This is pretty cool..........

stansdds

May 25, 2010
U.S.A., Virginia
Never looked better! Glad these pieces of TV history have been preserved.

May 21, 2010
Western Montana
Gulp, has it really been 50 years?! Can't believe how goofy some of the episodes were but always entertaining ( how come I didn't called out to rescue a beautiful girl with her big toe stuck in the bathtub faucet when I was a volunteer firefighter/EMT:(?).

I'm also appreciative that I wasn't born into a family named Mantooth!

Gulp, has it really been 50 years?! Can't believe how goofy some of the episodes were but always entertaining ( how come I didn't called out to rescue a beautiful girl with her big toe stuck in the bathtub faucet when I was a volunteer firefighter/EMT:(?).

I'm also appreciative that I wasn't born into a family named Mantooth!
My how time flies (tempus fidget) when WE’RE having fun!

An amazing person by the name of Wilma Mankiller was Prinipal Chief of the Cherokee Nation in the mid 80s.

Reactions: stansdds

bpollard

Jun 13, 2010
USA, SC
Station 51, 10-4. KMG-365.
when I was much younger, we still used FCC call signs and rules.

Ours was KCG-500 for dispatch, and each station had its unique ID:

"KCG-501, Mobile 10 to KCG-500 County Control, we are responding" meant the lead engine from Station 1 was rolling. KCG-500 was our dispatch. Every hour, on the hour, dispatch would announce the time for the tape recording. "KCG-500 to all units, the time is 2300 hours"

Our dispatchers each had a simplex timeclock at their consoles, such as you would have seen in a factory for employees to "clock in". When a job (call) was dispatched to a station, the dispatcher would punch a timecard to mark the time, and hand write a brief note on the card "station 1 dispatched to house fire at blah blah. There were a row of clothes pin looking clips above each console, one for each station. when the dispatcher opened the clip it broke an electrical circuit which caused a light at the console and on the main display up front to go out, signifying that station was on a call. The dispatcher would stick the time card in the clip to keep the light off. and punch it again each time to document time on scene, departing scene, etc.

even today we still use the term "start a card for me" or "close the card". probably most folks dont know the origin of the terms.

and yes, before anyone can say it, we then fed the horses and put them in the barn until the next fire call..........

Reactions: Nolines and RyanZ71

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Safetylight5

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.