Beacon Ray 176s

ex416

Apr 28, 2011
West Central Wisconsin
I recently bought these beautiful Beacon Ray 176s from member Hyperjohnny. They make very nice additions to my Beacon Ray collection.

Beacon Ray 176s 001.jpg

Beacon Ray 176s 009.jpg

Beacon Ray 176s 005.jpg

Beacon Ray 176s 007.jpg

Beacon Ray 176s 013.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

hyperjohnny

Nov 1, 2010
WI USA
Gentlemen,

I would like to thank both of you for your business and your kind words. In addition, to the others, who may not have the patience and understanding the two of you possess. You fellas waited a while to get your stuff, too, if I remember correctly! To me, delivery in-person is always better. I guess i'm a little old-fashioned that way. Business w/ a handshake and a face w/ the name (or nickname as the case may be) is the way I've always done things.

It makes me feel good seeing this equipment go to good homes where it will be restored/saved and appreciated. Doing this as long as I have, I've seen this equipment get tossed, crushed, thrown in back rooms, stepped-on, tossed into dumpsters because it made the trucks/cars look old, be complained about because of the amperage draws and on and on... These, as you all know, were made back when things were made to last and to be serviced. They will outlast all of us! Guaranteed, once we are all dead and buried, these "pieces of history" and all the others are so well made, we couldn't wear them out in any of our displays or showcases in our or our children's lifetime! They really represent a by-gone era in their own way. Who, as a kid, didn't run out to the curb upon hearing a siren coming down the street to see some big red truck or some fast moving squad car roll past in all it's glory, (if you're old enough) with one of these spinning away! At night you could spot them miles away, even with those old low-wattage sealed-beams!

I guess nostalgia is big right now and this is your guy's way of preserving a piece of that. I'm glad I can help by providing that little piece that's small enough to be set on a shelf or put behind one's bar in their basement. I too, have a few of these "rememberances". It's more of a reminder of what I used to deal with more than the nostalgia aspect but it doesn't mean I don't appreciate them any less. I'll keep plugging along on my end, you guys keep enjoying!

A sincere THANK YOU to all my clients (friends) here on ELB and in the field!

-hyperjohnny

ex416

Apr 28, 2011
West Central Wisconsin
Skip Goulet said:
Super nice lights. Johnny, did you do the restoration yourself? Nice job, either way. Too bad you're so damned far from Texas!

he (John) told me other than putting on the NOS clear domes that was the way they came off the truck. the only thing i did was a little polishing and buffing. it sure didn't take a lot of effort to get them into that shape.

toon80

May 24, 2010
Laval, Canada
Skip Goulet said:
No! Look at the video: the 175s and 176s both rotate. Only the 174 oscillated.

Thanks for the info Skip! I was asking because where I am now, the internet sucks and I can't load any form of video :p

jradue

Mar 6, 2013
Lone Rock, WI
ex416 said:
he (John) told me other than putting on the NOS clear domes that was the way they came off the truck. the only thing i did was a little polishing and buffing. it sure didn't take a lot of effort to get them into that shape.

The one I got from John had what appeared to be a NOS plastic dome. I replaced it with a near mint glass dome I won on Ebay. That is the one in the video I posted.

DalmatProd

Dec 26, 2011
USA - FL
Excellent lights! You can easily tell how much care Hyperjohnny put into them. They look as good today as they probably did coming out of the boxes.

Enjoy them is good health and prosperity.

Steve

DalmatProd

Skip Goulet

Feb 23, 2011
Midland, TX
ex416 said:

Sweet! Someone took good care of them.

Skip Goulet

Feb 23, 2011
Midland, TX
toon80 said:
Thanks for the info Skip! I was asking because where I am now, the internet sucks and I can't load any form of video :p

I know the feeling. If I use the computer at the library as I am now, I can view almost anything. But occasionally I use the computer at the workforce office and they block quite a bit, such as YouTube and others

These two 176s remind me of a pair of 175s that I bought in 1976 that went on a 1965 Pontiac Consort ambulance that I put in service. An ambulance builder in KS that also had an equipment line that they were shutting down. I got the two 175s at clearance prices. So on the ambulance went the pair of 175s on the front corners with a Q in the center. There were two red DoRay lollipops between the Q and the beacons and a blue Dietz 211WW beacon behind the Q. And to top it off I had an Interceptor with a grille mount speaker. Not a bad package at all for the day and time.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.