Power draw for Mini-Edge? Cig plug possible?

Jun 25, 2010
Upstate NY
I have a refurbished mini-edge I would love to put on my car. It was four corner strobes, and front and rear dual center halogen flashers. I remember years ago Galls advertised a mini-edge with a cig plug.

I do not want to direct wire this. Given the power draw, is a cig plug even possible? It came direct wired so I'd need to have that remediated.

I also have an 8-head Mini-Freedom, same question.

StEaLtH2

Mar 3, 2011
New England
I have a refurbished mini-edge I would love to put on my car. It was four corner strobes, and front and rear dual center halogen flashers. I remember years ago Galls advertised a mini-edge with a cig plug.

I do not want to direct wire this. Given the power draw, is a cig plug even possible? It came direct wired so I'd need to have that remediated.

I also have an 8-head Mini-Freedom, same question.

The “safest” way would be to wire a receptacle, with sufficient wire and fused at the battery for you to plug the bar into.
The plug will still got hot after extended use I believe.

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
They sold magnet mount mini edges with a cigarette plug. However they always blew the fuses of the lighter port or in the plug itself. I would not recommend it.

Reactions: C17LVFD
May 21, 2010
Minnesota
If you are looking for a quick connect type you have a few options. The strobes and halogens would be too much for a single outlet.

You could use Anderson Power Pole quick connects or a molex connector with mutiple pins for positive and negative. You might be able to get away with heavy gauge spade terminals but the connections would become weak in a short period of time.

Jun 25, 2010
Upstate NY
Thank you for the advice, I am reconciling that I'll have to do some sort of direct wire. I decided to go full hipster with my POV, wanted something vintage, up until now I'd mounted a single 175 fpm blue Federal Signal Sentry, however I discovered yesterday the coats of rubber sealing didn't stop it from rusting my roof after 2 weeks. I found a mount on Amazon that should prove workable.
I really want to go with the (remanufactured) mini-edge. (I have an 8 Lin-6 mini-justice that I ran for years, but it's not hipster enough).

NPS Ranger

May 21, 2010
Penn's Woods
A regular 4 pin trailer male/female connector is easily available, will work fine and would also give you a couple of extra wires if you wanted to switch the halogen flashers separately. Fuse it close to the battery..

Reactions: JohnMarcson
Jun 25, 2010
Upstate NY
I had actually been thinking about wiring in a way where the halogen flashers could be controlled separately.

Bonus, bought a bracket on Amazon and fixed my FedSig Sentry mounting issue.
1664650371785.png

Reactions: Jarred J.

Nolines

Apr 5, 2018
Margate, FL
Originally the mini edge came with a heavy duty cigarette lighter plug no fuse in it whatsoever and used to run real well I had it on the one that I purchased but changed it over to one with a switch so I can turn it on turn it off as needed that unfortunately does not provide enough power it needs the heavy duty cable and the heavy duty cigarette lighter plug in order to run the bar I have a 6-stroke that only for The strokes would work after a while because it was pulling too much power and just ended up stop working with the setup that I had considering just going straight to switch box and a connector on the light bar connection on the right hand side be pillar of my crown Vic.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
airflores

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.