Green lollipop?

stansdds

May 25, 2010
U.S.A., Virginia
Don't know, but I have not bought anything related to emergency lighting since my purchase of a Federal Signal Model 14, Series A1. Also, I don't have anything green in my collection. Well, looks like I will come Saturday! :D

May 21, 2010
Western Montana
Don't know, but I have not bought anything related to emergency lighting since my purchase of a Federal Signal Model 14, Series A1. Also, I don't have anything green in my collection. Well, looks like I will come Saturday! :D
Good for you! If there was a sister to this one I might bite and throw some oddball arrangement together on a Visibar, but I don't think an opposing red or amber would go well. And it'll probably be 20 more years before another green pops up on Ebay:rolleyes:!

stansdds

May 25, 2010
U.S.A., Virginia
Good for you! If there was a sister to this one I might bite and throw some oddball arrangement together on a Visibar, but I don't think an opposing red or amber would go well. And it'll probably be 20 more years before another green pops up on Ebay:rolleyes:!
Yeah, I've not seen one in green before, decided to jump on it. That's how I came into possession of that Series A1 Model 14. Saw, knew it was rare, paid the asking price.

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
Only posting as it's the first time I've seen a green lollipop of any make/model. Was this unique to N.Y. agencies?

I usually only see single sided green flashers (i.e. to pair with a red). A dual sided is interesting, maybe a NY EMS vollie.

lotsofbars

Jul 20, 2010
NYC, New York
The only people who use green in NY State are volunteer EMS. With that being said, I've never seen anything like this anywhere before.

stansdds

May 25, 2010
U.S.A., Virginia
This light is now in my possession. It is a case of what you see is what you get. It's a bit crusty and dirty, chrome is pitted and worn off in spots, and there is a rubber mounting gasket on the base. The lenses are intact, not broken or severely scratched, just slightly weathered. Lenses are green plastic, not tinted, dyed, or painted. The light base is marked as a Signal Stat 364, SAE-71, lenses have the same identifying markings. I dunno, maybe these are like green Twinsonic domes, not a catalog item, but made as a custom order.

Reactions: JohnMarcson

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
This light is now in my possession. It is a case of what you see is what you get. It's a bit crusty and dirty, chrome is pitted and worn off in spots, and there is a rubber mounting gasket on the base. The lenses are intact, not broken or severely scratched, just slightly weathered. Lenses are green plastic, not tinted, dyed, or painted. The light base is marked as a Signal Stat 364, SAE-71, lenses have the same identifying markings. I dunno, maybe these are like green Twinsonic domes, not a catalog item, but made as a custom order.

Older flashers/directional lights had some crossover in lenses between companies and green was almost always an option somehow. Look at some old Chicago fire pics, the variety of directional lights that you never thought had a green lens is interesting.

Reactions: stansdds
May 21, 2010
Western Montana
Older flashers/directional lights had some crossover in lenses between companies and green was almost always an option somehow. Look at some old Chicago fire pics, the variety of directional lights that you never thought had a green lens is interesting.
Good point and as you state John, the only application I've seen is with the Chicago FD (per their adoption of maritime tradition). I'm sure someone will come along with a picture of this one in action at some point!

Reactions: kitn1mcc

Skulldigger

Aug 23, 2015
Georgia / USA
my purchase of a Federal Signal Model 14, Series A1.

I was wondering about this a few days ago and just ran across this post. Have you posted a picture of the A1? I think we discussed before about A1's in existence after finding a 184 A2.

stansdds

May 25, 2010
U.S.A., Virginia
I was wondering about this a few days ago and just ran across this post. Have you posted a picture of the A1? I think we discussed before about A1's in existence after finding a 184 A2.
I did, but I cannot find the thread in which I posted pictures and the story of how I came into possession of a very rare, Federal Signal Model 14, Series A1. Anyway, here are a few pics of it. When you see the motor, you will understand the major difference between the Model 14 Series A1 and Series A2.

P1000365.jpg

P1000376.jpg

P1000371.jpg

P1000373.jpg

Skulldigger

Aug 23, 2015
Georgia / USA
When you see the motor, you will understand the major difference between the Model 14 Series A1 and Series A2.

Wow, that is different. Very cool find. A very important discovery. I have no doubt now there is an A1 184 out there somewhere. This rewrites history!

stansdds

May 25, 2010
U.S.A., Virginia
Wow, that is different. Very cool find. A very important discovery. I have no doubt now there is an A1 184 out there somewhere. This rewrites history!

Yes, it does. The motor in the Model 14 Series A1 is an open frame motor, very much like that in the Model 15 Junior Beacon Ray of the 1960's. My theory is that this motor was sufficient for the Model 14, but insufficient for the Model 11 Twin Beacon Ray. Why use two different motors, one in a single beacon, the other in a twin beacon bar, when you can standardize on one motor? If that theory is correct, it explains the scarcity of the Series A1 Model 14 and the shared motor in the Model 11 Twin and the Model 14 Series A2 beacons.

Reactions: Maxim2Eng

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
airflores

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.