Need help - Dietz Omni-Chief Lightbar.

Highlander

Mar 10, 2012
Newfoundland, Canada
I recently purchased a Dietz Omni-Chief lightbar that I hope to restore. The problem I have is that the belts that operate the lights are totally shot, beyond repair.

Anyone have any ideas where I can get replacements?

Torpedo

May 9, 2012
USA Fl
There's a fairly recent thread/solution on this. (Zapp, any help?) The member was able to fabricate belts using vacuum hose.

Zapp Brannigan

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 23, 2010
Torpedo said:
There's a fairly recent thread/solution on this. (Zapp, any help?) The member was able to fabricate belts using vacuum hose.

Torpedo said:
DOH ! ^^^^ :duh: :duh:
Thanks !

That-Was-Easy-Button.png

Nice ingenuity on the makeshift belt too! :thumbsup:

Good luck with your restore!

chief1562

Mar 18, 2011
Slaterville/NY
Wonder what the omni would look like if one of the lights was running in the opposite direction.

But that was one nice bar and fix.

Jun 18, 2013
PA
The vacuum tubing trick is definitely an ingenious idea. I must havemissed the update where he got the rotators spinning again.

I know of 3 of these bars that could use this trick, I will pass it on the the interested parties to get them running again.

Highlander

Mar 10, 2012
Newfoundland, Canada
Thanks for the help, guys. The info on the vacuum belt looks like a winner.

I don't know how far this restro is going to go. I bought the bar from a guy that had gotten it to put on his snowplow. It had originally been on an RCMP vehicle. He THREW AWAY the red and blue lenses, the chrome center piece and the speaker; and had a long amber lens made up to fit. The plastic lens is actually a pretty good job, done at a local glass company. I may have to stick with that, as parts for these bars seem scarcer then hens teeth. Just have to see how it goes.

My biggest concern was the belts, and you guy's really helped me with that.

Many thanks.

stansdds

May 25, 2010
U.S.A., Virginia
Finding correct lenses and speaker cover is going to be a real task. Really sad that the originals were thrown away.

Crownfire

Jun 23, 2011
USA CA
There is a pair of amber Dietz omni chief lenses on eBay right now. Appear NOS. A little pricey, but may be worth it to you.

Search "Dietz omni" and it will be the only result.

Highlander

Mar 10, 2012
Newfoundland, Canada
Crownfire said:
There is a pair of amber Dietz omni chief lenses on eBay right now. Appear NOS. A little pricey, but may be worth it to you.
Search "Dietz omni" and it will be the only result.

Checked it out, thanks.

I'm not adverse to spending the money for these lenses; not having the center section is a consideration though. Be a pity to get the lenses but not able to get the center section.

Still, I have to consider them.

Wailer

May 24, 2010
Canada
Highlander said:
It had originally been on an RCMP vehicle.

I remember seeing Omni Chiefs on RCMP patrol cars in the late 1970s and early 1980s. Where I live they were red on both sides. Blue didn't come along until 1987, but in some provinces the bars were red and blue before then.

Tony P

Sep 13, 2015
Midwest, USA
Would be really nice to have the ability to view that link, anybody else having problems viewing it?
When the site switched from vBulletin to Xenforo for forum software, some of the links "died". If you google the following "site:elightbars.org texttexttext" with the texttexttext replaced by the title of the thread (the end of the dead link typically) you will usually be able to find it. We are also having technical difficulties with the site host at this time furthering issues.

Here it is: https://elightbars.org/forums/threads/what-will-10-buy-you-video-added.51045/#post-461287

black94ta

Nov 22, 2020
Cambria, NY
When the site switched from vBulletin to Xenforo for forum software, some of the links "died". If you google the following "site:elightbars.org texttexttext" with the texttexttext replaced by the title of the thread (the end of the dead link typically) you will usually be able to find it. We are also having technical difficulties with the site host at this time furthering issues.

Here it is: https://elightbars.org/forums/threads/what-will-10-buy-you-video-added.51045/#post-461287
Thank you much!!!

Reactions: Tony P

Northernlights

Aug 6, 2018
Maine
I recently purchased a Dietz Omni-Chief lightbar that I hope to restore. The problem I have is that the belts that operate the lights are totally shot, beyond repair.

Anyone have any ideas where I can get replacements?
Did you have any luck finding belts? I just got the same bar at a yard sale with same problem

Jul 14, 2014
North Central US
Somewhere in one of these threads on the Dietz Omni-Chief I remember seeing someone mention that surgical-grade tubing makes a good substitute for those belts.
That link seems to be defunct due to the software change. I can't open it, either.

I found a place in the state of WA, the O-Ring Store, that sells bulk 3/16" diameter EPDM belting material and the glue that adheres it together. For $30, I was back in business!

Jul 14, 2014
North Central US
Would anyone need the pics of this repair procedure, links...maybe a video? The recent resto I completed turned-out nice w/ opposite-direction, rotating ends. The EPDM solid material worked much better than the tubing I utilized a few years ago. Less stretching and less slipping on the pulleys. I was able to move the rotators outward to the ends of the bar, instead of halfway-in where they were from the factory. That, and I flipped the driver's side belt to facilitate the "opposite-spin" factor. Due to the non-cogged belts, the bar doesn't stay sync'd like a Twin but rather mixes it up a bit following a time of being sync'd. Eventually,it goes back to being sync'd, if run for a while... Cool, either way!

Reactions: stansdds

Beemer63qc

Jun 5, 2016
Montreal, canada
Hello there, the belts for Federal Signal CJ lights are like an “O ring”, just like yours. I got my belts NOT from Fed Sig, but from my local General Bearing Service store. So check a general bearing store that sells all sizes of o rings, maybe they can help. Bring a piece of the dry belt that you have. Also, maybe check with Kenworth or Peterbuilt , they could help.
Bernie, Montreal

Jul 14, 2014
North Central US
Hello there, the belts for Federal Signal CJ lights are like an “O ring”, just like yours. I got my belts NOT from Fed Sig, but from my local General Bearing Service store. So check a general bearing store that sells all sizes of o rings, maybe they can help. Bring a piece of the dry belt that you have. Also, maybe check with Kenworth or Peterbuilt , they could help.
Bernie, Montreal
The only issue with that scenario is the size. Not too many 3-foot diameter "O-rings" or 18" units, for that matter. The EPDM material I mention is the same material from which they make the "O-rings" such as those utilized in the 184-Series. That and when you buy it in bulk, you have room to play with your rotator distances from the motor. make sure you order the recommended glue ($3.00) to join the snipped ends. It works fast/permanently, so get ready for instantly being connected! Don't goof it up! I ordered a 10-foot piece to do both sides, was able to twist the driver's side and had about a foot left over... There's room for mistakes or changes, in other words...

Reactions: stansdds

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bassslogic

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.