio

Shameless plug.. lol just about everything you will need to know about the model 24 AeroDynic.
Perfect. In all my years collecting I think this is my first intact aerodynic.

@Stampeed Valkyrie beat me to it that the speaker grill is the giveaway that it’s an early AD. It was the Michigan State Police testing that discovered the extra speaker grill openings were causing an air dam and hindering aerodynamic efficiency. By eliminating the center 6 grouping on the top 2 rows, air was forced over the bar more efficiently.

Jun 18, 2013
PA
Interesting I did not know that about the Aero Grille, I just learned something new.

Reactions: JohnMarcson

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
The bar came from a small town police department that occasionally ran traffic on a state route (speed trap). It would appear the theories about the external flasher were correct. I took a look at the control "box" from the vehicle. It looks like it was wired (left to right) Master, Left Alley, Right Alley, Rotators, Flashers. The flasher switch went to connections for a can flasher that probably flashed all 4 lightbar flashers front and rear Left against right (they were grouped left and right in the bar). The switch condition makes it clear the alleys were left off most of the time and the Flashers and rotators were left on and the master utilized. The front unity pillar spot light was the front facing illumination, it was switched on the handle like most setups.

PXL_20220215_034822790.jpg

Also I had an offer on this siren and I was supposed to take the switches off it to send it, I haven't done that yet, sorry.

I'm told the car was an odd tan color and probably a smaller Plymouth like a Volare. It reminded the person of this pic, although this isn't the actual car.
PD.JPG

Jun 18, 2013
PA
Everytime I see one of these cars it reminds me of my late Grandmothers Dodge Aspen.. old lady smell, never ending box of tissues.. and a candy dish.. lol

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.