Out of business

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
Just heard the news that both Grover air horns and PowerArc have closed their doors. Thoughts? Wonder if it’s a decline in business due to Covid or something else.
My idea to start a company that makes all the "traditional toys" is looking better and better.

Tango7

Jul 7, 2020
Chicago Metro Area
It appears that MC Products, makers of tank level gauges for decades, has also shuttered their doors. I tried to contact them about buying a replacement or getting warranty service for a replacement unit we bought last year and their website is blank, with only a pop-up screen asking for a user name and password. Their phone lines are answered by "the number you have reached" and none of their emails work anymore.
Combine that with finding their products in the clearance section of fire equipment suppliers and it doesn't spell good things.
1650932599033.png

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
It appears that MC Products, makers of tank level gauges for decades, has also shuttered their doors. I tried to contact them about buying a replacement or getting warranty service for a replacement unit we bought last year and their website is blank, with only a pop-up screen asking for a user name and password. Their phone lines are answered by "the number you have reached" and none of their emails work anymore.
Combine that with finding their products in the clearance section of fire equipment suppliers and it doesn't spell good things.
View attachment 236435
I hate to see the little guys go, and I'm not one to support monopolies , but the fire/ems/police equipment industry has been overdue for a consolidation for some time compared to other industries. Federal signal needs to scoop up all the "toys" like horns an also the accessories like this. While they are at it they can pick up Code 3. Then we are left with Sound Off for smaller vehicles and Whelen for full apparatus.

Reactions: 94yj and Tango7

ur20v

Feb 3, 2017
Northern Virginia
I hate to see the little guys go, and I'm not one to support monopolies , but the fire/ems/police equipment industry has been overdue for a consolidation for some time compared to other industries. Federal signal needs to scoop up all the "toys" like horns an also the accessories like this. While they are at it they can pick up Code 3. Then we are left with Sound Off for smaller vehicles and Whelen for full apparatus.
Too late. Code 3 is part of the ECCO evil (cheap) empire...

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
Too late. Code 3 is part of the ECCO evil (cheap) empire..
I meant the whole cheap enchilada, ECCO and all. Obviously that probably won't happen but it Code 3 ECCO is fast becoming something other than "the big 3". Another "mostly amber and back up alarms" company. Either way, small niche companies have been more prevalent in public safety than one would expect.

Abacus

May 24, 2010
Sydney Australia
I hadn't heard that re Power Arc. I have one of their dashlights still in a box. Code3 every now and again produce a good product. The Defenders are insanely bright but run so hot and other recent lightbars barely glow.

Reactions: Mattdecker

lightningbow

Aug 24, 2022
Los Angeles
Turns out Grover is not going away just yet! theairhornguys.com is carrying on the Grover line!

My idea to start a company that makes all the "traditional toys" is looking better and better.

theairhornguys.com is already on it with the Grover Products air horns. They are out of LA, I think.

Tango7

Jul 7, 2020
Chicago Metro Area
Buell Airhorns out of Chicago has some great horns

The first engine I drove in a parade was a gas powered Howe '67 Ford Cabover. It had Buells run off an SCBA bottle @ 120 psi... hitting the foot switch literally caused a sonic shock wave through the crowd.

<notnice>It was pretty awesome </notnice>

Reactions: NVFD612 and fp13-2

Mattdecker

Mar 16, 2013
Barren County, Kentucky
I hadn't heard that re Power Arc. I have one of their dashlights still in a box. Code3 every now and again produce a good product. The Defenders are insanely bright but run so hot and other recent lightbars barely glow.
I’ve been looking for one forever in red for my truck. I’m putting it on hold since I just bought a Rumbler for my truck but I’ll be looking again soon. Lol.

One of our mutual aid departments has a truck that belongs to the National Park Service and it’s decked out with PowerArc.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hilux01

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.